Anyone from Raleigh, NC?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

TheShrimp

Forum Member
Jan 15, 2002
I'll be in town this saturday and I'm looking for a good place to watch "The Winston" on saturday night.

No chains or anything. Just a regular laid back place where I can get burger/beer/whiskey.

We're staying near the Crabtree Mall so I'm looking for a place that's probably a reasonable walk/cab ride from the bar.

I suppose a sports bar would do, but I'd rather find a place that isn't a sports bar that will have the race on.

Thanks for any tips.

Turfgrass

Forum Member
Sep 26, 2002
Raleigh
Give me a little bit more of what you're looking for and I'll find the place for you. Not too far, but I don't think there is too much in "Walking" distance either.

If I wasn't going to the Winston I'd take you out for a beer myself.

Where are you staying?

TheShrimp

Forum Member
Jan 15, 2002
4329 Glenwood.

It's a motel 6 or holiday inn or some such thing.

i'm really looking for a good local joint -- where people will be watching the race/drinking/having a good time. Just a regular old bar -- sometimes those are the hardest to find.

The wife won't be with me at night so it doesn't need to be clean or have a ladies room or be smoke free or anything.

Not a chain. Not a "college bar", but that's not too bad if its not one that's filled with kiddies getting slammed on $.25 drafts.

Basically, there's a place in Baltimore called "Racers" where they always show races, have nascar stuff up in the place, let you throw peanuts all over and its just a normal local bar with people drinking and eating. That's what I'm looking for. I expect most bars down there to be pretty friendly, and madjack's persona aside, I'm not actually that antagonistic. . .

Sports bar is fine too if that's all there is. At least they'll have good TV's.

We're in town for "Artsplosure" a craft festival downtown. seriously, if you're in the area (or any other Ral-ites), look for a jeweler named "Hilary H-----" from B-more, selling silver and gold jewelry. I'm usually around her booth if not out getting food or sightseeing or things of that nature.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Turfgrass

Forum Member
Sep 26, 2002
Raleigh
Here is a good bar with 20 some TV's with good food: Blinco's

5009 Falls Of the Neuse

If you're looking for THE race crowd: Tailgaters sports bar

2645 E. Millbrook Rd

Lastly is a brand new place that I have been to watch a few NC State Games: Chuck'um

I don't know the address but it's off Capital Blvd. It has the nice plasma screen TV's.

I'll ask around for more, it's a start.

TheShrimp

Forum Member
Jan 15, 2002
Know any of these places?

From the looks of it, a place like "Playmakers" would be a little too "sportsy" for me.

What's with all these "private clubs" with the $1 memberships? Is that some way to get around drinking laws or something?

TheShrimp

Forum Member
Jan 15, 2002
Thanks. I didn't see your reply till I posted.

That "tailgaters" looks like maybe what I'm lookign for.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Turfgrass

Forum Member
Sep 26, 2002
Raleigh
"Playmakers" is right across from Meredith Collage. Granted Meredith is an ALL GIRLS school. You might want to take your chances. It's big with lots of screens, just don't think it would be what you're looking for.

The Army of Darkness

Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
NC
I agree with Turfgrass. Those are the places I would say are your best bet. Playmakers is good, but not really sure if that is a good race place. It is good for football and basketball games, never really been there for a race. Also those other places are probably closer to where you will be staying, but they will not be walking distance.
I am trying to think of a place on Glenwood, if I think of one will let you know.
Hope you have a good time. :D

ajoytoy

carpe vitam
Forum Member
Mar 30, 2003
(919)
Hi-5 is a new sports bar on Glenwood going towards downtown...they have a bunch of TV's and 5 Plasma's

HOT wait staff...more high end, but worth the price...

not positive that they will have racing on, but i have talked to the MGR before and gotten different games on one of the TV's

have a great time in Raleigh...

toy

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ajoytoy

carpe vitam
Forum Member
Mar 30, 2003
(919)
Blincos has great wings!!

skybox is new....not a bad place...great angus burger...was there last night watching the sixers game

both places have lots of TV...so i am sure you could get the race there

toy

TheShrimp

Forum Member
Jan 15, 2002
Thanks people.

Know anything about these places...

