Acc 2003

Rosey

Forum Member
Jul 1, 2001
Chicago
ACC 2003

FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES 0:4 D:10 (9-5)

The Noles of 2002 really disappointed me as I felt they had the squad to get back into the National Championship. Injuries and turmoil were last year?s downfall, but 2003 looks to be a lot brighter. The offense will be led once again by the erratic QB known as Chris Rix. He?s had a very strange career so far at FSU, but he has the talent to dominate this year. QB Fabian Walker also returns to back him up. This is a talented duo, and I believe Rix will have himself a fantastic junior campaign. The RB trio is loaded with talent. Greg Jones returns for his junior season, and looks to rebound after a season ending injury from a year ago. He was a man-child out there last season leading the country in rushing before he went down. FSU also plans to unleash their pride and joy Lorenzo Booker this year. He was rated the #1 RB out of high school a few year?s back. The WR core takes a hit, but has loads of talent. The O-line returns 5 players that logged starts last season, and had HC Bowden very happy with how quickly they gelled in the spring. The defense returns 10 starters from a year ago, and I expect major improvements over last season?s numbers. The front 7 will terrorize opposing QB?s, and limit rushing attacks. The D-line loses 1 starter from a year ago, but also gets a projected starter back from last year. The LB core is downright scary led by Boulware, Pope, and Augustin. They might just be the best trio in the country. Opposing offenses will be very hard pressed to throw down the field against the Noles top-notch secondary. The top 4 starters from a year ago all return, and there are plenty of highly touted athletes waiting for their shot to step in and make a difference. This is a top 5 unit!!! FSU gets all the conference big dogs at home, but road trips to Virginia and Clemson will be a test. The Noles have lost way too much the last few seasons, and I expect them to have a breakout season in ?03.

-- FSU is 7-3 ATS the L/7 yrs after a SU loss.

NCST WOLFPACK O:7 D:5 (11-3)

HC Amato?s departure from Tallahassee has brought nothing but success to the Wolfpack program. He?s 26-12 SU as their head coach, and he?s got Raleigh going nuts for this season. I believe he?s got his hands full with this team in ?03. Gone are a bunch of key cogs from last season, and they had to replace the OC for the 3rd time in the L/3 years. The offense will be potent once again with unorthodox QB Phillip Rivers returning for his senior season. I expect him to make a solid push for the Heisman. Freshman sensation RB T.A. McClendon looks to comeback healthy and have a solid sophomore effort. There?s also a bunch of solid athletes backing him up as well. The WR core loses a few players from last season, but Hicks & Cotchery both return. Highly touted WR Richard Washington has also finally been cleared to play so keep your eyes and ears open for this guy. The O-line is the major reason why this offense will be super this season. They have loads of talent with even more experience, and they?re coming off their best YPC avg. in 4 years. They also gave up a total of 11 QB sacks, which set a Wolfpack team record. This is a very nasty unit my friends, and it has all the intangibles necessary to beat up on anyone?s defense. The only thing bothering me is their new OC. I don?t know what a new system will do the offenses rhythm, but I have to imagine it?ll take some time to grasp the new terminology. The defense is definitely weaker this season, and it might prevent them from eclipsing last seasons win total. They lose 2 major players from last year?s stop unit, and it?ll be hard to replace their leadership. The Pack has the talent to step right in and make a difference, but it should take a few games for everyone to start vibing. The special teams will be very solid as well with pretty much everyone returning. A trip to the Horseshoe in September will really put them on the map if they pull off the upset, but I foresee that as being highly unlikely?.should be high scoring though. Their only tough roady is at Tallahassee in November, and HC Amato now stands at 2-0 SU vs. the Noles. This team should stroll into the 2003 season with loads of confidence after rolling up the Irish in the Gator Bowl. Remember, the Wolfpack were 9-0 at one point last season 7 started flapping their gums about the National Championship. They then went on to lose 3 straight, and missed the BCS bonanza. I expect them to use that as a learning experience, and be ready this season if they find themselves in the same position. I believe this team will only get better as the season progresses, and they?re clearly a major player in the ACC.

-- NCST is 6-2 ATS after a bye since 1997 (@FSU 11/15)

VIRGINIA CAVALIERS O:9 D:7 (9-5)

What a sensational job HC Groh has done since leaving the NFL for Charlottesville. He?s had to work with a very young and inexperienced group to date, but has milked 14 wins out of them the L/2 seasons. Last seasons squad was very young, but got boatloads of experience & will be ready for 2003. ACC player of the year QB Matt Schaub returns for his senior season, and he?s got the best TE duo in the ACC to throw to. The WR core loses its stud from last season, but has plenty of talent to get the job done. The O-line returns 4 of 5 starters from a year ago, and should improve on their numbers from a year ago. I think everyone remembers who Wali Lundy is. In case you?re drawing a blank, he had 4 TD?s against WV in the Tire Bowl last season. He returns for his sophomore season, and his solid backups only add more depth to the position. The defense got knocked around a bunch last year, but that will only make that young group even tougher this time around. The front 7 looks to be much more formidable, and its anchored by one of the best LB cores in the conference. They will put much more pressure on opposing QB?s this season which will allow their secondary to get more done. The DB?s got lit up last season b/c of a poor pass rush. They allowed plenty of completions but they had a respectable 14-15 TD/INT ratio. They lose both safeties from a year ago, but they have plenty of solid guys looking to step in. The special teams will only get better with the return of every single key player. Some say that UVA overachieved last season. That might be the case, but I believe the success they had last season will only help their confidence coming into ?03. Wins over NCST and Maryland last season were huge, but getting it again this season will be tough in both of their stadiums. HC Groh really has his kids believing, and I think these guys are big-time players in the ACC.

