Any Given Sunday.....your opinion?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

kilrbzz

Forum Member
Jun 5, 2001
Orlando
As I watched this game and saw history being made before my eyes I tried to put it all in perspective. This is first Superbowl I have not make even the slightest wager or prop. I for one had a miserable football season after my all-time best last year. After some thought I broke this season down to try and learn from my mistakes. I believe the NFL did indeed prove itself to be the most difficult to cap of the major pro sports. Most cappers have long thought this to be true. Regardless it remains the sport with the heaviest action.

The learning curve that used to apply in the league is gone. No more do teams pay there dues before making a jump to contender. Worst to first is no longer impressive its simply commonplace. What you did last year means nothing with all the league movement. Obviously free agency has played a key role in defining the ever changing talent level of a team. A key aquisition here or there, not necessarily a superstar, can dynamically change a teams chemistry.

With Salary cap restrictions and teams that are cap-strapped have been forced more and more to depend on first and second year players in the starting lineups. Given this situation, coaching seems to be even more important. These players must learn on the fly and the faster they can be taught the better. Is it coincidence that the most innovative coaches in the league are going deep into the playoffs?

Special Teams stick out like a sore thumb! Obviously special teams are a huge reason why the Pats won it all. Most teams pay kickers and punters the minimum in order to spend more elsewhere. Vinatieri proved himself to be the best pressure kicker in the league with two game winners in the playoffs. Two special teams TD's beat the number one seed in the AFC, Pittsburgh. It has long been overlooked by not only many gamblers but NFL teams and coaches as well. Very few offensive or defensive starters play on special teams yet these are your best players. I know the argument of not wanting to lose your starters to injury, however, throughout the course of a season and playoffs would the gains in field position, fumble recoveries, TD returns and decrease of mental mistakes outweigh a few injuries? Troy Brown may have a good argument.

Defense still wins championships. The team that turns over the ball generally loses. There is no "I" in team. Clubs playing there best ball at the end of the year has an excellent chance to go the distance regardless of seeding. And on "any given sunday" all upsets are possible!:eek: :eek: :eek:

BobbyBlueChip

Trustee
Forum Member
Dec 27, 2000
Belly of the Beast
Enjoyed reading your analysis. I did about the same in the NFL this year as I did last year, but my winning weeks were the complete opposite of last year. You used to be able to make a fortune off of teams that got timely turnovers to win games as winning hides alot of flaws, but the Patriots came through in the clutch all year. And at some point, it's not just luck.

If the NFL would just remove the Patriots and the Jets, I think that I could retire in two years