$300 billion and 2,600 lives for THIS

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,207265,00.html

GIs Drank Whiskey, Hit Golf Balls Before Alleged Iraqi Teen Rape-Slay, Military Hearing Told
Monday, August 07, 2006

BAGHDAD, Iraq ? U.S. soldiers accused of raping and murdering a 14-year-old Iraqi girl drank alcohol and hit golf balls before the attack, and one of them grilled chicken wings afterward, an investigator told a U.S. military hearing Monday, citing a soldier's sworn statement.

Criminal investigator Benjamin Bierce told the hearing that he interviewed one of the accused, Spc. James P. Barker, on June 30, and recorded graphic and brutal sexual details of the alleged March 12 assault.

Bierce was testifying on the second day of the hearing to determine whether five U.S. soldiers must stand trial in the rape-slaying of Abeer Qassim al-Janabi and the killing of her parents and 5-year-old sister in the town of Mahmoudiya, one of the most violent areas in Iraq.

The rape and murders are among the worst in a series of cases of alleged misconduct by American service members that have tarnished the American military. U.S. soldiers' conduct has come under the spotlight over a string of similar cases.

Barker's sworn and signed statement was submitted in evidence during the hearing. Parts were revealed during Bierce's testimony.

Barker is accused along with Sgt. Paul E. Cortez, Pfc. Jesse V. Spielman, Pfc. Bryan L. Howard of rape and murder. Another soldier, Sgt. Anthony W. Yribe, is accused of failing to report the attack but is not alleged to have been a direct participant.

Former Pfc. Steven D. Green was discharged from the Army for a "personality disorder" after the incident and was arrested in North Carolina in June on rape and murder charges. He has pleaded not guilty in federal court and is being held without bond.

At Monday's hearing, Pfc. Justin Watt, testified that Howard told him before the incident that Green, Cortez and Barker had planned to rape a girl, and Howard was to be the lookout.

"There's nothing I've read that says what to do if your buddies have raped and murdered a family," Watt said.

According to Barker's sworn statement cited by Bierce, Green not only raped the girl but also shot her and her family members after telling his comrades repeatedly that he wanted to kill some Iraqis.

Bierce testified that on the day of the attack, Barker, Cortez, Spielman and Green had been playing cards and drinking Iraqi whiskey mixed with an energy drink. Afterward, they practiced hitting golf balls, Bierce quoted Barker as saying in his statement.

Bierce said Barker's statement made it clear that Green was very persistent about killing some Iraqis and kept bringing up the idea. At some point they decided to go to the house of the girl, whom they had seen passing by their checkpoint earlier.

According to Bierce, Barker told him that when they arrived at the house, the father and the girl were outside the house. Spielman grabbed the girl while Green seized her father and took them into the house with, Bierce said, quoting Barker. Cortez and Barker also went in.

Green took the father, mother and the younger sister into the bedroom and closed the door, while the girl remained in the living room with the others.

Barker wrote that Cortez pushed the girl to the floor, lifted her dress and tore off her underwear while she struggled, Bierce said. Cortez apparently raped her or appeared to rape her, according to Barker's statement, Bierce said.

Barker then tried to rape the girl, Bierce said. Suddenly, the group heard gunshots. Green came out of the bedroom holding an AK-47 rifle and declared: '"They're all dead. I just killed them,"' Bierce said, quoting Barker's statement.

Green put the gun down, then raped the girl while Cortez held her down; Barker claims Green picked up the AK-47 and shot the girl once, paused, then shot her several more times, Bierce said.

Barker confirms he got a kerosene lamp and poured the fuel on the girl, Bierce said. The body was set on fire, but Barker does not say who did it. Barker's statement also does not say if Howard or Spielman participated in the rape.

Barker's statement says he grilled chicken wings once they got back to their checkpoint, Bierce testified. A few hours later, Barker wrote, Iraqi army soldiers came to report they had found a family murdered.

Since the case became public last month, U.S. officials have said they were concerned it could strain relations with Iraq's new government if Iraqis perceive that the soldiers receive lenient treatment.

They have offered assurances that the case will be pursued vigorously and that the soldiers will be punished if convicted.

The case has already increased demands for changes in an agreement that exempts U.S. soldiers from prosecution in Iraqi courts. And Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has demanded an independent investigation into the case.

shamrock

Forum Member
Aug 12, 2001
Boston, MA
For risk of being labeled a liberal, I'll just say this is wrong! There will probably be comments to come about beheadings, I still say this is wrong.

DIRTY Diapers

Forum Member
Jan 13, 2005
Indianapolis
It is wrong and disgusting! If true, all of them should go to jail for life. However, I wish they would report in detail about the senseless killings of all of our American soldiers, as well.

kosar

Centrist
Forum Member
Nov 27, 1999
ft myers, fl
DIRTY Diapers said:
It is wrong and disgusting! If true, all of them should go to jail for life. However, I wish they would report in detail about the senseless killings of all of our American soldiers, as well.

Are you retarded? Seriously.

shamrock

Forum Member
Aug 12, 2001
Boston, MA
with knuckleheads like these 5 wondering around Iraq, its no wonder Iraqi public opinion is changing.

bjfinste

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2001
AZ

dr. freeze

BIG12 KING
Forum Member
Aug 25, 2001
Mansion
bjfinste said:
I realize that you hate America and the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, but I'm pretty sure that those accused of crimes are assured of due process and have rights as those accused of crimes. His guilt (or lack thereof) will come out then.

lmao you leftists have destroyed the constitution with your lawyer friends and now are destroying the war effort with yellow propaganda journalism and placing us in the midst of WWIII with 2 arms tied up behind our back with this bs

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Right, somehow the media has screwed up Iraq - it has nothing to do with unbelievably poor strategy. It's also the media who rapes a child and murders her family - devastating any hope of winning hearts and minds. Never the fault according to you of any actual people planning the war or performing the war. Somehow it's the media who has run the country and marched the country into a type of conflict that is never succesful. This story is from Fox - have they become "leftist"? Is anyone not leftist according to you?

DIRTY Diapers

Forum Member
Jan 13, 2005
Indianapolis
kosar said:
Are you retarded? Seriously.

Are you retarded ass clown? What doesn't make sense with what I said. I'm tired of you and the name calling. All you are is a communist, liberal, f u c k stick. If you have a problem with what i say then ignore.

kosar

Centrist
Forum Member
Nov 27, 1999
ft myers, fl
DIRTY Diapers said:
Are you retarded ass clown? What doesn't make sense with what I said. I'm tired of you and the name calling. All you are is a communist, liberal, f u c k stick. If you have a problem with what i say then ignore.

dipshit said:
However, I wish they would report in detail about the senseless killings of all of our American soldiers, as well.

Ummm, yeah. All we hear is how the media only focuses on our soldiers deaths and how that is costing us the war and now you pipe up that we need to 'report in detail' about the same. That's what makes no sense.

Also, while you using the word 'senseless' is altogether correct, it's not in the way that you intend. The deaths are 'senseless' because we should not be there in the first place.

Aside from that, we are supposedly in some sort of war over there and people will get killed. Any death in a war is 'senseless', I guess, but that's kind of a strange way to put it.

BTW- i'm far from a commie or even a liberal. I just know a f*cked up idea when I see one and that describes Iraq perfectly.

Get back to me after the Iraqi government tells us to leave and Iran is pulling the strings from Iran all the way through Iraq, Syria and Lebanon to the sea. Hey wait, they already are!

Bet on MyBookie