All Star game balloting, for or against the current system?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Subagoto

Forum Member
Jun 11, 2001
Virginia
none
There needs to be some sort of change, IMHO. I am growing tired of years where guys like Cal, Griffey, Nomar, etc get on the team when they have had not had the first half of the season to warrant it. Sure, guys that should be on the team do get on through the coaches selections, but the spots those "name recognition" guys take up sometime elimate other players that are having a good year. I know the game is for the fans, but Griffey and Ripken on the All Star team is just ridiculous. And these guys might be voted as starters! I think it should be a very small % based on the fan ballots, maybe only 10%, and the rest based on the coaches and players choice. Thoughts anyone?

[This message has been edited by Subagoto (edited 06-19-2001).]

Rama

Forum Member
Sep 7, 2000
What makes you think the players would know any more than the fans? For years the NFL selected its probowl based on votes by the players and they would routinely select players based on rep, not the performance on the field. Either way, you get players that don't belong.

Subagoto

Forum Member
Jun 11, 2001
Virginia
none
Hmmm, good point. Kind points a kink in my idea. Maybe weight that one at 25%. At least the players would have played against one another and at the very least be familiar with each other.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg