A live dog?

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
I never understood "greatness" and " #1 PFP" being bestowed on a guy who only has a handful of professional fights.

Against some decent-but-avg (by historical standards) competition.

And 396 wins/1 loss & gold medals aside, pro ranks are a lot different than amateurs.

He reminds me of another fighter whose rep had most opponents beat, mentally, before they even stepped into the ring. But THAT guy had talent. And raw power.

Does this guy?

And even with his talent and power, when THAT guy got in the ring with someone who had equal talent, but, mainly was not afraid of him, he lost his composure and ended up disqualified for cannibalism.
Lopez ain't afraid. He's hungry (the good kind of hungry, not the cannibalism kind.)
And I like hungry in a fighter.

It's sports betting, so anything can happen.
And it's boxing, which means ANYTHING can happen - the only sport where you can make a bet, watch your bet win, and still be left holding a losing ticket (and vice-versa, I've had tickets when my guy got beat, but I cashed on him anyway because of the scorecards.)

I've never bet a fight with this guy in it, despite the hype on the promos throughout the years.
I waited for a live dog, the right time, the right situation, and a little bit of old age to creep in.
Lopez has the age advantage.
He has the natural weight advantage.
He has the activity advantage - four fights LY (his last one was 10 months ago) to two for his opponent (a guy who hasn't fought in 14 months now.)
And a three-inch reach advantage.
Yes, he's over-matched in a couple areas, specifically experience.
But he's fearless.
And he has the edge in the hunger factor, which is the component that gives me my lean on this one.

Don't let me oversell you on the kid though.
It's still a massive undertaking against a guy who may be great.
May be.
He's benefited from years of hyped-up promo from embarrassingly fawning, espn fanboyz who idolize him.
I'm not sold, and won't be even if he wins this weekend as expected (as a better than 4-1 Fav he's supposed to win easily, isn't he?).
I'm just saying that for a rooting interest and yell-at-my-TV fun this weekend, I'm grabbing the attractive odds on a live dog. And hoping that youth and hunger win out over experience.
Lopez +350.

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Rander & EZ,

You're welcome,
and thanks for letting me know that taking time to write this opinion wasn't in vain, somebody read it,
hope you made a little cash on it.

Yes, Lederman's score card was way off; we all know going in - it's boxing, if it goes to the judges scorecards anything can happen.

I used to fly to Vegas to see the big fights, decided one year to stay there for 6 months, ended up staying for 15 years. Lucked into a gig writing for a boxing mag and didn't have to pay for seats anymore, I got comped, ringside.

Wrote a couple articles about this young kid I saw that had amazing skills, said he'd be a champ someday.
I was amazed at how he used a left hook to the body that brought his opponent's head down, followed by a left uppercut with speed and accuracy to send his opponents head flying back upward.
I saw him lead with that uppercut, like fighters use the jab.
When he got his title shot I got a call from Arum's office - they'd seen my articles and wanted to thank me so they invited me to a luncheon to meet the kid and interview him - Juan Manuel Marquez.

And when everyone said I was nuts after I wrote that 7-1 underdog Vernon Forrest would beat the latest "greatest," 38-0 Shane Mosley, and he did, I earned a bit of a rep and got more writing gigs and got to do interviews on ESPN & FOX sports radio.
But boxing broke my heart too many times - too many mismatches, too many crooked fights, too little respect for the fans - so I don't follow as closely as I used to.

Saturday, my first inkling that we had a good chance was at the end of round four, not because Lopez had won the early rounds (Lomo is a slow starter) but because when the bell rang Lomo reached out to tap gloves with Lopez - a sign that he was respectful of what the kid was doing, some might say a sign of weakness. I caught it, and smiled, I now knew for sure we had a gamer in the kid.

When Lomo did pick up the pace later, as expected, it was time to see if my other hope would come into play - time/age would become a factor, and Lomo wouldn't be able to close the show as he has done in the past.

It's funny, in boxing, sometimes you can see a man grow old in the ring, right before your eyes.
He knows what to do, but the body can longer deliver.
The hand speed and foot movement that had always served him well seem to abandon him.

I'm not saying that's what happened to Lomo Saturday night, but he slowed/aged just enough for a tough opponent to take his belts.
And for us to cash in on a live dog with a nice price . . .

Last edited:

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Yup. And that was part of the equation for deciding whether to bet this one.

One thing I didn't mention - it was weird without fans.
All sports are, a little, but it seemed, to me, more . . . I'm searching for the right word - pronounced?
I don't know. Baskets and football I hardly notice, but in boxing it was weird.
Maybe it was the ring walk that made it seem so strange.
It was kind of off-putting to watch, no entourage, no fans cheering as they entered.

Anyway, let's hope there aren't too many more with empty stands.
And let's hope they put on more good matches, on free TV, to help build back their fan base, instead of overpriced cards with mostly mismatches on them.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Something interests me tonight on Showtime, right before the main event. When a guy hasn't fought in two years, and comes in over the contracted weight, it's usually a sign that he's not serious about continuing a career as a fighter. The ring is no place to not be serious.

These spots are usually worth a look at the Under.
The choices in Yigit vs Romero are Un 6' +146 or Un 8' -110.
I'll take the extra two rounds.
Buy:
Un 8' -110

kickserv

Wrong Forum Mod
Forum Member
May 26, 2002
Canada
We have a "live dog" thread........awesome:0065

Thong and BOXLOCKS are not going to like this thread:lol:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

BOXLOCKS

Surveyor
Forum Member
Sep 14, 2002
Hell
discord.com
Something interests me tonight on Showtime, right before the main event. When a guy hasn't fought in two years, and comes in over the contracted weight, it's usually a sign that he's not serious about continuing a career as a fighter. The ring is no place to not be serious.

These spots are usually worth a look at the Under.
The choices in Yigit vs Romero are Un 6' +146 or Un 8' -110.
I'll take the extra two rounds.
Buy:
Un 8' -110

Almost commented on Yigit missing weight yesterday, but I didn't want to dissuade anyone from following a proven winner. For full disclosure tho....

Yigit is a career 140 lb'er. He had no intention, or ability, to make 135 lbs for this fight (despite his claims that he could and would when Romero called). The 140.25 was actually Yigit's lowest weight in his last 4 fights by 2 lbs. So it's not like he was laying on the couch eating Cheetos when the phone rang

However....Yigit taking the fight on short notice, after a 2 year layoff, with talks of pursuing an acting career when he retires....were all huge red flags

Good call....congrats

Bet on MyBookie