ANYBODY ELSE THINKING ABOUT HOARDING INCANDESCENT BULBS...LOL

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
i am...can`t stand those cfl`s.....i don`t like the quality of light...i can almost see the thousands of flickers a second....

not to mention that they`re practically all made in china...and you don`t have to don hazmat gear or call in a cercla crew if you drop an incandescent bulb......

can you imagine having a disaster at your house?....something happens at your house in which you have to not only either rebuild or clean up a big mess(god forbid),but you`re forced to hire a crew at around $1000 a bulb to clean them up?.....maybe 25 or 30 bulbs.........

i just grabbed some g.e.`s at walmart for $1.24 a four pack...

f-ck china...

http://www.globalclimatescam.com/20...s-end-of-era-for-us-means-more-jobs-overseas/

Last edited:
Reactions: Cie

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
my old lady bought a bunch of these half-light/ curly m.f.`ing bulbs and put them in strategic positions around the house that were sure to drive me f`ing crazy or kill me...

after a few weeks of stumbling around in the shadows i ripped em all out...and have been buying incandescents by the jeepload ever since...

they really think that people are going to drive these mercury filled poison mushrooms to some special facility every time one burns out?...

it`s insanity...these things are more toxic than lead...

i can see a time coming when i`ll be out on the street corner in a trench coat selling incandescents at 10 times the original price...:walk:

hedgehog

Registered
Forum Member
Oct 30, 2003
TX
I never had a curly q light bulb burn out, ever...I use them in lamps and in places that are hard to replace...

I dont agree with the save the world part, but they do last longer :shrug:

Theismann

Forum Member
Jul 1, 2004
I never had a curly q light bulb burn out, ever...I use them in lamps and in places that are hard to replace...

I dont agree with the save the world part, but they do last longer :shrug:

must say these fukers do pay for there selves seen it in my electric bill just my 2 cents:0008

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
mercury is an element(like the arsenic they used to use in pressure treated lumbar)...it doesn`t dissipate......it`s forever..if you have young kids or pets,be very careful....

give it about 25-30 years when our landfills start filling up with this poison....if the mercury ends up in ground water,it?ll make mercury contaminated seafood seem almost meaningless...

and this...

http://deadenders.wordpress.com/2009/07/24/watt-the-cfl-walmarts-trying-to-kill-me/

should be a hoot...

Last edited:

Doughboy

Hoo-Hoo
Forum Member
Jan 2, 2001
Austin,TX
LED's are our future..not the CFL's..Better light, 8-10 years life span, and more efficient. Lowe's and Home Depot are starting to get them in and in a few years, they will be much more affordable.

And, I have made a really nice buck or two trading the stocks as this whole LED movement is just getting started.

Check out VECO, EFOI, NEXS, RBCN if you are looking for a good loner term investment in the space...growth through the roof.

Reactions: Skulnik

WhatsHisNuts

Woke
Forum Member
Aug 29, 2006
Earth
www.ffrf.org
The thing that pisses me off about the curly's is they use the same measurement (ex 65W) as the old bulbs but the amount of light is completely different. Is there a better way to compare "light" when shopping for these things?

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
LED's are our future..not the CFL's..Better light, 8-10 years life span, and more efficient. Lowe's and Home Depot are starting to get them in and in a few years, they will be much more affordable.

And, I have made a really nice buck or two trading the stocks as this whole LED movement is just getting started.

Check out VECO, EFOI, NEXS, RBCN if you are looking for a good loner term investment in the space...growth through the roof.

i`ve also read that led`s are the future...but they still need some work...they`re dead white and a little harsh...they`re expensive..but the bigger problem they have with the led?s is that they they are good spot lights, but lousy area lights, since they project a beam of light, instead of 360 degrees like flourescents and incandescents....

hopefully down the road,they tweak them...

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
No offense, GW, but it's interesting to me that you're apparently so concerned about mercury pollution and other forms of pollution that are all around us every day that a lot of smart people say are serious issues don't seem to bother you. Not trying to take this to a bad place, just sayin'...

To your point, I'm not hoarding those bulbs but i do prefer the light of the incandescents, and am also ignorant as to how to figure what lights to get to get bright enough light. I've tried to switch over some, but haven't really yet - prefer the oldies so far.

The Sponge

Forum Member
Aug 24, 2006
Yeah they last longer but not as much as they are supposed too. For the price of them i dont see the savings. I hear in NJ and NY they give them out for free. I think the fukers give me a headache unless im mistaken and the headaches are coming from reading a Weasel post.

Skulnik

Truth Teller
Forum Member
Mar 30, 2007
Jefferson City, Missouri
I'm holding on to 8 dead bulbs now, they only lasted a few months to a year, I have replaced them with the old type, I will buy the LCD when the price goes down.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
No offense, GW, but it's interesting to me that you're apparently so concerned about mercury pollution and other forms of pollution that are all around us every day that a lot of smart people say are serious issues don't seem to bother you. Not trying to take this to a bad place, just sayin'...

To your point, I'm not hoarding those bulbs but i do prefer the light of the incandescents, and am also ignorant as to how to figure what lights to get to get bright enough light. I've tried to switch over some, but haven't really yet - prefer the oldies so far.

i think we should be able to use any lightbulb we please...let the market decide...like healthcare..

to your point,i also think it`s funny that the environ-mental obsessives are willing to try and save a few energy pennies by MANDATING the types of lighbulbs we use but could care less about polluting the environment....i don`t understand how one can square that...

a bit of a contradiction...just like stopping our own oil companies from drilling in the gulf whilesupporting the brazilian oil industry(2 billion bucks to petrobas)....helping them to create their own jobs while placing a 7 year ban on our own companies......not only that but to store a huge reservoir of their crude in a deepwater floating reservoir in the gulf of mexico.......

what`s the difference between their oil and our oil when we`ve been sold a bill of goods that oil is akin to the black death?....just means that they get the jobs...

we`re not discussing whether or not man causes global warming... we talking about instituting a governmental mandate on the population that forces people to use only a certain type of lightbulb....one that`s extremely toxic to people and the environment...i don`t like that...

and what`s even more galling is the fact that this decision(that came during the bush adm. but under a democratic controlled congress)is putting americans out of work....

g.e.(this administrations good buddy) is making a killing by making all these cfl lightbulbs in china by using basically slave labor(comparatively).....

if we`re talking contradictions,theres plenty to go around...

Last edited:

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
Yeah they last longer but not as much as they are supposed too. For the price of them i dont see the savings. I hear in NJ and NY they give them out for free. I think the fukers give me a headache unless im mistaken and the headaches are coming from reading a Weasel post.

your headache is due to the effort it takes your mini-brain to figure out how to microwave a frozen burrito...

Last edited:
Reactions: Skulnik

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
I wasn't asking for a list of other contradictions, I was merely focusing on yours, my friend...:)

I'm not sure how I feel about mandating these things for purchase. I don't think I support it, really, but sometimes I think you have to go a little further than some feel comfortable in areas that some would never change for the greater good. Kind of like addressing our oil consumption issues, using a lot more as a country than anyone else in the world - by far, then complaining about the price of it. Sometimes you need to try to change behavior. But I do see some inherent problems with these things, and I don't really like the performance or the size of them at this point. They may in fact last longer, but I know I've used 3 or 4 outside on my house in in my garage, and none of them lasted as long as incandescents.

I was just kind of rattling your cage a little bit, GW. This is not an issue I feel that strongly about, either way. In this case, I just want YOU to be happy...:0074

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
I wasn't asking for a list of other contradictions, I was merely focusing on yours, my friend...:)

I'm not sure how I feel about mandating these things for purchase. I don't think I support it, really, but sometimes I think you have to go a little further than some feel comfortable in areas that some would never change for the greater good. Kind of like addressing our oil consumption issues, using a lot more as a country than anyone else in the world - by far, then complaining about the price of it. Sometimes you need to try to change behavior. But I do see some inherent problems with these things, and I don't really like the performance or the size of them at this point. They may in fact last longer, but I know I've used 3 or 4 outside on my house in in my garage, and none of them lasted as long as incandescents.

I was just kind of rattling your cage a little bit, GW. This is not an issue I feel that strongly about, either way. In this case, I just want YOU to be happy...:0074

this is why i try and stay out of political these days...i didn`t start the thread with the intent of getting into a political discussion

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
No, perhaps you didn't, and I don't care to press, no big deal to me. I guess I just saw some of the links and references in them, for instance the link to: globalclimatescam.com, and the references to Gore et al in the other one. You brought up the Mercury poisoning in landfills, etc. Not political, I suppose, just a couple of linked jabs.

At any rate, I plan to read that second article, some food for thought there that's worth looking at I think. Looks like some scary stuff.

Dead Money

Forum Member
Sep 15, 2005
Upstairs watching sports on the big TV.
Get em at estate sales, garage sales

Get em at estate sales, garage sales

good old lightbulbs..hard to beat..fuk these new POS's, not enuff lumens being spat out

I get em for a quarter apiece..

Scored some hard to find 150 Watters for the garage last week..

"When you get older, the price of entertainment drops considerably."

Bet on MyBookie