2005 Top 25 Power Ratings Teams

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Devil Dog

Forum Member
Feb 1, 2004
Springfield, Ohio
2005 Preseason top 25 power ratings.
These are my top 25 preseason power ratings. These are ?raw? ratings before fall practice that I put together after spring practice; these are good ballpark numbers. I have been working on a reliable set of power ratings for several years as I am always trying to make them sharper and more accurate. I use post fall practice numbers to help me come up with my own point spread and have been fairly successful. Out of all the college games that were played last year I was only five percent behind the opening line [reflected actual score] that was posted at the Stardust. Not too bad I think for a struggling amateur trying to improve his handicapping skills. These numbers reflect: Recruiting, Impact players, Talent, Programs, Returning starters, Starters lost, Experience, Class, Winning/Losing history, Conference, X-factor,and Kentucky wind-age. As you see it has a high element of subjective factors. What this does not include: Results of fall practice, Coaching, Schedules, Injuries, Dismissals, Playing surface, Home field advantage, Travel distance, Weather, Emotional or Situational factors, and the X-factor.
I hope you find this a little helpful and enjoyable. Constructive comments are always welcomed.
Best Wishes
Devil Dog
PS. I put some comments after a few of the teams but I must confess that I had a few cool brews when I was doing this.
1.Texas-168 Great talent combined with experience. If Young improves his reads and cuts down on his ints. They could win it all. The Brown factor bothers me.
2. USC-167? How can you not like this team? Talented, top coach, top program, explosive players, solid defense that will only get better. Can they withstand what seems to be ?Death by 1000 cuts??
3. LSU-166 Maybe the best team here in the last five years. Needs continued QB improvement. This team is loaded; the RBs are scary and deep. I?m not crazy about Miles.
4. Michigan-165 Another strong Wolverine team. After 11 yrs. I still don?t know if I like Carr or not.
4. Ohio St.-165 Another top team from Columbus. What has happened to their running game? If they can keep Haw rFr. out of jail and if Pittman So. Can stay healthy the running game will be much improved.
5. Georgia-164? Mature team with experience. QB Shockley needs to step up. I have always liked Mark Richt.
6. Auburn-163 QBs are always a factor; you don?t need a great one, only one that doesn?t make too many mistakes and can handle ?onus.? The heat is off Tuberville for now.
6. Miami Fla.-163 This team always has top talent. One of the best stop units in the nation. Tends to be a little overrated at times. Coker 44-6.
7. Florida-162? I think Meyer is a great fit for the Gators. Plenty of talent and experience; thank you Ron.
8. Purdue-158 This is a very good team. Tiller is responsible for the Big Ten?s transformation in the way they have to defend the passing game. Rushing yards will improve this year.
9. Tennessee-157? A fine and experienced Volunteer team that could go to the big dance. Am I the only one that isn?t too keen on Fulmer? He does produce many winners. I like this QB Ainge; he seems like the real deal to me.
10. Colorado-156? Klatt needs to make better decisions. This is Barnett?s best team yet here at Colorado. Hope no one files a law suit on me for saying that.
10. Oklahoma-156? Top talent, top program, I still believe they are still thinking about the butt-whipping they took last year in the Orange bowl. Can you imagine giving USC any points at all?..Hello.
11. Virginia Tech-156 Beamer ball is always formidable. Can Vick stay out of the Dog House? Hard to improve on Randall?s numbers but team will have a different chemistry.
11. Penn St.-156 And you thought Paterno had left for a rest home. Miami Fla. Made that mistake.
11. Boston College-156 Surprised me too. Maybe you need to take another look @ the BYU game before you lay your money on the Cougars. O?Brien has done a great job here and this looks like a good physical team.
12. N.C. State-155 Do you think they will have a ?17 in turnovers this year? And what about all that penalty yardage?
13.Clemson-153 Bowden had better not lose too many games this year.
14. Iowa-152? Ferentz. How can you not like this top coach and his team? Depth does seem thin in some areas.
15. Alabama-152 Shula?s best team.
15. Oregon-152
15. Miami Oh.-152 A very talented top MAC team. Top program. But this seems a little high.
15. Minnesota-152
15. Texas A&M 152 Not quite an A team yet [ ask Tennessee] but will make plenty of noise this year.
16. Florida St.-151? Top program but if anything else happens down there Bowden will need a prescription for Ativan.
17.Louisville-150? Media Darling. I have questions about their defense.
18. Texas Tech 150 If you are a wide receiver this is the program for you. That?s not UFOs over Lubbock, it?s footballs.
19. Washington- 148?
20. Virginia-148
21. Notre Dame-147? I always think about Knute Rockne and the Four Horsemen when this fine school in mentioned.
22..Arkansas-147 This is a dangerous team.
22. North Carolina 147 This team?s schedule scares me and I fought in Southeast Asia.
22. Oregon St.-147
22 Washington St-147
23. Michigan St. 146 I always seem to overrate these guys every year.
24 Arizona ?145
24.Syracuse-145
25. Fresno St. 144?
25 Iowa St.-144?
25. Utah- 144? I know you were looking for this one.
Best Wishes
Devil Dog

gman2

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2002
definitely surprised miami (ohio) projected that high, because i think theyre no better than 3rd-best in the MAC. incidentally, im surprised bowling green didnt make your cut, especially based on the criteria that your numbers account for. bg returns a guy who threw 40 tds, a running back who accounted for 20 tds, and two big-time receivers. i think the mac is pretty clear cut with bowling green out ahead of the pack, toledo 2nd, and miami 3rd. as you said, your numbers dont account for variables like coaching, and miami now has the youngest coach in college football. redhawks have some serious talent at wide receiver, but no running back, and only a decent quarterback. definitely surprised your numbers projected them that high.

i think the mid-level ranking of iowa is interesting. hawkeyes have never really gotten the big10 spotlight, since it usually is shone on ohio state and michigan. consequently, hawkeyes have had a lot of line value the last few seasons. but now, theyre EXPECTED to be the best team in the conference, and one of the best in the nation as well. different kind of mindset for the hawkeyes. we'll see if they can live up to the billing. i think the preseason rankings by some media outlets (top 3 or 4) are a much too high. but i think yours might have 'em a little low. think they'll turn out to be a top 8 or 9 team.

those pac10 teams in the teens and twenties(washington, arizona, and oregon state) dont belong, but oregon should be very solid. pac10 will be a two-horse race, but those are two good horses.

appreciate you takin the time to post. very interesting stuff.

Cie

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 30, 2003
New Orleans
Thanks for posting.

Can they withstand what seems to be ?Death by 1000 cuts??
With a tougher schedule, the answer would likely be no. With this schedule it would appear anything less than 10-1 would be an embarassment.

I?m not crazy about Miles
Me neither.

QB Shockley needs to step up
Don't think he will. Can't handle pass rush at all. Seems confused a good portion of the time. 3 loss season on the horizon.

Florida-162? I think Meyer is a great fit for the Gators. Plenty of talent and experience; thank you Ron.
Clear second choice to Tenn in the SEC East IMO. Gotta see how Leak performs in the 1st half of the season.

Alabama-152 Shula?s best team.
Without a doubt. This D should be sick. Good running game. I think they compete with LSU for SEC West.

Louisville-150? Media Darling. I have questions about their defense
I don't buy into them either. Gotta be able stop people to win the big games.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Devil Dog

Forum Member
Feb 1, 2004
Springfield, Ohio
G-Man

G-Man

G-Man: Without a doubt you are the man in the MAC; your write ups always carry a high priority when I read posts here @ MJs. I too was a little surprised at the high number that Miami Oh. generated as I mentioned. I have Bowling Green and Toledo finishing second and third. Miami generated such a high number driven by the amount of their returing starters, >13 [17] that meet my guidlines. Josh Betts I believe is more than an average QB but I am not comparing him with the frist round draft choice Omar Jacobs who is in my opnion one of the top three QBs in college football this year. Not to mention Mr. Pope @ 6.2 and Mr. Sanders 17.9. I would have rated BG a little higher[pre-fall] but they did not quite meet my guidelines concering the offensive line and the loss of four of their top six tacklers. These numbers change when fall practice has concluded but usually not radically. These numbers also do not compare a team's strenght vs opponents weakness in individual match-ups as that is used when the season starts and I come up with the opening line for that paticular game. Thank you for your comments.
Also my niece is a sophmore @ Toledo and I'm already lobbing her for possible tickets to the Nov.22 game @ BG.
Best Wishes
Devil Dog

Devil Dog

Forum Member
Feb 1, 2004
Springfield, Ohio
Cie Grant

Cie Grant

I could never understand why Nick Saban would leave LSU to go anywhere. I guess he has to follow his dream or whatever.
Best Wishes
Devil Dog

Scott4USC

Fight On!
Forum Member
Sep 11, 2002
Devil Dog

Great post and I enjoyed reading your comments. I have question. You obviously use your power ratings to predict games ATS. So how exactly do you use it?

For example.......

V-Tech is -156 and NC St. is -155. So according to your power rankings NC ST should be +1 underdogs. Currect Vegas line is NC ST. +6. So is this a play with 5pt difference? Or do you even add on more pts to the home team? Meaning NC St. now becomes an even bigger play?

