2009 PGA Championship - advice

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
For those of you who have been to one of these in the past, or a major or even regular tour tournament, if you had two days to attend, what days would they be? I purchased '09 PGA tix with a group of guys and have two tickets for two days - one week day and one week end. I think I'd like to go to one of the early week days, when the players are more relaxed and practicing, and more likely to talk to the public, that kind of thing. I was thinking about Tuesday. And I asked for the Saturday tickets, as that day is pretty intense and competitive, and still would have that night to continue partying someplace fun and not have the strictness and probable bigger crowds compared to Sunday.

Thoughts?

And anyone really familiar with the area around Hazeltine have a suggestion for a reasonable hotel that close to a sports bar or something, that would be great. I've googled the thing, and have some ideas.

Thanks for any input.

Another Steve

Put Pete In
Forum Member
Jul 7, 2002
Benbrook
Those are good days, No Pro-Am, so practice rounds will be full of action. Saturday is a Great day, Sunday..at times if just too full..everyday will be packed but Saturday would really good, then you can watch the final.

Remember, not buy stuff as you get there, have to carry it all day...wait till the end of the day.

birdieman

Forum Member
Dec 6, 2005
There are no Pro-Am's for majors but I would try to go early in the week and on Thurs or Fri. After the cut you have less golfers on the course so it can get tough to see the action. If you do go on the weekend I suggest you go early-when the gates open-take a chair, find a good spot close to a green, bathroom close by, beer and food tent close-by. If you try to walk around you will miss too much and wear yourself out. If you want to get close to the players find a place close to where they walk off the green to the next tee. Please don't yell, "you da man." Have a good time.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
There are no Pro-Am's for majors but I would try to go early in the week and on Thurs or Fri. After the cut you have less golfers on the course so it can get tough to see the action. If you do go on the weekend I suggest you go early-when the gates open-take a chair, find a good spot close to a green, bathroom close by, beer and food tent close-by. If you try to walk around you will miss too much and wear yourself out. If you want to get close to the players find a place close to where they walk off the green to the next tee. Please don't yell, "you da man." Have a good time.

winna :toast:

sounds like good advice to me.

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
Good advice, fellas, thanks. That's a good point about a Thursday or Friday round opposed to Saturday - many of the players will be cut, and in a Major that could be some of the players I'd like to watch. Might try to switch, although the excitement and intensity of Saturday does intrigue me, plus not having to take two vacation days for the event.

I know I'm getting a hotel room for the night after the weekday and really enjoying (drinking) myself.

Although I understand sitting by a green, especially getting there early and heading to the far away part of the course to get a great spot, I really enjoyed walking around and finding a good spot about where the drives land. It's pretty cool listening to the players and the caddies talk about clubs, approach to the shots, strategy, etc. And if the weather is hot and sunny, it could be brutal just sitting in a crowded area, even with an umbrella chair or something. Plus, not sure I'd enjoy just the putting action on the green, as opposed to different parts of the course. Maybe I'll do the sit down thing early, then move around later. The food/bathroom/beer area is a key, great point.

If anyone has any specific tips about the course itself - like a good place to get to to watch, interesting greens, etc., that would be great. Thanks a lot for the ideas already - great ideas.

redsfann

ale connoisseur
Forum Member
Aug 3, 1999
Somewhere in Corn Country
For those of you who have been to one of these in the past, or a major or even regular tour tournament, if you had two days to attend, what days would they be? I purchased '09 PGA tix with a group of guys and have two tickets for two days - one week day and one week end. I think I'd like to go to one of the early week days, when the players are more relaxed and practicing, and more likely to talk to the public, that kind of thing. I was thinking about Tuesday. And I asked for the Saturday tickets, as that day is pretty intense and competitive, and still would have that night to continue partying someplace fun and not have the strictness and probable bigger crowds compared to Sunday.

Thoughts?

And anyone really familiar with the area around Hazeltine have a suggestion for a reasonable hotel that close to a sports bar or something, that would be great. I've googled the thing, and have some ideas.

Thanks for any input.

If it were me I'd go Friday and Saturday. No pro-Ams at a major and while the practice days are cool because you can take pictures, the pros will act as if you aren't there, won't be chatty with the crowd or acknowledge you in any way. They are really that focused--or I'd like to believe thats the way they are rather than being stuck-up assholes--maybe your experience would be different if you go on a practice day--but as far as the regular PGA tour goes--I'd skip the practice rounds unless you want some pics of the pros and the course.
Following a group is cool, but be prepared to not see much if you follow Tiger or Phil as they draw HUGE crowds regardless of where they are on the leaderboard.
If you go Friday and want to follow a group around the course, get there by 8 or so and have at it. No crowds at that time of the morning and if the group you decide to follow doesn't have any big names in it you won't have any problems seeing their tee balls, heading down the fairway to see their 2nd shots and then getting to the green in time to see their putts.
If you haven't seen a major golf tourney in person before be prepared to be blown away by the hospitality tents, the grandstands and the # of people attending on the weekends. Its an impressive sight.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

justin22g

WAR EAGLE!
Forum Member
Sep 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Find a good par 4 where you can see the green AND the tee box. that way you get to watch all the action. This is tough w/ it being a major though because of the crowd.

If you've never been to a practice round before, I would suggest going to one, especially a major. It is laid back and some of the players will interact with the crowd.

lostinamerica

Forum Member
Oct 10, 2001
Between Green Bay and Iowa City
Chad - Curious what days you'll be there, although I won't be going.

I've been meaning to reply to this thread for . . . 8 months, and now I'm about to catch a few hours sleep before heading to the Belterra outing for the weekend.

Anyway, I'll start working on a "quick" post, and I'll edit it with further info when time permits.

The only tournaments I've been to are majors: 1975 U.S. Open @ Medinah (All 4 days) (Thursday and Friday were a hazy furnace) (Tied for best/favorite); 1976 P.G.A. @ Congressional (Saturday) (soaking wet); 1987 U.S. Open @ Olympic (6 days) (Best/favorite, but should have been 100,000 times better at the end); 1990 U.S. Open @ Medinah (6 days but not playoff) (followed Hale Irwin and Greg Norman on Sunday); 1991 U.S. Open @ Hazeltine (6 days plus Monday playoff) (was standing on the roots of a huge oak during a deluge on Thursday, with hundreds more in the same grove doing the same thing, when a lightning strike killed a young guy under a willow about 600 yards over the hill); 1998 U.S. Open @ Olympic (5 days); 1999 P.G.A. @ Medinah (All 4 days) (Tiger and Sergio); 2002 P.G.A. @ Hazeltine (Thursday through Sunday); and 2003 U.S. Open @ Olympia Fields (6 days).

Hazeltine and Olympia Fields are probably my least favorite venues, but Hazeltine definitely has my favorite viewing spot, and quite a few exceptional spots.

In the right rough along the driving zone on the Par 4 6th at Hazeltine is absolutely choice viewing (there has been some hospitality tent viewing on the left, but otherwise that side is shut down). http://www.hngc.com/TheCourse/Hole6.aspx For starters, everyone is trying to lay up to virtually the same spot. However, the lake fronting the left side of the green and the angle of the dogleg off the tee makes the right side the bailout are, and you can very frequently play shots if you stray that way among the lovely shade trees. Now because of the dogleg angle off the tee and the trees you are looking back through, it can be difficult, but not impossible, to see the tratectory of the incoming shots, but all the action happens right in front of you and, I mean right in front of you. I've had Nicklaus, Couples, Goosen and others I can't remember drive it in my lap and play shots from "our side" of the ropes, and they were creative shots to skirt the water and go for the green. (Unless the Tiger brigade or something comparable is about to come through, don't hesitate getting to the balls outside the ropes, and have the presence to know where to stand initially based on where the caddy and marshalls are going to direct room for the player and his shot.) And the ones in the middle of the fairway are absolutely in your viewing wheelhouse, anyway. You then have a decent view to the green to see them finish out the hole . . . There's more . . . In 1990 and 2002, one of the least crowded concessions was no more than a couple hundred yards away. You can "take a break" and easily slide down to the 7th tee, the shortest Par 5 on the course, and watch the big guns come out. It's all easy, relaxing and vintage memories.

Truth is, I'm on the move plenty when I'm at a golf tournament, but no question I would always invest at least a couple of hours in that spot on #6.

Now that spot on #6 is not exactly "buzzing" with crowds. For that experience, there is a natural amphitheatre behind the Par 5 7th green, with lots of birdies and eagle pitches and crowd roars, etc. The crowd there tends to stay put (which helps build the crowd mentality as the day wears on), so you won't be right on top of the green if you just stop by for 45 minutes, but the viewing is still excellent.

Next, behind the 14th green has real potential. First, you'll want the pin to be in the back right of the green, right in front of you, as the wedges come in high and low. You will be standing on the side of a plenty steep hill, and if you haven't done that for two+ hours before, you'll find out it's taxing. But in 2002 you could then just turn around and see over the 4-5 deep crowd around the Par 5 15th tee box and watch the drives as well. However, they have built a new tee on #15 for this year, and it would not be the same vantage point for the new tee box if it's being used.

If the flag is on the left, there is excellent viewing from the highest (only slightly) ground on the player's front left of the Par 5 15th. The bad thing there is you are smack dab in the sun. Doesn't bother me, and I've spent plenty of time there.

If you think you find a cool spot almost anywhere at any of these tournaments, it never takes long before things filter out and folks move on and you are pertched on the ropes like a VIP. A place like the amphitheatre around # 7 would be an exception, and spots on the back nine when the leaders come through on the weekend can also be much more settled and not likely to dramatically improve.

Enjoy the viewing.

I can also give you some very current suggestions on sports bars/restaurants/etc. over in the nearby Minnetonka/Excelsior/Wayzata areas (Maynards, Lord Fletchers, or Sunsets for starters), but I can't offer much right in the Chaska/Chanhassen areas. http://www.igotrealestate.com/images/chanhassen_minnesota_map.gif

Done editing.

GL

Last edited:

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
Wow, just stumbled across this again - getting really pumped for the tourney, although looks like it's gonna be pretty hot and humid. Oh, well...thanks for the posts, and will review all this today - and respond.

Thanks guys! Going Wednesday and Saturday!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
lostinamerica - thanks SO much for the insider tips to the course. That is MONEY... and I will be hitting a couple of those spots right out of the gate. Love the sound of #6 - sounds perfect.

If you have any time, please give me suggestions on a couple good places to go for say, dinner/appetizers and good drinks for the end of the day. I think my buddy and I are getting a hotel room somewhere for Wednesday night, and he's going to maintain and be able to drive (he says...). I am gonna get ripped that day and evening, and would love to go someplace hopping that evening. Needless to say, attractive women to at least look at would be a plus, especially in the conditions we'll be in... :SIB

dogface

Registered STUD
Forum Member
Feb 13, 2000
Minnesota
Not sure what days I will be there, but it will be several days I am hopeful. After last year's LPGA event... no way I can miss this one with Tiger! (LMAO not as exciting as NASCAR was, but this will be up there!)

dogface

Cie

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 30, 2003
New Orleans
I've only been to the tourney in New Orleans, now known as the Zurich Classic. Because our tourney is small potatoes, I was able to enjoy weekends just as much as weekdays. Of course, the Zurich was rescheduled to same weekend as New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, so I haven't been in a few years. You should have several interesting pairings to follow. It's gonna be a blast either way you choose. Have fun, Chad:toast:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Cie

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 30, 2003
New Orleans
Chad - Curious what days you'll be there, although I won't be going.

I've been meaning to reply to this thread for . . . 8 months, and now I'm about to catch a few hours sleep before heading to the Belterra outing for the weekend.

Anyway, I'll start working on a "quick" post, and I'll edit it with further info when time permits.

The only tournaments I've been to are majors: 1975 U.S. Open @ Medinah (All 4 days) (Thursday and Friday were a hazy furnace) (Tied for best/favorite); 1976 P.G.A. @ Congressional (Saturday) (soaking wet); 1987 U.S. Open @ Olympic (6 days) (Best/favorite, but should have been 100,000 times better at the end); 1990 U.S. Open @ Medinah (6 days but not playoff) (followed Hale Irwin and Greg Norman on Sunday); 1991 U.S. Open @ Hazeltine (6 days plus Monday playoff) (was standing on the roots of a huge oak during a deluge on Thursday, with hundreds more in the same grove doing the same thing, when a lightning strike killed a young guy under a willow about 600 yards over the hill); 1998 U.S. Open @ Olympic (5 days); 1999 P.G.A. @ Medinah (All 4 days) (Tiger and Sergio); 2002 P.G.A. @ Hazeltine (Thursday through Sunday); and 2003 U.S. Open @ Olympia Fields (6 days).

