Anybody giving Banks a shot?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Romi

Forum Member
Apr 6, 2007
I've only seen him once or twice and the 1st time he had to pick himself up from the canvas early to come back and stop castillo. I don't have a clear take on Banks' style but that kind of defense gets him stopped against the likes of Adamak. However, he has pretty good size and pop and IF he can back up the Pole and get his respect, he has a shot. Manny Steward knows the Eastrn Euro style well and one has to think he'll have a smart gameplan going in. To beat the Eastern Euros, you need to back them up. If you give them the range, you get eaten alive and they look like a million bucks..ie Golata, Wlad, Tszyu, Kid Diamond. Adamak can be hurt and has been in a few fights. +465 is tempting me.

Ghost Kid

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 23, 2008
I will probably bet small on Banks.

My reasoning is this:

I saw Banks in his last fight and he was atrocious. He barely beat some Italian scrub (same cat Haye destroyed - Vincenzo Rossitto). Banks faded late and was extremely lucky he didn't get stopped. He won a MD.

I made a mental note to bet against Banks the next time. When the fight was scheduled between Banks and Maccarinelli, I was going to be all over Enzo. The odds were great (I think Enzo was -250), but alas, the fight was cancelled.

Now we have Adamek being really over-priced here because he was in an incredible TV fight with Cunningham. Adamek is AMAZINGLY tough and should clearly be the favorite here. But as gutty as he is, he was REALLY hurt by Cunningham (badly in the 4th). And this is a fairly quick turnaround from a hellacious battle. He fought Cunningham on 12/11.

When I look at this fight, I don't see value in Adamek. I ask myself, am I POSITIVE that Adamek will win? Can I use him in a parlay for the weekend? I'm just not sure.

Banks has terrible stamina and can be outboxed. But he has a MUCH bigger punch than Cunningham. And Adamek can be hurt. and probably will be hurt and some point in this fight.

Adamek will probably win this fight by decision or late stoppage. But, at the current posted odds, I am considering a play on Jonathan Banks. KO prop could be a consideration as well.

Mind you, Adamek may come in and dust him. Adamek has better skills, a better chin, and decent pop himself. My small play on Banks would be due to the odds, Banks KO power, and the quick turnaround for Adamek.

Good luck.

Ghost Kid

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 23, 2008
Interview from fightnews with Emmanuel Steward:

Tomasz Adamek-Jonathan Banks (Steward?s fighter), what are your thoughts on that?

?I think it?s going to be an exciting fight. Adamek, as we know, is a rough, tough exciting fighter. Banks is a guy that fights up to his competition. With Eliecer Castillo, he was a big favorite; he was good in that fight. But Banks can punch. Even though Adamek is a tough, aggressive, guy?he?s (Adamek) got to be the favorite. But still when you have a puncher in there you?ll be surprised. I think Banks is a better puncher than Cunningham. And so I think it?s going to be an exciting fight. Banks knows he can?t try to box and run for 12 rounds so he?s not going to do it.?

What did you think of Adamek?s fight with Cunningham?

?Great, exciting fight. Cunningham doesn?t punch as hard as Banks but he?s a good boxer. But I think Adamek is on a role, mentally and everything. Unbelievable chin and strong ass damn determination fighting in front of his home crowd and everything. So he?s going to come in ready to fight. It?s going to be a rough, tough fight for Banks.?

Seems like Steward knows Adamek is a very tough match-up for Banks. But he notes that Banks punches harder than Cunningham. He should have this kid go for broke in the early rounds.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

tonymontana

Forum Member
Sep 27, 2005
He has a shot. I like Adamek but he is there to be hit but he can take a shot. And he takes alot.
He is not your typical standup fighter, he is a brawler boxer. He has a got eye for countershot and likes it when guys come straight at him, he is not afraid to punch into his opponents punches.
He knocked out Ulrich with one right hand perfectly timed.
He is not the fasters guy in the world though and at cruiser weight one punch is all it takes.
Banks has a punchers chance and also a chance to win on the cards maybe with a little help from the judges.
certainly worth a 100 bucks.
I believe Adamek will probably win inside but Banks has shot.
I am not to high on steward as a trainer though.

weepaul

Forum Member
Sep 28, 2007
I will be all over Banks for this fight.