SILVER DOLLAR SALOON Private club

ATMOSPHERE:
This neighborhood bar features the usual pool tables, dart boards, TV screens and jukebox, but goes a step further for sports fans, hosting covered-dish suppers for members on Sundays during NASCAR season followed by a beach music DJ from 6 to 9 p.m. Live rock 'n' roll cover bands every other Saturday; beach music bands on Fridays (with the covered-dish supper). Crowd: A diverse group of hard-core NASCAR and college sports fans, couples and singles, most of which are over age 25. Membership: $5 per year. Source: triangle.com

7428 Capitol Blvd.
Raleigh NC
(919) 876-9434

I don't know what the deal with this "Private Club" stuff is, but a lot of the descriptions at that web site I listed say that.

I'm going to give them a call and find out the deal on this "covered dish" and if they'll have the race on Saturday Night. Might be too fancy, though.

Here's what they said about Tailgaters (they got that "private" thing again). . .

From the sounds of it, it's much more of a local joint -- maybe what I'm looking for.

TAILGATERS SPORTS BAR Private sports bar

ATMOSPHERE:
A traditional sports bar with pool, darts and large TV screens. Live rock 'n' roll cover bands on Fridays; karaoke on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Crowd: Primarily working people, 21 to 80. Membership: $5 year. Source: triangle.com

2645 B E. Millbrook Rd.
Raleigh NC
(919) 872-2827

Maybe they'll have NASCAR and Karaoke on saturday. I've got a pretty good version of "Guitar Town" worked out. ;)

Anyway, thanks for the tips. Maybe if something is near the show or I see it, I'll just check it out.

If you come by the show, check out the booth and introduce yourself.

loophole

Forum Member
Jul 14, 1999
nc
shrimp, the "private club" designation you keep seeing is a gimmick to comply with nc liquor laws. in nc, you cannot just open a private bar that serves liquor by the drink. in order to serve cocktails, you must either deive more than 50% of your gross sales from food, or be a "private club" not open to the general public, hence the membership fee. there's a waiting period of a few days also, but fear not, as the usual remedy is to have a member sign you in as a guest.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

TheShrimp

Forum Member
Jan 15, 2002
Raleigh recap

Raleigh recap

The abridged version.

Left b-mo about 5:30 friday. Our mapquest had us getting off 85 at 70 in durham (since that's glenwood), not 1. That's all construction and I got totally lost about 11:30 at night. the detour signs just disappeared at one point. I finally got on a big road heading east that I just figured was 70. I didn't see a sign for about 5 miles but it was 70.

I think people LIVED at our hotel.

The show really sucked. Wife's jewelry is mostly "high-end" stuff and we got a lot of raised eye-brows that you don't see in NYC. She had higher hopes since she did pretty well at a show in Cary last year. I don't know what people in Raleigh expect to pay for hand made one-of-a-kind solid gold earrings with diamonds set in them but I guess $550 ain't it.

But it was fun. We were set up right in front of "Peche De Chocolat". A high-end chocolate shop with a real funny owner. We got kind of buddy-buddy with him and at one point he even had us watch the store for him while he went in the back to, as he put it, "use the bathroom and pray to mecca". Honestly. He was a muslim from Jordan (who didn't like Saddam at all). Nice shop if you're ever looking for a gift.

Also, I got a haircut right next door at a place that could have been where "barbershop" was filmed. Got a decent haitcut but I don't think they cut too many "honky's" hair there.

Went to tailgaters about 7:30 sat. and saw the Winston Open. No one was there. Got a BBQ sandwich and beer and headed back to the hotel (wifey was tired). Well, the hotel had no F/X so no race, so I left the wife there and went to find a bar. Found the "lone star saloon" right across the road which was a totally lame bar but it was close by and had a big TV right behind the bar with the race on. So I stayed there, swilled some Budweiser, and watched the race and chatted with a couple other guys at the bar.

Maybe I went to the wrong places but so many of the bars were located in little strip malls (like tailgaters and lone star). I thought I'd find Raleigh more "down home" but, for instance, Glenwood was all Applebees, Chilis, Bojangles leading into the city. Not much local color. I got some sandwiches at Cooper's in the city which were pretty good.

So, we had a good time, though we didn't make much money. I was expecting a little more honky-tonk than I saw. The race was decent. I wish I had a 'net connection because I was going to Piggyback Humpy on this one and go with Jimmie Johnson.

It was also cold and drizzly. Unseasonably cold according to the news guys.

No complaints, but no raves either.