Al Franken Wins!

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
.Al Franken Wins!
:(

this is the equivalent of watching a 3 year old play with a nail gun......
gaga.gif

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
I think this is far from over, from what I'm hearing. Although I didn't vote for Franken, I am quite happy to think of Coleman getting the boot. He is nothing more than a blowhard career-hopeful politician that will say anything and do anything to keep his position. If there wasn't already a "Slick Willie," he would be the definition. I definitely didn't vote for, nor want, Coleman around. He realized early on he didn't have enough support as a liberal democrat, so he switched parties to become a conservative republican. Quite the switch of values, but whatever pays the bills, I guess.

We'll see how this plays out.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
i doubt it matters,but i`m sure coleman will go the legal challenge route(considering how many of smalley`s votes came out of the trunks of cars)....

:lol:

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
there is some upside to this....now that franken has a job,he can finally pay his tax bills that are outstanding from several states(17 !!!)...

might help the economy...:grins:

Last edited:

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
looks like minny will send to congress the world's least funny comedian..... this after having a wrestler as governor........:lol:

good grief, minn. is trying to out perform cali. with their womanizing, body builder, turned 3rd rate actor as governor...but i think with pelosi and "gavin the bawdy" it still tips the balance of insanity in cali`s favor.......

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
--and don't forget 1st congressman swearing on Koran either-Weasie.

Was little doubt this would have same result as Wash Gov race a few years ago that took 3 recounts until they got their man in.

However--can't see any real bitch-considering he had enough votes to warrent recount I'd say Minny deserves him--

Here are some notes of interest on issue that the liberal media has failed to mention from the wall street journal--that most will never be aware of--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123111967642552909.html
Funny Business in Minnesota
In which every dubious ruling seems to help Al Franken.

Strange things keep happening in Minnesota, where the disputed recount in the Senate race between Norm Coleman and Al Franken may be nearing a dubious outcome. Thanks to the machinations of Democratic Secretary of State Mark Ritchie and a meek state Canvassing Board, Mr. Franken may emerge as an illegitimate victor

Mr. Franken started the recount 215 votes behind Senator Coleman, but he now claims a 225-vote lead and suddenly the man who was insisting on "counting every vote" wants to shut the process down. He's getting help from Mr. Ritchie and his four fellow Canvassing Board members, who have delivered inconsistent rulings and are ignoring glaring problems with the tallies.

Under Minnesota law, election officials are required to make a duplicate ballot if the original is damaged during Election Night counting. Officials are supposed to mark these as "duplicate" and segregate the original ballots. But it appears some officials may have failed to mark ballots as duplicates, which are now being counted in addition to the originals. This helps explain why more than 25 precincts now have more ballots than voters who signed in to vote. By some estimates this double counting has yielded Mr. Franken an additional 80 to 100 votes.
This disenfranchises Minnesotans whose vote counted only once. And one Canvassing Board member, State Supreme Court Justice G. Barry Anderson, has acknowledged that "very likely there was a double counting." Yet the board insists that it lacks the authority to question local officials and it is merely adding the inflated numbers to the totals.

In other cases, the board has been flagrantly inconsistent. Last month, Mr. Franken's campaign charged that one Hennepin County (Minneapolis) precinct had "lost" 133 votes, since the hand recount showed fewer ballots than machine votes recorded on Election Night. Though there is no proof to this missing vote charge -- officials may have accidentally run the ballots through the machine twice on Election Night -- the Canvassing Board chose to go with the Election Night total, rather than the actual number of ballots in the recount. That decision gave Mr. Franken a gain of 46 votes.

Meanwhile, a Ramsey County precinct ended up with 177 more ballots than there were recorded votes on Election Night. In that case, the board decided to go with the extra ballots, rather than the Election Night total, even though the county is now showing more ballots than voters in the precinct. This gave Mr. Franken a net gain of 37 votes, which means he's benefited both ways from the board's inconsistency.

And then there are the absentee ballots. The Franken campaign initially howled that some absentee votes had been erroneously rejected by local officials. Counties were supposed to review their absentees and create a list of those they believed were mistakenly rejected. Many Franken-leaning counties did so, submitting 1,350 ballots to include in the results. But many Coleman-leaning counties have yet to complete a re-examination. Despite this lack of uniformity, and though the state Supreme Court has yet to rule on a Coleman request to standardize this absentee review, Mr. Ritchie's office nonetheless plowed through the incomplete pile of 1,350 absentees this weekend, padding Mr. Franken's edge by a further 176

Both campaigns have also suggested that Mr. Ritchie's office made mistakes in tabulating votes that had been challenged by either of the campaigns. And the Canvassing Board appears to have applied inconsistent standards in how it decided some of these challenged votes -- in ways that, again on net, have favored Mr. Franken.

