Anybody else like Boston tonight!?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

JediCapper

Forum Member
May 22, 2002
Southern Ohio
No team in the majors has a better road record than the Boston Red Sox...but I do understand this is Seattle. Burkett has been getting great run support...nearly 7 runs per start(on the road). I think +160 is a excellent price...not that Iam saying that the wrong team is favored - but I think Boston is the better team.

Also liked Cleveland alot tomorrow.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. thanks :D

Nickelback

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2001
Southwest
Jedi,

This one caught my eye as well. . . can't understand why the Mariners are favored by so much when facing Burkett. Have they crushed him in the past? Guess these are things I'll be looking into this afternoon.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

60 SEC ASSASSIN

Forum Member
Jun 7, 2002
Hollywood, CA
I think you have a winner with Cleveland tomorrow. Although Sabathia hasn't had that great of a year and the Indians have a lousy road record (22-36), the Indians have the ability to crank out runs. And this should be no problem going up against Sturtze who is a horrendous 1-12 for the year. Just my .02

JediCapper

Forum Member
May 22, 2002
Southern Ohio
appreciate the insight....i think iam gonna call that man tomrrow and throw a few units on the Sox and just lay the juice on the the Indians.

GLA!

go red sox

redsox1.gif

Last edited:

ndnfan

certified
Forum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Ohio
Jedi....Love the Cleveland play, and really have no opinion on Boston, but just a FYI on that best road record...be careful, cause that's pretty much just from their hot start. I know they are just around .500 on the road over a pretty good stretch after that hot road start.

Good luck today!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Stanton

Forum Member
Jun 20, 2002
excellent price...but i would think if the odds were even..say -110 both ways, one would have to take seattle at home with pineiro over burkett. value is there but are they going to win straight up. good luck if you play it.

JediCapper

Forum Member
May 22, 2002
Southern Ohio
From the Boston Globe

From the Boston Globe

SEATTLE - Consider it the Weight Watchers approach to championship baseball. Burdened by a four-game bulge as his club chases the division-leading Yankees, Red Sox manager Grady Little yesterday confronted the predicament as if he were suddenly determined to battle the unwelcome effects of a lifetime of late-night snacking - with undivided purpose, yet not too fast.

''It's like a guy who's really overweight,'' Little said. ''If you're overweight by a hundred pounds and you're trying to lose 80 pounds, that's a tough thing to do. But if you lose a pound a week, that's a little more achievable.''

Thus the Little Diet for the second-place Sox: incremental deficit reduction, starting tonight when they enter the final seven weeks of the season by opening a six-game odyssey through Seattle and Minnesota.

''It doesn't matter who we're playing,'' Little said. ''When you're behind the New York Yankees by four games, you set goals in your mind. Right now, what we're trying to do is pick up one game a week.''

At that rate, barring a work stoppage, the Sox would enter the postseason as kings of the American League East, three games up on Boss Steinbrenner's Nine. Nice plan, on paper.

But before the Fenway faithful become vegans en masse in solidarity with the Little Diet, they may want additional evidence that the Sox have fully overcome the two-month malaise in which they went 28-31 after roaring to a 40-17 start. The Sox showed signs of significant improvement in taking three of the last four games from the A's and Twins at Fenway before they headed west Sunday.

But as heartened as the Sox were, particularly by Tim Wakefield's brilliance in dashing the Twins Sunday, 3-1, they know they have plenty yet to prove. Almost to a man, Sox players and executives attributed their two months of underachievement to one of the banes of baseball: a lack of consistency.

''We've been a bit inconsistent for whatever reason,'' interim general manager Mike Port said. ''If we could identify or quantify it, we would adjust accordingly, but it varies. Some days we don't get the offense and we get the pitching. Some days we get the offense and we don't get the pitching. But I still have confidence in this club. We're in position to do some good things.''

Their inconsistency has been exemplified best by their woeful record in one-run games. After winning seven of their first nine one-run games, they have since won only four of 21 - and only one of their last seven.

Blame it on a paucity of clutch hitting, a porous bullpen, the performance of starters other than Pedro Martinez and Derek Lowe, or all of the above. Righthander John Burkett, a veteran of pennant races in both leagues, suggested that every member of the team needs to look in the mirror as they prepare for the stretch drive.

''I think the concentration level has to be better on all our parts,'' said Burkett (10-5), who faces righthander Joel Pineiro (11-4) tonight in the opener of the three-game set at Safeco Field. ''We need to concentrate harder on every aspect of the game. That's how you put together streaks. It's not going to happen just sitting and thinking it's going to happen. It's going to take tremendous concentration and execution.''

The sooner the better, Burkett indicated, as he tries to prevent the Sox from opening a sixth straight series with a loss.

''This game is going to be important,'' he said, ''because we need to get on a little streak right here.''

That could be problematic, since the Sox, who are 3-3 against the Mariners this season (1-2 at Safeco), will face Seattle's best starters: Pineiro, lefthander Jamie Moyer (12-4), and righthander Freddy Garcia (12-8). The Sox were fortunate to miss Moyer in the first six meetings and faced Pineiro and Garcia only once each. Boston will counter tomorrow with Derek Lowe (16-5) against Moyer and will send Casey Fossum (2-1) to oppose Garcia Thursday.

Garcia, who led the AL in ERA (3.05) last year and went 11-5 before the All-Star break, narrowly lost, 3-2, to Burkett May 19 at Fenway. But Garcia has struggled since the break, going 1-3 with a 6.63 ERA.

''This is as tough a stretch as I've had [in my career],'' Garcia told reporters.

The Sox could make headway if three players who have hit Seattle pitching well throughout their careers continue the pace. Brian Daubach has hit .367 (29 for 79) against the Mariners with 4 homers and 20 RBIs. Nomar Garciaparra has batted .339 (79 for 233) with 14 homers and 58 RBIs. And Manny Ramirez has averaged .312, with 21 homers and 74 RBIs.

But it may all come down to consistency.

''The hitting and pitching have to come together now instead of one carrying the other,'' said reliever Willie Banks. ''We haven't really played well in a while. We had that streak early in the season and just haven't turned it back on again. But that's the good part. We know we will, and that's what it's about - starting well and finishing well.''

JediCapper

Forum Member
May 22, 2002
Southern Ohio
From the Seattle Times

From the Seattle Times

Mariners
Next up: Boston Red Sox

The Red Sox come to Seattle for three games starting tonight, having gone 5-5 in their past 10 games and standing one game (even in the loss column) behind Anaheim in the American League wild-card race. Boston is close to the rare Triple Crown in team performance that Seattle achieved last year.

The Red Sox lead the league in pitching with a 3.75 earned-run average and are tied with the Angels for the lead in hitting at .280, and are tied for second in fielding at .985. If former Mariner Rickey Henderson plays in all three games he will tie Ty Cobb for fourth place on the all-time list at 3,033 games.

Who's hot: SS Nomar Garciaparra has a 10-game hitting streak (20 for 42), is fifth in the American League in hitting at .316 and fourth with 95 runs batted in. ... 3B Shea Hillenbrand has hit in 11 of 15 games (21 for 58), is second in the league in road batting at .346 and in the top 10 in road average at .309. ... CF Johnny Damon has hit in 10 of 13 games, going 16 for 55. ... DH Carlos Baerga hit in 7 of 9 games (10 of 26).

Who's not: RF Trot Nixon went 3 for 19 on the recent six-game homestand. ... C Jason Varitek was 1 for 13 during the homestand. ... C Doug Mirabelli was 0 for 8 during the homestand. ... LF Manny Ramirez has two homers in 18 games.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

JediCapper

Forum Member
May 22, 2002
Southern Ohio
From MLB.COM

From MLB.COM

Tough trip could be Sox 's spark

The Red Sox have been searching for something, anything, to get back on the type of joyride they enjoyed in April and May. The opportunity -- as challenging as it may be -- has arrived.
The Red Sox are on the road for the next six games, where they will go head on with AL West leader Seattle and AL Central leader Minnesota.

Teams can be built or destroyed on trips like this, though the Red Sox -- with seven weeks left in the season -- would settle for holding their own.

Four games behind the Yankees in the AL East, the Red Sox are trying to chop at least one game off that deficit each week.

The fun starts at Safeco Field Tuesday night, when Boston's John Burkett (10-5, 4.19) opposes Seattle's Joel Pineiro (11-4, 3.26).

"I think going into the trip, you hate to say .500 would be good, but it would be decent against these two teams," said Red Sox right-hander John Burkett. "But 4-2 would be better, 5-1 would be even better. It's pretty obvious what we're looking at. It's still only six games. We still have a long way to go. I don't hear any magic numbers under 10 yet so I think we're OK."

Instead of magic numbers, the Red Sox -- who are just a half-game back in the wild-card race -- are trying to create some magic. After building a 36-15 start, they are 32-33 since June 1. Manager Grady Little knows that teams envisioning a run into October can't afford to be stuck in the mud for much longer.

"In the last couple of months, we have been inconsistent in our results and I feel like this is as good a time as any to get something rolling here," Little said. "We are headed in an upward direction. I feel good about our club still."

There is reason to feel optimistic about this team. Unlike a year ago, when their health completely unraveled, the Red Sox have all their key components -- aside from Dustin Hermanson -- on the active roster in crunch time.

Pedro Martinez and Derek Lowe are the American League's top pitching tandem. Nomar Garciaparra is likely to reach 100 RBIs this week. And Manny Ramirez is overdue for one of those torrid stretches where he carries the offense for a couple of weeks.

The Red Sox come into this trip with a little momentum, after taking two out of three from the tough Twins at Fenway. And it's not like being away from Fenway has haunted the Red Sox. They are 37-21 in the road greys.

"We know (the Mariners) are a tough team," Garciaparra said. "But we play tough teams every day. That's baseball."

In Pineiro, Jamie Moyer and Freddy Garcia, the Red Sox are going against the teeth of the Mariners pitching staff. They have Lowe on tap Wednesday, and Martinez -- with his 31-inning scoreless streak -- lined up Friday night at the Metrodome.

"We're facing some tough competition with Minnesota and Seattle," said knuckleballer Tim Wakefield, who takes his start Saturday in Minnesota. "But if we can go on this road trip and go 4-2, that will be huge for us coming back home."

The Red Sox have seen enough of both teams to know what they are up against.

"They can do everything," Red Sox center fielder Johnny Damon said. "They can bunt, they can run, play defense, they have a solid pitching staff. They put the ball in play, they don't strike out much and they have some sock to go with it. If you can win two out of three, you're definitely very happy."

TLove

Forum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Be careful of the Sox....

I'm not saying laff off the pick but this is usually the time of year they start to IMPLODE..........