Adamek was outclassed by Dawson who was moving up in weight from Super Middle.

He was hurt by Cunningham who is a non-puncher.

He was in life and death struggles, decked and messed up by the smaller Paul Briggs.

I think Banks has a great chance in this fight.

:toast: :toast: :toast:

Zerwas

Forum Member
Jul 19, 2007
I'm with you!

IMO the line on Adamek is inflated, Adamek won a very tough fight against Cunningham, whereas Banks struggled against Rossito.

So naturally hes got to be the favorite, but IMO Rossito is really a bit underrated, he only lost a razor thin decision against current champ Fragomeni and Cunningham,...well, maybe the Huck fight has taken something out of him, I was certainly shocked to see him get dropped so often by Adamek.

Adamek certainly can be hit and Banks is a very good puncher.

And, as has already been mentionned, Adamek is coming of a very tough fight and he has been in some tough battles (against Briggs)....

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Kramden

Forum Member
Apr 8, 2008
Banks has value. He was a US amateur star, he's tall and can crack. He didn't look good last time out but he should be in better form next week. Adamek beat Cunningham because he dropped him so many times but Cunningham closed better and Adamek was gassed at the end. Banks might need a KO though because they are fighting in Adamek's adopted area in North Jersey.

Fightwriter

Forum Member
Mar 9, 2008
I think the key here is how Adamek fights. If he gets into a slugging type of fight with Banks he could be in trouble. Adamek can box very cleverly, though. Luis Pineda hardly laid a glove on him, and Adamek had O'Neill Bell missing all night and looking bamboozled and discouraged. If Adamek uses a boxing, moving style he might know too much for Banks. I discount the loss to Dawson to some extent because we now know that Adamek was pretty much dead at the weight, but he still knocked Dawson down. This fight is coming very quickly after the tough fight with Cunningham, though, and Adamek, as Kramden noted, was just about done in when the final bell sounded. Still, old-time fighters often had back-to-back tough fights in a short space of time, and there is an old-school look to Adamek. Fighting Adamek in Newark is going to be like fighting him in Poland, of course, with the enormous crowd support. Still a few days to go, but there are a lot of things to consider here. I am still mulling it over.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
i think adamek is a very good fighter...well rounded,nice boxer puncher with some grit.... imo,losing to dawson is no disgrace...and he`s been in with top drawer fighters...beaten some very good fighters...

dawson,imo,should be showing up on top 10 pfp lists if he continues to look as good as he has....

still,ibanks ,who really hasn`t been in that deep,isn`t getting much respect here...

those odds are pretty steep....

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Ghost Kid

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 23, 2008
IBF cruiserweight champion Tomasz Adamek (36-1, 24 KOs) and unbeaten IBF #8 challenger Johnathon Banks (20-0, 14 KOs) worked out today at the C.O.M.B.A.T. Gym in Newark, NJ. Adamek and Banks collide Friday night live on SHOWTIME at 11 p.m. ET/PT from The Prudential Center in Newark.

Here?s what they had to say?

Johnathon Banks: I?m a boxer, that?s what I do. The difference is, I can punch! Sparing with Wladimir (Klitschko) taught me how to deal with punches. I?m well equipped to win this fight. Look for an explosive fight. Most of all don?t blink!

Tomasz Adamek: After beating Cunningham I became number one. I feel I am the best. Although I won that fight and everyone liked it, it was rough on me because I would have liked the fight to have been sooner. I trained for six months (for Cunningham) because the fight was changed two times. This fight they will see a better Adamek because I will be more fresh and sharp. I will win!

Ghost Kid

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 23, 2008
Banks: "In Shape and Confident"

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=18606

SHOWTIME: What type of fight do you expect Friday?

STEWARD: ?Anytime you fight a guy like Adamek it?s going to be a tough fight. He?s got everyone behind him. It?s really an Adamek show and it will stay that way until the bell rings but then we?ll take over and it will become a Banks? show then. But up until then it?s all about Adamek and he deserves that. He?s a great fighter with a great personality. We expect a tough and aggressive fight.?

In the 12-round ShoBox co-feature, Giovanni Lorenzo (26-1, 18 KOs), of New York City will be opposed by Dionisio Miranda (19-3-2, 17 KO?s) of Barranquilla, Colombia, in an IBF middleweight elimination bout.

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg