A couple of Mountain West dogs

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Mickey's Picks

Forum Member
Oct 4, 1999
Chicago, IL
Like these two live dogs tomorrow against a couple of down on their luck favorites:

San Diego State (+1.5) ov. BYU

The Aztecs have excelled to date in the MWC where they are undefeated in three contests and currently in second place behind Colorado State. They are led by QB Adam Hall who has been putting up good numbers during their current three game win streak. They also have an opportunistic defense which has had two interceptions returned for touchdowns and a blocked punt recovered for a touchdown in the last three games along with an 87 yard kick return for a TD. BYU appears to be on a downhill roll and I think falling behind 34-0 to Utah State, despite the dramatic comeback win was a ringing bell that something was seriously wrong with this team as they have been manhandled in three straight games since then putting up 9, 3 and 10 points in those conference contests. If you want to take a look at similar opponents, two weeks back UNLV beat the Cougars 24-3 and last week San Diego State polished off UNLV 31-21. BYU is 2-6 ATS this year. I see two teams heading in opposite directions here with the wrong team favored.

Wyoming (+8.5) ov. UNLV

This is a game where you have a team that has been constantly improving but still not getting much respect pitted against an overrated, mercurial team with an over hyped QB. Wyoming's passing attack led by Casey Bramlet is the real deal as the top three conference teams, Colorado State, San Diego State and Air Force can all attest. Although I foolishly overlooked this last week all the clues were there from the Colorado State and San Diego State games. If you spend a little time looking you'll see that last weeks win against the Falcons should not have been all that shocking as this team has been slowly building momentum and confidence against the best teams in the conference. If not for their abysmal kicking game they would have knocked off San Diego State and prior to that gave Colorado State all that they could handle in a 44-36 loss. UNLV hasn't really shown me anything all year and they continue to be an underacheiving bunch, (based on their bowl appearance last year), and are led by the now it appears overrated Jason Thomas. This team lost to San Diego State by 10 points last week and the Cowboys lost to the same team the week before by 4 points, losing on an interception returned for a touchdown. Although they both are 1-2 in conferecene play the Cowboys have faced the three best teams in the conference. The rebels are 2-6 ATS and have no business in my mind giving over 8 points to an improving team off a big confidence building win that can put points on the board and have not been beaten by that margin against the best in the conference. Would not be surprised to see a straight up win as I think the Cowboys are the better team.

Last edited:

Mickey's Picks

Forum Member
Oct 4, 1999
Chicago, IL
A couple of additions:

San Diego State/BYU Under 56'

As noted in my comments on the game, BYU hasn't exactly been a scoring machine in their last three games (22 points total) so I see this game falling under the total.

Georgia -1 ov. Florida

Having grown up in the State of Florida, 30 minutes from Gainseville, I've always been a big fan of SEC football and have always considered it the toughest overall conference. Which explains why few SEC teams have won national championships. They are always knocking each other off so it's very tough to run through a whole season unscathed. That's why it is so commendable to see Georgia sitting here at 8-0. Florida has had a typical SEC season......win some big games and then lose some. Look good against one team, look like crap against another. Georgia meanwhile has won the tough hard fought battles and kicked the beejeezus out of the teams that they should have while also surprising many, particularly on this board, but not having the typical let down weeks and not playing well/covering the number. Much like Notre Dame this team just hasn't gotten the respect it deserves but it just keeps on winning. I expect to see a continuation of that today and an end to the Florida win string in the series. Florida and Grossman are not the same without Super Steve and having Zook at the reins for these marquee matchups is a drastic drop in coaching talent and more importantly experience.