Or do you tread lightly in the beginning of the year?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Devil Dog

Forum Member
Feb 1, 2004
Springfield, Ohio
Scott4USC

Scott4USC

Scott: actually my numbers tend to be better as a general rule the early part of the season. After the first four weeks Vegas numbers are very good and mine seem to lose some of their steam; I keep trying to adjust them using different approaches. This has been a trial by fire as I have constantly been trying to improve my technique and results. One thing Vegas has to do is to allow for public perception. I don't. This is where some line value concept comes into play and really thats what we are are seeking. Anyway back to your question. Yes N.Carolina St @ +1 and we add Home field advantage. N.C. State's HF advantage is +3 for Carter-Finley Stadium. A difference of 8 pts off the Vegas line. Since we are handicapping this game lets finish. Again I say these are "Raw ratings" but let us continue. I would take a look at this game in more depth.
These teams look to be almost a mirror image of each other on both offense and defense. The difference in the number is partly due to the return of Marcus Vick who hasn't played in a game since 03 and the under performing Wolfpack from last year who were -17 in turnovers and 115 th in penalties. Remember what I said about perception. This is a TV game ESPN-2 and a Sunday night game; the home crowd will be fired up. Right now I would be looking at taking the points for a regular bet. I believe the line value is with the Wolfpack. But remember what looks good on August 9 th may not look good on September 4 th.
Best wishes
Devil Dog

Scott4USC

Fight On!
Forum Member
Sep 11, 2002
Devil Dog

Very impressive. You really have to believe in your system/#'s to spend the time to calculate it for every team, then wager $$$ on it. It makes sense. I specifically liked what you said about your #'s reflecting only the teams while vegas #'s reflect on the teams + public bettors. If it is not too time consuming, I would love to see your weekly power ratings. Thanks for the hard work! Power ratings I enjoy looking over is Sagarin power ratings. His calculations are very logical.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

gjn23

Forum Member
Mar 20, 2002
So. Cal
as much as i'd love to agree with you about arizona.....24th in the nation??????

yikes

but even worse is washington....19th......are you watching the right team?????? i dont see them above 8th in the pac-10

Devil Dog

Forum Member
Feb 1, 2004
Springfield, Ohio
gin23

gin23

I understand how you feel. Remember these are the top 25 highest ratings and they are 40 teams; it's not how they will end up as the mix will be different with some old and new faces. I use this as one tool for my handicapping. Washington generated this high number for a reason ; their is more talent on that team then last years pathetic 1-10 record suggests. Power ratings that are out of line with the official line raises a flag and I look for a possible play. My number could be wrong then again it could be right. I've yet to beat the Stardust's opening line for the season but last year my numbers were my best so far; I'm just trying to slay the Dragon as we all have a common goal.
I really like Stoops as he is up grading the talent and people seem to be supporting him and his effort.
Thanks for your comments
Best Wishes
Devil Dog

Devil Dog

Forum Member
Feb 1, 2004
Springfield, Ohio
hawkeye

hawkeye

Injuries always down grade a team over the course of the season but every team faces them.
I've been disappointed in Barnett also and he is hard to trust.
Best Wishes
Devil Dog

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Devil Dog

Forum Member
Feb 1, 2004
Springfield, Ohio
Scott4USC

Scott4USC

Scott I will post my post "Fall" power ratings around Sept 1. I do not have these in a spread sheet form ; I guess that might show my age as I still use my hand held calculator and a printed form I had formated at Office Max. Putting out weekly ratings for each team would be a very time consuming endeavor; my keyboard skills are limited and I would not have the time. If you or anyone would like a number on a particular game I could possibly post them here if MJ doesn't have any problem with that.
Best Wishes
Devil Dog
PS I do plan on taking a spread sheet and a keyboard course next winter after college football is over.

Scott4USC

Fight On!
Forum Member
Sep 11, 2002
I look forward to your ratings and completely understand if you wish to not post them. I think if posters who might be interested ask you for specific matchups would be the best approach. I think there is software you can purchase through internet that helps calculate your powerratings. You put in what you want etc. I am not sure on that but maybe posters here know more about it. Doing it by hand takes a lot of patience and dedication. Not to mention risk of human error. Hopefully it works out for you and after you take your computer class you prob. wish you did it years ago!

Nastics

Forum Member
Apr 15, 2005
Washington

Washington

Great work with the Power Ratings. I have to agree with gjn23 though, I live in Tacoma and follow Washington and their talent level is very low right now. In fact, their offensive line is probably the worst bunch they have ever had in the last 30-40 years. And the QB position...whew...a complete rag-tag group. They will have a very hard time scoring points. Nowhere near a #19 team, #60 or lower is closer to the truth.