Ainge?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Beebs

Forum Member
Jan 4, 2005
does anyone know if Ainge is gonna play against LSU today?

Beebs

Forum Member
Jan 4, 2005
anyone have an update on this?

anyone have an update on this?

Erik Ainge said a bad ankle won't keep him out of Tennessee's matchup with LSU on Saturday. The eighth-ranked Vols also hope their quarterback won't be limited by the injury as they try to keep pace in the SEC title picture.

Ainge and the Vols (7-1, 3-1) look to continue their pursuit of Florida in the East Division when they face the No. 13 Tigers (6-2, 2-2), who boast one of the nation's toughest defenses.

Ainge hurt his right ankle during Tennessee's 31-24 win over South Carolina last week when he was tackled following a run. He finished the fourth-quarter drive while limping, but did not return.

X-rays and an MRI were negative, but Ainge said the ankle was sore and he was uncertain about the amount of practice time he was going to see this week.

Ainge, though, said he had "no doubt" he'd be ready for Saturday and believed the lack of preparation won't be a cause for concern.

"It's a day-to-day type thing. I'm feeling good. I'm not worried about if I miss a day of practice or two days of practice that I wouldn't be physically on my game," Ainge said. "Most of my preparation game week is always mental, so if anything, I could do more of that which could end up helping me out."

A healthy Ainge is crucial to Tennessee's offense. The Vols average 174 more passing yards than rushing, ranking 11th in the country with 288.1 passing yards per game.

Ainge ranks 11th in the nation with a 67.9 completion percentage, and coach Phillip Fulmer is less at ease about his quarterback not getting enough practice than Ainge is.

"A receiver going in and running a couple of crossing routes is whole lot different than a quarterback having to see all the fronts and coverages," Fulmer said. "He needs to practice. Hopefully he'll be able to."