The question is how the board can certify a fair and accurate election result given these multiple recount problems. Yet that is precisely what the five members seem prepared to do when they meet today. Some members seem to have concluded that because one of the candidates will challenge the result in any event, why not get on with it and leave it to the courts? Mr. Coleman will certainly have grounds to contest the result in court, but he'll be at a disadvantage given that courts are understandably reluctant to overrule a certified outcome.

Meanwhile, Minnesota's other Senator, Amy Klobuchar, is already saying her fellow Democrats should seat Mr. Franken when the 111th Congress begins this week if the Canvassing Board certifies him as the winner. This contradicts Minnesota law, which says the state cannot award a certificate of election if one party contests the results. Ms. Klobuchar is trying to create the public perception of a fait accompli, all the better to make Mr. Coleman look like a sore loser and build pressure on him to drop his legal challenge despite the funny recount business.

Minnesotans like to think that their state isn't like New Jersey or Louisiana, and typically it isn't. But we can't recall a similar recount involving optical scanning machines that has changed so many votes, and in which nearly every crucial decision worked to the advantage of the same candidate. The Coleman campaign clearly misjudged the politics here, and the apparent willingness of a partisan like Mr. Ritchie to help his preferred candidate, Mr. Franken. If the Canvassing Board certifies Mr. Franken as the winner based on the current count, it will be anointing a tainted and undeserving Senator.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"

Was little doubt this would have same result as Wash Gov race a few years ago that took 3 recounts until they got their man in.

However--can't see any real bitch-considering he had enough votes to warrent recount I'd say Minny deserves him--

QUOTE]

i would agree with you brother if he were just minny`s problem....unfortunately he a "u.s. senator" in d.c. from minnesota so we all pay the freight....

but,you`re right....it was very close....

/he's good enough, he's smart enough, and gosh darn it, his people printed up enough ballots....

:thumb:

BobbyBlueChip

Trustee
Forum Member
Dec 27, 2000
Belly of the Beast

Here are some notes of interest on issue that the liberal media has failed to mention from the wall street journal--that most will never be aware of--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123111967642552909.html
Funny Business in Minnesota
In which every dubious ruling seems to help Al Franken.

Strange things keep happening in Minnesota, where the disputed recount in the Senate race between Norm Coleman and Al Franken may be nearing a dubious outcome. Thanks to the machinations of Democratic Secretary of State Mark Ritchie and a meek state Canvassing Board, Mr. Franken may emerge as an illegitimate victor

Mr. Franken started the recount 215 votes behind Senator Coleman, but he now claims a 225-vote lead and suddenly the man who was insisting on "counting every vote" wants to shut the process down. He's getting help from Mr. Ritchie and his four fellow Canvassing Board members, who have delivered inconsistent rulings and are ignoring glaring problems with the tallies.

Under Minnesota law, election officials are required to make a duplicate ballot if the original is damaged during Election Night counting. Officials are supposed to mark these as "duplicate" and segregate the original ballots. But it appears some officials may have failed to mark ballots as duplicates, which are now being counted in addition to the originals. This helps explain why more than 25 precincts now have more ballots than voters who signed in to vote. By some estimates this double counting has yielded Mr. Franken an additional 80 to 100 votes.
This disenfranchises Minnesotans whose vote counted only once. And one Canvassing Board member, State Supreme Court Justice G. Barry Anderson, has acknowledged that "very likely there was a double counting." Yet the board insists that it lacks the authority to question local officials and it is merely adding the inflated numbers to the totals.

In other cases, the board has been flagrantly inconsistent. Last month, Mr. Franken's campaign charged that one Hennepin County (Minneapolis) precinct had "lost" 133 votes, since the hand recount showed fewer ballots than machine votes recorded on Election Night. Though there is no proof to this missing vote charge -- officials may have accidentally run the ballots through the machine twice on Election Night -- the Canvassing Board chose to go with the Election Night total, rather than the actual number of ballots in the recount. That decision gave Mr. Franken a gain of 46 votes.

Meanwhile, a Ramsey County precinct ended up with 177 more ballots than there were recorded votes on Election Night. In that case, the board decided to go with the extra ballots, rather than the Election Night total, even though the county is now showing more ballots than voters in the precinct. This gave Mr. Franken a net gain of 37 votes, which means he's benefited both ways from the board's inconsistency.

And then there are the absentee ballots. The Franken campaign initially howled that some absentee votes had been erroneously rejected by local officials. Counties were supposed to review their absentees and create a list of those they believed were mistakenly rejected. Many Franken-leaning counties did so, submitting 1,350 ballots to include in the results. But many Coleman-leaning counties have yet to complete a re-examination. Despite this lack of uniformity, and though the state Supreme Court has yet to rule on a Coleman request to standardize this absentee review, Mr. Ritchie's office nonetheless plowed through the incomplete pile of 1,350 absentees this weekend, padding Mr. Franken's edge by a further 176

Both campaigns have also suggested that Mr. Ritchie's office made mistakes in tabulating votes that had been challenged by either of the campaigns. And the Canvassing Board appears to have applied inconsistent standards in how it decided some of these challenged votes -- in ways that, again on net, have favored Mr. Franken.

The question is how the board can certify a fair and accurate election result given these multiple recount problems. Yet that is precisely what the five members seem prepared to do when they meet today. Some members seem to have concluded that because one of the candidates will challenge the result in any event, why not get on with it and leave it to the courts? Mr. Coleman will certainly have grounds to contest the result in court, but he'll be at a disadvantage given that courts are understandably reluctant to overrule a certified outcome.

Meanwhile, Minnesota's other Senator, Amy Klobuchar, is already saying her fellow Democrats should seat Mr. Franken when the 111th Congress begins this week if the Canvassing Board certifies him as the winner. This contradicts Minnesota law, which says the state cannot award a certificate of election if one party contests the results. Ms. Klobuchar is trying to create the public perception of a fait accompli, all the better to make Mr. Coleman look like a sore loser and build pressure on him to drop his legal challenge despite the funny recount business.

Minnesotans like to think that their state isn't like New Jersey or Louisiana, and typically it isn't. But we can't recall a similar recount involving optical scanning machines that has changed so many votes, and in which nearly every crucial decision worked to the advantage of the same candidate. The Coleman campaign clearly misjudged the politics here, and the apparent willingness of a partisan like Mr. Ritchie to help his preferred candidate, Mr. Franken. If the Canvassing Board certifies Mr. Franken as the winner based on the current count, it will be anointing a tainted and undeserving Senator.

Let's just keep to the facts here, Wayne. it "appears" . . . it "may" . . . .Just let Democracy run it's course

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
the worst election crime in the history of America was done by George W Bush and Cheney.

where was Jimmy Carter when we needed him.

Supreme Court decides for Bush :scared

we were the laughing stock of the world on that election.

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
the worst election crime in the history of America was done by George W Bush and Cheney.

where was Jimmy Carter when we needed him.

Supreme Court decides for Bush :scared

we were the laughing stock of the world on that election.
Yeah, butthings turned out really good......for Haliburton!

ImFeklhr

Raconteur
Forum Member
Oct 3, 2005
San Francisco
What interests me the most is how an election with 3 million votes can come down to a margin of 200 votes in either direction. What are the odds??1? This must make statisticians and demographic/election academics wet their pants.

When the race is this close, I think it is a coin flip either way. There is no way in hell that amongst 3 million votes there weren't at least 5000-10000 ballots that had some weirdness going on. Whoever wins, stole it, or got lucky.. because in truth there is no way to know who really got more votes.

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
Honestly, I've been very busy over the past couple of weeks, but I'm starting to get more plugged in to this situation. The first thing I notice here, is that Wayne puts up an unnamed Wall Street Journal opinion about what underhanded and suspicious occurances took place in this recount scenario. As I recall, the WSJ is now under the parenting of Rupert Murdoch, and this particular opinion piece is not attributed to any one person. Coincidence? I think not. And of course, it would be up to others to dispute the theories put forth here, by a Rupert Murdoch employee, to offset the commentary by a mainly economic themed newspaper - or at least it used to be before Murdoch took over, and the previous editor left (hmmm, I wonder why...).

The questioning of the canvassing board is arguable, for sure, as half of the board is definitely republican, and one of the judges is extremely conservative and republican tinged. These guys were named to their positions by republican Governor Pawlenty, a presumed top dog moving forward in the party. Is he going to let anything tinge his future, especially by allowing a democratic strongarming occur in his home state? Doubtful.

Most of the situations put forth here, I assume, were looked at by the bi-partisan board, and I know there were other dubious and questionable situations in precincts and areas in the state that went Coleman's way that of course weren't mentioned in this article.

Again, I didn't vote for Franken, nor did I vote for Coleman - I voted for the Independent candidate. I can't stand Coleman, and personally don't care for Franken. The cheap shots on Minnesotans is expected, and perhaps warranted, but the fact remains that we do not simply cowtow to the status quo, and are unique enough to challenge conventional wisdom. Ventura by most reports did an ok job in his role as Governor, and people liked the idea of a non-politician who didn't play the game representing them. I don't think that's as much the case with Franken, who is more in tune with the liberal base due to his outspoken and public years as a talk show host. In listening to him those years, I realized he was not a visionary (IMO), he was just a mouthpiece for liberal views, to the point of ridicule (again, IMO).

I do find it funny that so many people ridicule the traditional politician, say they are all the same and you can't support or believe them, and then ridicule Minnesotans who have broken that mold and seemingly require more uniqueness than that. I don't necessarily defend the people that have been elected, but I guess I'd ask some to be more consistent in their commentary and way of thinking.

One thing is constant, though. Wayne will seemingly always quote the message of his messiah - Rupert Murdoch - in looking at the ways of America.

Viva, 'la Australia!!! :00hour

Bet on MyBookie