Any Mechanics?

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
I have a 2005 KIA Rio. Ok stop laughing.

The Timing belt snapped and it blew the engine.
Long story short not covered by anything because the beltIs supposed to be replaced at 60,000 miles. I bring the car to A Kia Dealer. One month and $3500 later I have my car back with
a used engine.

A week later I notice drips on my driveway. I bring it back to the KIA Dealer. He says my transmission is leaking. It is a non-serviceable transmission
And the whole transmission needs to be replaced.

I ask if this is caused by the engine change. (I figure worth a try LOL!)

He says it is impossible that caused it. It is just an unfortunate situation.

Any car guys is it possible?

Shleprock

Forum Member
Jan 21, 2007
I have a 2005 KIA Rio. Ok stop laughing.

Long story short not covered by anything because the beltIs supposed to be replaced at 60,000 miles. I bring the car to A Kia Dealer. One month and $3500 later I have my car back with
a used engine.

A week later I notice drips on my driveway. I bring it back to the KIA Dealer. He says my transmission is leaking. It is a non-serviceable transmission
And the whole transmission needs to be replaced.

I ask if this is caused by the engine change. (I figure worth a try LOL!)

He says it is impossible that caused it. It is just an unfortunate situation.

Any car guys is it possible?

Doesn't kia have a 10 year 100,000 powertrain warranty? Replacing engine wouldn't cause a fluid leak in tranny. Anyways that is a non-serviceable tranny and powertrain warranty if it applies to you should still cover the tranny the timing belt had nothing to do with it. One thing on those foreign cars if timing belt breaks you will destroy engine that's why they should be done by the book. If Kia won't give you a tranny your're looking at about a $3000 job.

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
They do but I bought the car used. And I am not sure if they had that 100,000 miles warrenty in 2005. I will ask when I pick it up.

Nole

Forum Member
Jan 7, 2002
Knoxville, Tn USA

Wish I was the engine!!!

rim-shot-.jpg

Dead Money

Forum Member
Sep 15, 2005
Upstairs watching sports on the big TV.
not a mechanic, but it appears

not a mechanic, but it appears

awful suspicious that trans leaking after an engine swap would "suddenly" occur.

If it is a "sealed transmission" what is there to leak? Maybe it has an oil cooler with oil lines that has a minor leak, or a seal?

Think I would get a second opinion from a trusted mechanic.

Good luck.

Terryray

Say Parlay
Forum Member
Seal leaks are the most common reason for tranny leaks after engine replacement. For example, many specify a front tranny seal to be replaced anytime you separate engine from the tranny, to reduce chance of leaking.

But I don't know your particular one.

So I agree with Dead Money. Best get second opinion from tranny rebuild shop as some dealers don't fix trannys, they just replace them. So for them every tranny is a sealed unit that can't be fixed.

kiaparts quotes $610 for your tranny. That means you should be able to get new tranny installed for under $2K, if you have to go that route.

yep, keep us updated

Bet on MyBookie