-- The Cavs are 7-1 ATS as a home pup under HC Al Groh.

MARYLAND TERPS O:6 D:9 (11-3)

Fear the turtle!!!! HC Ralph Friedgen has done the unthinkable since bolting from GTECH to take over the Maryland program. He?s led them to 2 straight double digit winning seasons, and looks to have his best team since his arrival. The first month of last season was tough, but they simply destroyed their competition the rest of the way. They return 15 starters from LY?s 11-3 squad, and their defense looks to be tough as nails once again. The LB core loses its stud from the last few seasons, but has plenty of talent to step right in to fill the void. They also have one of the best secondaries in the country anchored by CB Foxworth & FS Williams. This is a fundamentally sound unit that will give opposing offenses headaches even with the loss of EJ Henderson. QB Scott McBrien has had a seasons worth of experience under The Fridge?s offensive format, and another off-season to iron out the wrinkles. This kid was just fantastic the last half of 2002, and I expect him to have a fantastic 2003. He really started to thrive once the offensive playbook was shortened up, and having a healthy Bruce Perry in the backfield will only make his job easier. The backfield is loaded with talent, and will definitely be utilized as a key component in their offense. The WR core has a little more experience coming into this year, but someone has to step up and replace the absence of their best WR. The O-line returns 8 of 10 from last season, but they lose the services of all ACC center Todd Wike. They did a phenomenal job opening holes & protecting their QB last year, and I expect the same protection to occur in 2003. The Terps special teams have played a major role in their success the last few seasons, and I expect more of the same in ?03. Back is K Nick Novak who hit a stellar 24 of 28 FG?s last season, and speedy WR Steve Suter will be the man once again. This team looks primed and ready to go for their 2nd ACC Championship in the L/3 years, but their road schedule isn?t going to allow it. They have to go to FSU & NCST?s backyards, and I don?t foresee them winning either of those games. They?ve beaten the Wolfpack 3 years in a row now, but FSU is yet to lose to the turtles since joining the ACC. A split is possible, and it wouldn?t shock me if they pulled off the unthinkable. This is a very good team, and ?The Fridge? has shown how good of a coach he is the last two season?s. The Terps will go bowling once again, and it could quite possible be of the BCS variety provided they take care of business on the road.

-- The Terps are 6-1 ATS vs. non-conference opponents under ?The Fridge?, and 6-2 ATS vs. the ACC at home.

Rosey

Forum Member
Jul 1, 2001
Chicago
NORTH CAROLINA O:8 D:8 (3-9)

You name it & it went wrong for the heels in 2002. Their defense was atrocious, and their offense lacked any sort of punch especially with QB Durant sidelined for a few games. I don?t know what HC Bunting is thinking, but the Heels have one of the toughest schedules in the nation once again. He does get 8 starters back on both sides of the ball, but they?ll have to grow up quickly if they expect to get much done this season. The offense looks to be in good shape with the return of ?The Gunslinger?. QB Darian Durant seems to have his head on straight coming into ?03, and hopefully he can avoid the injury bug. He?s the all time leader in completion percentage at UNC, and always seems to make wise decisions on the field. He?s the spark plug that makes the Heels offensive engine fire, and the O-line has to do a better job protecting him this season. Every single hog returns for this season, and I expect them to dramatically improve on their numbers from a year ago. The running game will also benefit from the stout front, and QB Durant should find himself more able to move the ball downfield. UNC?s front 7 could be the most improved in the country. They return 12 players overall who have starting experience, and they bring in a highly touted freshman crop loaded with athletes. I expect the youngsters to make a difference right away. The secondary looks to be in fine shape. CB Michael Waddell is a proven shut down corner, and was voted to the 2nd Team ACC last season. The second leading tackler in the nation FS Dexter Reid also returns, and they get some JUCO talent in Lionel Green who?s expected to make an impact. Special teams will only get better with the return of everyone from last season, especially K Dan Orner. The boy can kick!!!! I really like this year?s Tarheel squad, and I believe they?ll easily eclipse last season?s win total. Injuries and Turnover?s really killed this team a year ago, and their inexperience didn?t help matters either. This year?s squad reminds me of Wake Forest from last season. Don?t be surprised to see the powder blue shock one of the big boys this season.

-- The Heel?s are 7-4 ATS as a road pup under Bunting, but 1-5 as a dawg at home.

CLEMSON TIGERS O:8 D:4 (7-6)

Tick tock. Tick tock. Time is running out for Tommy in Death Valley!!!!! Last year?s loss in the Tangerine Bowl has him on a very short leash, and he has to show progress early on to maintain his position in my eyes. He does get 8 starters back on offense, and he plans to implement more of a traditional type of offense this season. QB Charlie Whitehurst returns for his sophomore season, and he showed promise at the end of last year. He?ll only get better with more experience, and he?s got an experienced O-line protecting him. It returns 4 of 5 starter?s from a year ago which only helps the team since HC Bowden plans on playing some smash mouth football out of the I-formation this season. A healthy Yusef Kelly should improve on the Tiger?s rushing woes from a year ago. Whitehurst also gets 2 solid WR?s to throw to in Youngblood & Hamilton. The defense only returns 4 starters from last season?s squad, and is a major cause of concern coming into this season. The D-line allowed its worst YPC rushing in over a decade last season, but has bulked up and returns 6 of its top 8 linemen. The LB core is lead by SR John Leake, but lacks experience. The secondary is also very green especially at the safety position. The special teams returns pretty much intact. K Aaron Hunt returns after being a Lou Groza award finalist from last year, and they?ve brought in a solid prospect to take care of the punting duties. Bowden has the talent to make it to another bowl game, but a .500 record just won?t cut it this time around.

-- Clemson is 7-15-2 ATS the L/3 years in the ACC, & 1-5-1 in 2002.

DUKE BLUE DEVILS O:11 D:9 (2-10)

Even though the Dukies went 2-10 overall last season they had a great year. They snapped their 23-game losing streak against East Carolina in their home opener, and then went a solid 8-4 ATS the rest of the way. This year?s team has loads of experience, and returns a whopping 51 lettermen with only 5 lost. Their offense is lead by junior QB Adam Smith who threw for 2,031 yards and had a TD/INT ratio of 12/9. He?ll only be better this season with another year of the offense under his belt. The Blue Devils rushing attack is potent regardless of whose carrying the ball. RB Douglas & FB Wade combined for over 1500 yards last season, and will be even better with a very experienced o-line paving their way. Dukes offensive front is highly regarded throughout the conference, and it will be a major attribute to this season?s success. The WR core also returns everyone. Duke?s offense will definitely put more points on the board this season with everyone returning. The defense made strides last season, and I expect them to take it a step further in ?03. They really stepped it up against the run last season knocking off over 120 yards per game from the previous season. The secondary looks to be in great shape as 7 of 8 return from a year ago, and their experience from a year ago will only help them now. Duke really improved last season as a team. They were only outgained in the ACC by 18 YPG, and out-first downed most of their opponents. They had 4 conference losses by 5 points or less last year, and I expect them to do even better in 2003. They will win their first ACC game in 7 year?s, and escape the basement?.BET ON IT!!!!

-- DUKE is 9-3 ATS their l/12 road openers.

GEORGIA TECH O:7 D:7 (7-6)

I can hear the rumblings coming out of Atlanta as I type. HC Chan Gailey lead his team to their 6th consecutive bowl game, but the season ended on a sour note. The Yellow Jackets looked terrible on offense last season, and it doesn?t look like it?ll be much better this time around. The QB is yet to be determined, and the loss of RB Hollings is huge. They do have an experienced O-line paving the way, but their specialty players remain a gigantic question mark. The defensive front 7 is very solid. The D-line also welcomes back Greg Gathers who missed last season due to kidney disease. The LB core loses a solid player from a year ago, but is left in the capable hands of Daryl Smith & Keyaron Fox. Pressuring the QB is a must considering the secondary is very inexperienced. The Special teams also take a major hit with the loss of K Luke Manget. This will be a very tough season for GT in the vastly improved ACC. I don?t foresee them bowling for the 7th consecutive time.

-- GTECH is 7-0 SU & 5-1 ATS their L/7 homecoming games.

WAKE FOREST DEMON DEACONS O:3 D:7 (7-6)

What a season for the Deacons in 2002!!! It?s a shame they won?t come near last season?s numbers this time around. HC Jim Grobe has done a fine job since arriving, and he was rewarded with a gigantic contract extension. This squad has a different taste to it though. This will be the first time he has to coach an inexperienced unit, and it looks as if 2003 will be a rebuilding year for the Deacons. They lose their very productive QB from a year ago, leading rusher, and 3 of their top 4 WR?s. Their O-line returns some starters, but it?ll take some time for the new talent to get used to the offense. The defense returns 7 from a year ago, but lose their entire D-line. The LB?s and secondary look to be in good shape, but we?ll see what kind of pass rush the young line can get going. They do get 7 home games this season, but I don?t believe they have the manpower to win 6 games like they did the L/2 years. This is clearly a rebuilding season for the Deac?s.

-- WF is 6-2-1 ATS as an away dog under HC Grobe.

Bet on MyBookie