Tampa Bay Florida
I honestly and truly feel that
the reason to go with a certain team
because of the "revenge" factor is
pure hogwash.
I hear that term used from time t time and
you and I both know that both teams want
to win the game.
If a team loses to a team and they play again, sure...they want to even the score.
But the team that won before wants to
kick thei ass again. So......
that's just my opinion...
what's your's???
I don't see anything in the handicapping
encyclopedia that quotes revenge stats!!
I think it's an intagible that don't mean
a hellava lot...if anything.

Guys????

maggio

Sportsaholic

Jack's Mentor
Forum Member
Jan 18, 2000
Crustacean Nation
Originally posted by maggio:
I honestly and truly feel that
the reason to go with a certain team
because of the "revenge" factor is
pure hogwash.
I hear that term used from time t time and
you and I both know that both teams want
to win the game.
If a team loses to a team and they play again, sure...they want to even the score.
But the team that won before wants to
kick thei ass again. So......
that's just my opinion...
what's your's???
I don't see anything in the handicapping
encyclopedia that quotes revenge stats!!
I think it's an intagible that don't mean
a hellava lot...if anything.

Guys????

maggio

Guess it boils down to if you were embarrased, or if you were really beaten by the better team.

Sportsaholic

Jack's Mentor
Forum Member
Jan 18, 2000
Crustacean Nation
Example: Ky gets beat by Miss. St., beat by a better team???? I dont think so. Ky will roll Miss. St @ home by 30+. Now that will be REVENGE!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Sportsaholic

Jack's Mentor
Forum Member
Jan 18, 2000
Crustacean Nation
Originally posted by dr. freeze:
revenge can play a factor in motivation....can be overused though you are right...
Tiss true Dr., watched alot of people ride Ariz.& Dart. and got it stuffed, Like anything, a time and a place!

buddy

Forum Member
Nov 21, 2000
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Maggio,

I've heard the following:

"This team is playing with revenge."
"This team is playing with double revenge."
"This team is playing with triple revenge."

????????????

I put the "revenge" thing in the same file as a "must" win.

If a team was good enough, they'd never find themself in a "must" situation.

I agree with you. I think revenge is hogwash.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Ike Bomb

Forum Member
Jan 3, 2002
While I don't believe in the revenge angle either, I do think you can often find value playing "immediate revenge" games. Basketball home-and-homes and baseball double headers fall in this category.

crib_19

Forum Member
Jan 16, 2001
Lima, Ohio, USA
IMO...about revenge...basketball is a game
of "match-ups"...there are certain teams on everyone's schedule that reguardless of records..the team just doesn't match-up very well...as a coach, if I take my team on the road and beat you...it's probably because you didn't match-up very well..and therefore didn't stop our strengths..now, in three weeks you come back to my place w/ "revenge" on your mind...but it really doesn't make any difference...you still don't match-up well, (you may play harder) but now you're on the road..and your not going to get any calls...and you still don't win....its hard to write up what i'm trying to say...but my current analogy this year would be OREGON/ARIZONA...Arizona gets rocked @ Oregon...and I think Lute Olsen is one of the premier coaches in America...and I guarantee that he brought up the fact to his team that they got "rocked" at Oregon...did it make a difference..NO..they still lost by 10 at home (yes Wildcat fans..I knew Walton was not 100%)...OREGON must be a bad match for Arizona because Arizona has gone on the road and played extremely well this year...
In closing, in the betting world, one needs to have "selective" thoughts on the proper "revenge" situation...its not an automatic.. ..just my thoughts on this interesting topic..good luck to you..crib

nighthorse

Forum Member
Nov 26, 2001
wichita, ks 67209
Some very good points here. One of the old axioms of capping is the immediate revenge angle. Although it really may have nothing to do with revenge. If there's a home and home within a week, and the home team wins game one, the home team in game two covers 60%+. This can also be the result of game plan adjustments. It's a lot like capping the second half of a game to be the opposite of the first half. You're betting that outcomes will trend back toward the expected result before the game(s) began.

This can also be helpful with the O/U. The losing team tends to attempt changing the pace or style of the game in hopes of a different result. (These attempts will also be more successful if it's the home team trying to change the pace in game 2).

As you can see today, it doesn't always hold. However, I think it can be a valuable tool.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg