GFan9991

Forum Member
Jan 1, 2006
Columbus, OH
2005 AL 7-5 NL
2004 AL 9-4 NL
2003 AL 7-6 NL
2002 AL 7-7 NL :mj07: :nono:

The past history of the last 4 games leans towards the over 10.5 runs being the play tonight. Pitchers are almost never willing to pitch inside in these "exhibition" games. Instead, they tend to try to paint the outside corner and they end up leaving a lot of balls over the plate. Looking at the pitching rosters of both teams, I see a distinct advantage to the AL roster due to the power arms that they have. In the past, most of the All-Star managers have used all of the closers available to them. The AL's quartet of Papelbon, Rivera, Ryan, and Jenks is a hell of a lot more reliable than Turnbow :shrug: , Fuentes :scared , Gordon, and Hoffman.
Therefore I think the picks are the AL(ML and RL) and the over 10.5 runs.

moneydog

Forum Member
Jul 9, 2006
over 10.5 seems like a solid pick.

i guess most people pick the al to win.

what do you guys think about the rl?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
P

payne034

Dont forget the al starting pitching looks far more superior but their era as a whole is a half run higher than the nl. NL is around 3 as the al is around 3.5.

just a stat to help out hopefully

I took their will be a run scored in the first inning. I think the nl gets to kenny rogers.

GFan9991

Forum Member
Jan 1, 2006
Columbus, OH
Payne,
I think that is a very solid bet because as a Tigers fan, I have watched most of their games and it seems like the time that Rogers is most susceptible is in that 1st inning because he comes out a little excited and leaves balls up in the strike zone. When he gets in his groove, his breaking ball stays at or below the hitters' knees. In his first All Star start, I look for his juices to be flowing even more, and I could easily see him leaving a couple hangers. With Soriano, Beltran, Pujols, and Bay those balls could easily be sent right back over the wall.

wcb4

Forum Member
Jun 30, 2002
Colorado
payne, while i tend to agree with you about the nl hitting kenny, most will attribute the half a run diff in era to the dh in the al.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

GFan9991

Forum Member
Jan 1, 2006
Columbus, OH
Just seems that Rogers tends to start a little rocky. I see value in the 1st Inning Run Scored bet

Kenny Rogers

7/05- Oakland A's- Mark Ellis: Strike looking, Ball, Ellis flied out to center.
Jason Kendall: Strike looking, Kendall doubled to center.
Bobby Crosby: Ball, Strike looking, Foul, Crosby struck out swinging.
Frank Thomas: Ball, Strike looking, Strike swinging, Ball, Ball, Thomas walked.
Jay Payton: Ball, Ball, Strike looking, Payton grounded into fielder's choice to shortstop, Thomas out at second.
End of Inning (0 Runs, 1 Hit, 0 Errors)

6/30- Pittsburgh Pirates- Jose A. Bautista: Ball, Ball, Strike looking, Strike looking, Ball, Bautista tripled to center.
Jack Wilson: Ball, Wilson grounded out to third.
Sean Casey: Strike looking, Casey hit sacrifice fly to left, Bautista scored.
Jason Bay: Ball, Bay singled to left center.
Jose Castillo: Pickoff attempt, Pickoff attempt, Ball, Castillo grounded out to catcher.
End of Inning (1 Run, 2 Hits, 0 Errors

6/24- St. Louis Cardinals-David Eckstein: Ball, Strike looking, Ball, Eckstein grounded out to pitcher.
Scott Spiezio: Foul, Strike swinging, Ball, Ball, Ball, Spiezio walked.
Albert Pujols: Foul, Ball, Pujols singled to center, Spiezio to third.
Scott Rolen: Ball, Ball, Spiezio scored, Pujols to third on Rogers' throwing error, Foul, Rolen hit sacrifice fly to center, Pujols scored.
Juan Encarnacion: Foul, Encarnacion grounded out to third.
End of Inning (2 Runs, 1 Hit, 1 Error)

Dugan

Forum Member
Aug 27, 2001
Ocean County, New Jersey
This is the allstar game and perhaps Rogers last. He will bring his A game and give everything he has. NL will not score off him in the first, maybe not at all.
Good Luck.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Marra

Forum Member
Aug 31, 2002
Chicago, Tempe
Dugan said:
This is the allstar game and perhaps Rogers last. He will bring his A game and give everything he has. NL will not score off him in the first, maybe not at all.
Good Luck.

It's not like he wouldn't try if it was his first All Star game...I'm pretty sure his effort will probably be the same.