MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

ticali24

Forum Member
Apr 29, 2004
California
A position-by-position look at the NBA Finals

By CHRIS SHERIDAN, AP Basketball Writer
June 2, 2004

A position-by-position look at the matchups in the NBA Finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and Detroit Pistons:

COACH:

Phil Jackson vs. Larry Brown. One has nine NBA championships, the other has none. One is a great teacher who implores his teams to ``play the right way,'' the other is more like a principal who tries to keep his pupils from sniping at each other. One tries to get his team to stick to the principles of the triangle offense, the other eschews zone defenses and Hack-a-Shaq strategies -- even if they'd give his team a better chance at a victory.
Edge: Lakers.

CENTER:

Shaquille O'Neal vs. Ben Wallace. The Lakers' center is one of the few people walking the earth who can make Wallace seem puny by comparison. Known as ``Diesel,'' O'Neal can be expected to power his way to the basket and rattle the rim with his dunks. Wallace, nicknamed ``Big Ben,'' is a tenacious defender and rebounder with few offensive skills. Both are horrible free throw shooters, O'Neal making only 41 percent of his attempts this postseason, Wallace making48 percent.

POWER FORWARD:

Karl Malone vs. Rasheed Wallace. Malone gets the edge in charisma, charm and cunning, while Wallace has the better shooting range and more volatile disposition. Malone has proven himself to be a key component to the Lakers' success throughout the season, while the addition of Wallace in a trade deadline deal gave Detroit the extra piece it needed to rise above the mediocrelevel of competition in the East.

SMALL FORWARD:

Devean George vs. Tayshaun Prince. George is the only non-superstar in the Lakers' starting lineup, a solid player both inside and outside who can hurt an opponent if he's ignored. Prince is longer and quicker, though he has struggledto be a consistent producer on offense during the postseason.
Edge: Even.

SHOOTING GUARD:

Kobe Bryant vs. Richard Hamilton. Nobody in the league has as much natural talent as Bryant, whose combination of explosiveness and shooting range make him one of the NBA's wonders to watch. Nobody in the league can run quite like Hamilton, who relies on coming off a labyrinth of screens to free himself forthe midrange jump shots he hits better than anyone. Edge: Lakers.

POINT GUARD:

Gary Payton vs. Chauncey Billups. A playmaker on the decline vs. an underrated leader who has changed from a shoot-first scorer to more of a traditional floor general. Payton has made drastic changes to his game since joining the Lakers and becoming the fourth, rather than first, offensive option. Billups has evolved under Brown's coaching into one of the league'ssteadiest point guards.
Edge: Pistons.

RESERVES:

Derek Fisher, Slava Medvedenko, Kareem Rush and Rick Fox vs. Corliss Williamson, Lindsey Hunter, Mike James, Elden Campbell and Darvin Ham. Fisher and Rush are the only players in the series capable of providing instant offense off the bench, while Williamson, Ham and Campbell provide 18 fouls to use against O'Neal.

ticali24

Forum Member
Apr 29, 2004
California
I'd give Detroit an edge at PF because of Wallace's scoring ability and at SF because of Prince's defense, shot-blocking ability. Both are spotty scorers. I'll bet anything that Prince outscores George. I also think Prince will have more blocked shots. Otherwise this seems pretty accurate to me.

I predict Lakers in 5!!!!!

Got5onIt

MeanGreen
Forum Member
Oct 20, 2002
MeanGreen Nation
Looking at your location, I can't help but think your analysis is a bit biased.:D

I give Detroit a huge edge at PF and a slight edge at SF.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

maverick2112

Forum Member
Jan 16, 2001
Wyoming

I thought the same thing reading the first post........You think a 20 yr vet Karl Malone has the edge on Rasheed Wallace in his prime:confused:

Devean George rates even against Tayshaun Price......lets see Prince was a 1st round draft choice,all-american at Kentucky .........and George wouldnt be able to get even half of the open looks he gets because of Shaq and Kobe:confused:

To me the matchups look more like this

Coach: Even, maybe slight edge to Lakers
Center: Lakers Edge
PF: Pistons edge
SF: Pistons edge
SG: Lakers edge
PG: Pistons edge
Bench: Slight edge to Lakers:)

ezpickin

Forum Member
Nov 24, 2003
After watching Phil Jackson leave Shaq on the floor in the first half of game 6 with 3 fouls, I wouldn't give him the edge over Johnny Davis! :) And Malone with the edge over Wallace??? Only if the category is Flops and Cheap Shots!

ezpickin

Forum Member
Nov 24, 2003
Got5onIt said:
Looking at your location, I can't help but think your analysis is a bit biased.:D

Looks to me like this wasn't his analysis....simply a reprint of an article...

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

spits

Forum Member
Nov 30, 2000
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
How can people give the Lakers bench the edge? Other than Fisher, who else do they have? I know Rush hit 6 of 7 triples in Game 6 vs. Minny but he hasn't done much else.

The Pistons have a good low-post scorer off the bench in Corliss Williamson. The AP writer doesn't even mention Mehmet Okur, who Phoenix, Utah and other teams are going to overpay in the summer to a big free-agent contract.

Okur didn't play as much vs. Indiana, but the Lakers will see alot of him. Other than Jermaine O'Neal, the rest of the Pacers were perimeter or wing players, so the need for Okur wasn't there.

Versus the Lakers, he will be in there to bang with Shaq, along with the Wallaces and Elden Campbell.

Lindsay Hunter and Mike James can contriubte, but Chauncey and Rip are guaranteed to play close to 40 minutes each anyhow.

People are not giving this Pistons team enough respect. If the Lakers follow suit, there could be an upset in the making.

SPITS

gjn23

Forum Member
Mar 20, 2002
So. Cal
Which game of the five these two play will the pistons upset the lakers?????

These guys are overmatched just like every team in the east has been the last 5 years.

And I hate the lakers and this could be the most overrated laker team of all time....BUT they wont lose to Det.