Hazeltine and Olympia Fields are probably my least favorite venues, but Hazeltine definitely has my favorite viewing spot, and quite a few exceptional spots.

In the right rough along the driving zone on the Par 4 6th at Hazeltine is absolutely choice viewing (there has been some hospitality tent viewing on the left, but otherwise that side is shut down). http://www.hngc.com/TheCourse/Hole6.aspx For starters, everyone is trying to lay up to virtually the same spot. However, the lake fronting the left side of the green and the angle of the dogleg off the tee makes the right side the bailout are, and you can very frequently play shots if you stray that way among the lovely shade trees. Now because of the dogleg angle off the tee and the trees you are looking back through, it can be difficult, but not impossible, to see the tratectory of the incoming shots, but all the action happens right in front of you and, I mean right in front of you. I've had Nicklaus, Couples, Goosen and others I can't remember drive it in my lap and play shots from "our side" of the ropes, and they were creative shots to skirt the water and go for the green. (Unless the Tiger brigade or something comparable is about to come through, don't hesitate getting to the balls outside the ropes, and have the presence to know where to stand initially based on where the caddy and marshalls are going to direct room for the player and his shot.) And the ones in the middle of the fairway are absolutely in your viewing wheelhouse, anyway. You then have a decent view to the green to see them finish out the hole . . . There's more . . . In 1990 and 2002, one of the least crowded concessions was no more than a couple hundred yards away. You can "take a break" and easily slide down to the 7th tee, the shortest Par 5 on the course, and watch the big guns come out. It's all easy, relaxing and vintage memories.

Truth is, I'm on the move plenty when I'm at a golf tournament, but no question I would always invest at least a couple of hours in that spot on #6.

Now that spot on #6 is not exactly "buzzing" with crowds. For that experience, there is a natural amphitheatre behind the Par 5 7th green, with lots of birdies and eagle pitches and crowd roars, etc. The crowd tends to stay put, so you won't be right on top of the green if you just stop by for 45 minutes, but the viewing is still excellent.

Next, behind the 14th green has real potential. First, you'll want the pin to be in the back right of the green, right in front of you, as the wedges come in high and low. You will be standing on the side of a plenty steep hill, and if you haven't done that for two+ hours before, you'll find out it's taxing. But in 2002 you could then just turn around and see over the 4-5 deep crowd around the Par 5 15th tee box and watch the drives as well. However, they have built a new tee on #15 for this year, and it would not be the same vantage point from the new tee box if it's being used.

If the flag is on the left, there is excellent viewing from the highest (only slightly) ground on the player's front left of the Par 5 15th. The bad thing there is you are smack dab in the sun. Doesn't bother me, and I've spent plenty of time there.

If you think you find a cool spot almost anywhere at any of these tournaments, it never takes long before things filter out and folks move on and you are pertched on the ropes like a VIP. A place like the amphitheatre around # 7 would be an exception, and spots on the back nine when the leaders come through on the weekend can also be much more settled and not likely to dramatically improve.

Enjoy the viewing.

I can also give you some very current suggestions on sports bars/restaurants/etc. over in the nearby Minnetonka/Excelsior/Wayzata areas (Maynards, Lord Fletchers, or Sunsets for starters), but I can't offer much right in the Chaska/Chanhassen areas. http://www.igotrealestate.com/images/chanhassen_minnesota_map.gif

Done editing.

GL

Good stuff, Lost. Your posts are always intelligently written and I find you to be a fountain of information.

lostinamerica

Forum Member
Oct 10, 2001
Chad -

I'll be back from Belterra on Monday night (I'm spending Monday taking in the Lincoln sites in Springfield, Illinois), but I will be glad to post some good info on Tuesday on bar and restaurant ideas.

You are going Wednesday and Saturday . . . The places I noted are all perfect for Saturday action when the championship is coming into focus.

Wednesday is a different animal. I tend to hang around the practice area and wait to catch a good pairing to follow of #1 or #10 tee (and you cannot trust the "greaseboard" pairings that are made up and posted on Wednesday). It never hurts to know where Tiger is and just wait about two holes ahead and let him come to you. Good spots for pictures would likely be #3 tee, #14 or #15 green (depending on the flag location), and I like #13 tee (for a few reasons, only one of which was knowing one of the hole marshalls).

Get your souveniers at the end of the day on Wednesday; the selection is full, and no lugging around course or will call issues.

GL

Last edited:

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
More great ideas, Lost. I found out my buddy has to work until 11:00, so I plan to do my chasing and autograph seeking more aggressively early. It's probably best if I stay away from the golfers in the afternoon, as I'll be an embarrassment by that time... :00x26

I'm really strugging with the camera idea. I'd love to get some nice shots, and I bought my wife an awesome camera with a big zoom lens that would be terrific to use that day, but I'm terrified that I would leave it there in my drunken condition. Evidently, the only non-negotiable thing that day appears to be me getting drunk... :00x26

I wonder if they have any kind of lockers for rent there for the public. I doubt it, but wondering. I don't want to carry around a small chair thing and a camera bag all day, since it's looking like it'll be 90 and humid last time I checked. And my car will either be parked at a hotel or at the race track due to the shuttle situation, and I can't put them away there.

That reminds me, I gotta get the little portable chair thingy...

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
Again, thanks for all the advice. I'm taking a camera - not the wife's really nice one, but one that does a decent job. I'll try to post them at some point. Thinking now that I don't want to get too plowed tomorrow - it will be hot, and I want to get somewhere closer to work that has a lot of fun going on for tomorrow night, so I'll need to drive. Not to mention the hotel being cheaper.

So, if finishing up school shit tonight doesn't kill me (which it almost has this week), I'll have a great day tomorrow. Can't wait to plant my ass on the ground with a cold one and watch some golf on a great course!

lostinamerica

Forum Member
Oct 10, 2001
Chad -

My brother and his family lived in the Excelsior area from 1986-2002. My brother and his wife, and one of their adult daughters and her family, still live elsewhere in the Minneapolis area. They are very familiar with most of the Twin Cities area, and although they couldn't suggest much in terms of bars or restaurants in the Chaska/Chanhassen area, they had lots of favorites in the nearby Lake Minnetonka area:

Maynard's was the suggestion for a sports bar with with better food and probably as young of a crowd as any.
http://www.maynardsonline.com/exc-main.shtml

Sunsets is another restaurant and bar with appeal to the younger crowd, for lunch or dinner.
http://www.sunsetsrestaurant.com/wayzata/index.htm

Lord Fletcher's was suggested as probably being the mainstay at the marina.
http://www.lordfletchers.com/thewharf.asp

Jake O'Connor's Public House was one final suggestion.
http://www.jakeoconnors.com/

On to Restaurants:

Buca's is very good for family style Italian:
http://www.bucadibeppo.com/menu/index.aspx

318 is great for breakfast (although the menu looks fairly limited to me):
http://www.three-eighteen.com/main.htm

Our family enjoys fairly upscale dining, and Blue Point is probably their favorite seafood restaurant in the Twin Cities:
http://www.bluepointrestaurantandbar.com/

Giannis is a high end steak house and very good.
http://www.giannis-steakhouse.com/index.html

The Green Room is an upscale American-bistro and a place they still enjoy a couple times a year.
http://www.thegreenroom-waconia.com/gr_news.html

Biella's is definitely the upscale Italian suggestion.
http://www.biella-restaurant.com/

Finally, if you haven't been drinking to excess, Licks Unlimited for ice cream while strolling along Excelsior Commons, if you haven't had your fill of being on your feet.
http://twincities.citysearch.com/profile/5552285/excelsior_mn/licks_unlimited.html

I'm barely back from the Belterra golf outing (after hanging out in Springfield, Illinois until dark on Monday night), but I think I'm getting these suggestions posted in time to still be of some use.

I've also had two cousins living in the Twin Cities area at various times, and I have visited about 2-6 times every year since 1986, but I'm not familiar with any of the spots I've noted, except Lick's ice cream, which is very good.

I don't know if you are looking for anything like these suggestions after a long day on the course, but there you go.

It looks like some great weather and great Minnesota golf crowds, I hope you see some great golf.

GL

Last edited: