3-d t.v....anybody have one?...seen one of the new ones?

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
seeing more and more cable channels in "3-d"......

my only experience with 3-d was like 30+ years ago when they handed out those cheap paper and multi-colored foil glasses at 3-d horror movies....

is this worth the effort and expense?....does it really look great and enhance the viewing experience?...

the old 3-d was pretty nauseating....not something i`d pay top dollar for.....

what`s the dealie?...

might ride by best buys today while making my rounds to see if they have a demo....

Mags

Forum Member
Aug 8, 2000
seeing more and more cable channels in "3-d"......

my only experience with 3-d was like 30+ years ago when they handed out those cheap paper and multi-colored foil glasses at 3-d horror movies....

is this worth the effort and expense?....does it really look great and enhance the viewing experience?...

the old 3-d was pretty nauseating....not something i`d pay top dollar for.....

what`s the dealie?...

might ride by best buys today while making my rounds to see if they have a demo....

GW:

Been looking at them for a while. Went to Best Buy a few months ago for a demo - it was cool, a USC/Ohio State game from a few years ago (it was on Blu-Ray).

It certainly provided depth watching the game - it did seem more realistic - but it's not like the football or players felt like they were coming right at you (like some of the cheesy 3D effects of things right in front of your face).

Biggest issue - I watched for about 10 minutes.. and then I didn't feel so good - stomach queasy, etc.

Salesperson said, in his experience, 1 out of 4 people had that feeling - the other 3 were fine.

So, in testing 3D Tv's - make sure you watch in the store for more then 30 seconds or so - to make sure that you aren't bothered by the effects.

If that hadn't bothered me, I may have bought one - but it certainly wasn't a slam dunk type purchase for me. It was cool - but I'm not sure cool enough to make me buy a new TV.

marine

poker brat
Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Fort Worth, TX
They have plenty of 3d demo tv's at all the electronics stores now.

my take on it - it's still relatively new, and as such, overpriced.
there isn't enough 3-d content out there for me to justify the price point on the tv's and gear. another year.. and maybe i will.

i'm not a fan of having to wear the glasses either.
they're big, bulky, and allow too much light polution in around your periphal vision areas.

if you are the only person that watches the tv, and intend to sit in that spot the whole show, then maybe it would be worthwhile.
if you have people over, or like to just have it on in the background when yoiu do other stuff.. probably not the best choice.

Cie

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 30, 2003
New Orleans
I had similar experience to mags. I had a dizzyish feeling. I am not a videophile, so LCD and plasma work just fine in my case.

layinwood

Forum Member
Aug 29, 2001
Dallas, TX
GW, I've been looking at getting one for a while now and from I've learned we need to wait for at least the next generation of 3d tvs. The next one is, from what I hear, a big step up.

Bet on MyBookie