Announcer BOB GRIESE suspended 1 week.

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Keeko

Forum Member
Feb 13, 2008
Chicago
MARTINSVILLE, Va. (AP) ? ESPN broadcaster Bob Griese apologized twice Saturday for a remark he made about NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya while announcing the Minnesota-Ohio State game.
During the broadcast, ESPN ran a graphic listing the top five drivers in NASCAR?s Chase for the championship points race. Fellow analyst Chris Spielman asked where was Montoya, who is Colombian. Griese replied that he was ?out having a taco.?
As the game was wrapping up, Griese, the Pro Football Hall of Famer and former Miami Dolphins quarterback, apologized for the remark and said that Montoya is one of the best drivers in NASCAR.
At halftime of ESPN?s coverage of Florida-Mississippi State, Griese apologized again.
?Earlier today on our game I made an offensive comment regarding Juan Pablo Montoya as part of a NASCAR promo. It was regrettable and I should not have said it. I really enjoy NASCAR and I follow it closely and would like to take this opportunity to apologize to Juan, NASCAR and everyone else who heard my comment,? he said.
In a statement, ESPN called the remark ?inappropriate.?
?ESPN has spoken to Bob and he understands that his comment was uncalled for,? the statement said.

This politically correct bullshit needs to stop. What he said was funny. :mj07:

BuckwheatJWN

Forum Member
Aug 13, 2009
Anyone on this site too young to remember the POLLOCK jokes of the late 60's and 70's and probably earlier. Hell, they even told them on themselves. Anyway eventually they went away without the help of the PC POLICE. I imagine if you told a joke about Polish people and their sterotype of lack of intelligence today, 20 year old would just look at you. :shrug:
Maybe the Catholics should get upset the next time a long desperation pass is referred to as a HAIL MARY.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Keeko

Forum Member
Feb 13, 2008
Chicago
What would have happened if Montoya was white and he would have said he is out having a burger? Not a fucking thing. It's all bullshit. Where the hell is Archie Bunker when you need him.

bej0101

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 12, 2001
Uranus
i hate all this political correct crap..why can't a joking comment be just that..i'm mad as hell and i'm not going to take it anymore..:mad:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

joefrog91

Rah, Rah, TCU!
Forum Member
Nov 13, 2002
Waco, TX
Was it uncalled for? Yes

Should Griese have been suspended? No

As a Hispanic male, I've heard worse to my face. I don't for one second believe Bob Griese is a racist or a bigot. I believe he said something in jest that was genuinely funny to him. Unfortunately for him, it wasn't and he was called on it.

I've long since stop letting little comments like this bother me because they don't mean anything to me.

Now, let's get back to talking about betting college football and leave this kind of topic for another time and forum.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg