Anybody else thinking

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

shbtopdog

Forum Member
Sep 9, 2006
that there is just too much value given to these lower seeds than in past years? It seems to me that the whole March Madness hype has given the tournament its identity as an underdog overachieving, anybody can win attitude with every game. (Great for ratings)
In recent years we have seen a lot of underdog stories, but the lines seem to reflect this more and more every year. #1 and #2 seeds in the 1st round games used to produce spreads in the upper 20's and 30's and now you see maybe 3 games with posted #'s that may reach the 20's. Its common to see a #3, 4, or 5 seeds laying 3 and 4 points now a days. These are the teams consistently in the top 20 from the power conferences playing teams who rarely sniff the top 25 polls.
I understand that there is more parity than ever but to me the dogs just arent what dogs used to be. In many cases if you bet the dog you pretty much need to win outright, I think about 15 of the 1st round games have lines of 4 or less.
The great games and upsets and close calls that everyone remembers like Iowa st getting bounced, or bucknell taking kansas to the wire, Valpos run,if you take a look back at those spreads, these were big dogs, in todays tournament these teams are expected to play well and win.
Anyways sorry about the ramble, but
I have a feeling overall the favorites will be doing well in the 1st round today and tomorrow, especially the battle tested power conference type teams laying marginal #'s.
Any thoughts appreciated and good luck, no matter what its the best gambling time of the year!
:00hour

#cruncher

Forum Member
Jul 26, 1999
New Orleans
It sounds like youre talking yourself into passing on the points and playing a dog on the ML. Reminds me of one of the gambling rules.

Rule #17

Dont bet on an underdog if you dont think they have a chance to win the game outright.

Damn good rule, but it may apply more to foots than hoops, but I'll admit I don't know hoops that well.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Berty5446

Registered
Forum Member
Feb 26, 2013
I think there is a smaller gap of talent between some of the midmajor schools and bigger conference schools in general this year. It is kinda similar to the nhl of late, where one team can get hot at the right time and make a run. 2examples of this show today in the marquette and arizona lines. 2 teams that have been ranked for most of the year (although the ranking system is flawed imo), open up with short lines against smaller conference teams. There will be a mixture of blowouts and upsets the first round so my advice is if you really like a dog, play the ml for 25-50% of what u play the line to make a su win taste a little sweeter.

shbtopdog

Forum Member
Sep 9, 2006
Maybe so Bender but I think people dont want to be perceived betting like a square in these tournaments because the dogs are supposed to be barking.
I personally think Butler, Pitt, Marquette, Arizona will play well today. Like I was saying 10 years ago the #'s would be double what we see today, there is just so much attention put on the mid majors and dogs in general. So I guess I'm a square with these plays today, we'll see.
One other one I question is Michigan laying 11. At one point they were the #1 ranked team in the land, and here they are today in a virtual home game only giving 11. Lotts of love to any team who could be the next George Mason.
Good luck with your games

elmer fudd

Forum Member
Jun 6, 2010
U.S.A.
Maybe so Bender but I think people dont want to be perceived betting like a square in these tournaments because the dogs are supposed to be barking.
I personally think Butler, Pitt, Marquette, Arizona will play well today. Like I was saying 10 years ago the #'s would be double what we see today, there is just so much attention put on the mid majors and dogs in general. So I guess I'm a square with these plays today, we'll see.
One other one I question is Michigan laying 11. At one point they were the #1 ranked team in the land, and here they are today in a virtual home game only giving 11. Lotts of love to any team who could be the next George Mason.
Good luck with your games

like your write up..bol2day:00hour

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

shbtopdog

Forum Member
Sep 9, 2006
Thanks Fudd
For the record, which I don't keep, with the exception to know what to pay/collect from the man these were my plays today
550 each
Pitt-4
Valpo +11
Marq-3.5
Over marq 133.5
Over zags 127.5
Over 122 St. Louis
875/750 butler ML
Over 138.5 Memphis
Heres hoping to start strong
:toast: