Are the Tigers done?

Rosey

Forum Member
Jul 1, 2001
Chicago
Hey fellas. Big fan of this site and have been for years. Need some advice...

I said going into the playoffs that DET had a shot to win the entire enchilada. I played 'em in Game 5 in the Bronx. Faded Verlander in G1 at Texas off the big win and stayed out of the action in Game 2 actually hoping they'd return home down 0-2.

Well, with Nelly's GS, that's exactly what occurred, and because of it, there's some enormous value on them to not only win this series, but also the WS. Each of the next 3 will go at Comerica. JV will go in at least one. My $$$'s already on Fister to snag the G3 win tonight, and with the way its currently set up, he'll also get the G7 start if and when it gets that far. I'm just not a believer in this Texas outfit; especially on the road and think it's nothing more than a coin flip if the Tigers head back to Arlington up 3-2 or down 2-3.

Am I crazy to even entertain this? :drinky:

Would love some input from as many of you that offer it up - Much thx!

Smitty

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Upstate NY
rosey, here's my take on it, keeping in mind that i played texas for the series. the reason i made that play is because the team that's knocked out the yankees the last 3 or 4 times the yankees have been knocked out of the playoffs lost the next round. besides that, i had two reasons for playing the rangers this series, and they are both based on the fact that the tigers beat the yankees.
1) right now the yankees are a very poor playoff team. their biggest bats can't handle the pressure of new york (along with their number one pitcher), and overall their starting pitching is not very good. obviously they have the talent to keep making the playoffs, but that's about as far as they'll go. however, most people haven't realized this yet, so there is an inevitable overreaction - 'wow, the (whoever beat the yankees) are pretty good.' that leads to that team being overvalued going into the next round of the playoffs.
2) the players have to be on a huge high after knocking out the yankees, especially if the clincher comes in new york. they have to feel like they already won the world series, and it's gotta be difficult to get as "up" for the next opponent.

now, maybe i'm overanalyzing the whole situation (wouldn't be the first time), but i truly believe it's not a coincidence that the last 3 or 4 teams to knock the yankees out of the playoffs then lost their next round.

also, the way they lost the game last night - that had to be a severe blow to their confidence. if they fall behind early tonight, i think they'll start pressing. the wheels could come off quickly. there will be a lot of pressure on the tigers to get a win at home tonight.

that's just my 2?, but i'd be very surprised if the tigers come back to win this series. well, not THAT surprised, since i have a fairly large wager (for me) on the rangers to win it.

NBA_Kid

Razor
Forum Member
Oct 9, 2006
New York
Hey fellas. Big fan of this site and have been for years. Need some advice...

I said going into the playoffs that DET had a shot to win the entire enchilada. I played 'em in Game 5 in the Bronx. Faded Verlander in G1 at Texas off the big win and stayed out of the action in Game 2 actually hoping they'd return home down 0-2.

Well, with Nelly's GS, that's exactly what occurred, and because of it, there's some enormous value on them to not only win this series, but also the WS. Each of the next 3 will go at Comerica. JV will go in at least one. My $$$'s already on Fister to snag the G3 win tonight, and with the way its currently set up, he'll also get the G7 start if and when it gets that far. I'm just not a believer in this Texas outfit; especially on the road and think it's nothing more than a coin flip if the Tigers head back to Arlington up 3-2 or down 2-3.

Am I crazy to even entertain this? :drinky:

Would love some input from as many of you that offer it up - Much thx!

Yep,stick the fork in them.

Rosey

Forum Member
Jul 1, 2001
Chicago
Appreciate the input fellas!

Very good insight with your #1 & #2 topics Smitty. I 100% took both into account as well playing TEX G1 and sitting out G2 to see what happened. If any manager can help his team turn the page after a loss like G2, it's Leyland. On the flipside, I'm not entirely sure Washington can continue to get the best from his troops knowing full well they already got 2 in the bag and are headed back home no matter what.

This series has switched venue and is now a best of five for DET. Though they're banged up and severely taxed in the pen, the city is at a fever pitch right now and I'm a huge proponent of riding those types of waves. Sure, it could all come crashing down, but sometimes, it's a smooth sail right back to the beach.

Tonight is absolutely huge, as a win in G3 is a must to have any shot of cashing DET +450 for the series as well as +950 in the WS. Regardless, I'm throwing caution to the wind and going with what my gut's telling me to get the most bang for my buck. Too solid of a return to miss out on, and if I don't and it comes to fruition, it will be incredibly tough to swallow...

Last edited:

Livin'tillthEnd

Forum Member
Nov 7, 2008
Dallas
Appreciate the input fellas!

Very good insight with your #1 & #2 topics Smitty. I 100% took both into account as well playing TEX G1 and sitting out G2 to see what happened. If any manager can help his team turn the page after a loss like G2, it's Leyland. On the flipside, I'm not entirely sure Washington can continue to get the best from his troops knowing full well they already got 2 in the bag and are headed back home no matter what.

This series has switched venue and is now a best of five for DET. Though they're banged up and severely taxed in the pen, the city is at a fever pitch right now and I'm a huge proponent of riding those types of waves. Sure, it could all come crashing down, but sometimes, it's a smooth sail right back to the beach.

Tonight is absolutely huge, as a win in G3 is a must to have any shot of cashing DET +450 for the series as well as +950 in the WS. Regardless, I'm throwing caution to the wind and going with what my gut's telling me to get the most bang for my buck. Too solid of a return to miss out on, and if I don't and it comes to fruition, it will be incredibly tough to swallow...

NO WAY TEX LOSES the series, I will say it only because they are that good and most of America doesn't know it. Their pitching is ridiculous. Everyone has the notion they are just mashers. This isn't the '96 Rangers. They had 19 shutouts this season, 2 less than league leader Philadelphia. Their middle relief is hasn't given up a run this series in 12.1 innings. The reason they will win is the secret weapon "pitching." Nolan Ryan changed the philosophy and mentality of the pitchers 2 years ago. Throw in the fact these guys loving playing for Wash and having been so close last year, its catching the tigers by their tail :0008

Rosey

Forum Member
Jul 1, 2001
Chicago
NO WAY TEX LOSES the series, I will say it only because they are that good and most of America doesn't know it. Their pitching is ridiculous. Everyone has the notion they are just mashers. This isn't the '96 Rangers. They had 19 shutouts this season, 2 less than league leader Philadelphia. Their middle relief is hasn't given up a run this series in 12.1 innings. The reason they will win is the secret weapon "pitching." Nolan Ryan changed the philosophy and mentality of the pitchers 2 years ago. Throw in the fact these guys loving playing for Wash and having been so close last year, its catching the tigers by their tail :0008

Hey Livin', well aware of the fantastic job Ryan and his crew have done from the ground up. Also a big fan of this club; actually made a road trip down to Arlington this summer to catch a game - I'm in Chicago. They walked off in the 9th against the Blue jays; pretty sweet!

Still, Detroit was my pick in the AL b4 the postseason. As good as Texas has been, it just feels different to me this season. I can't put my finger on it since they excel in just about every area, but it was present enough for me to take a stab at this scenario actually occurring.

Rosey

Forum Member
Jul 1, 2001
Chicago
Alright, that's one in the bag! :toast:

Fister's a stud! Happy to see Miggy's bat awaken, but sure hope V-Mart's good to go the remainder of the series. Would certainly put a damper on things if he wasn't able to. Regardless, bought into a Detroit comeback at what I believe will be the juiciest odds the remainder of the series.

Now let's tie this puppy up tomorrow night!

Livin'tillthEnd

Forum Member
Nov 7, 2008
Dallas
Hey Livin', well aware of the fantastic job Ryan and his crew have done from the ground up. Also a big fan of this club; actually made a road trip down to Arlington this summer to catch a game - I'm in Chicago. They walked off in the 9th against the Blue jays; pretty sweet!

Still, Detroit was my pick in the AL b4 the postseason. As good as Texas has been, it just feels different to me this season. I can't put my finger on it since they excel in just about every area, but it was present enough for me to take a stab at this scenario actually occurring.

You are one of the few that know then. Ha. Big game tonight, looking forward to it! Welcome back to madjacks:toast:

Rosey

Forum Member
Jul 1, 2001
Chicago
Not sure if this can be posted here or not. If the latter, let me know n I'll remove immediately if you don't first...

My take on Game 4 :0corn

Last edited:

Rosey

Forum Member
Jul 1, 2001
Chicago
What a kick in the nuts the top of the 11th was! Leyalnd's move to pich Valverde another inning wreaked of desperation, and the Tigers grossly showed how few bullets they have up and down that line-up right now. :facepalm:

Oh well, the daydreaming of the ultimate comeback looks to have come to an end. Still, it was great entertainment and fun while it lasted though VERY short-lived. Even if JV goes 9 to win G5, I don't see DET sweeping the final two games in Arlington. I can't say I'd be upset if they did though...

Rosey

Forum Member
Jul 1, 2001
Chicago
Here's my Game 5 take. Mind you it was written just moments after Game 4 concluded by a guy holding DET series & WS futures bets along with a series parlay of DET/STL. Might be wishful thinking, but JV should be up to the task of sending this back to Tejas...

Justin Verlander will take to the bump in Game 5 of the ALCS on Thursday, October 13th looking to keep the Detroit Tigers ( 99-72) MLB playoff odds season alive as they face elimination after once again falling in extra innings to the Texas Rangers (102-68); first pitch from Comerica Park is set to go live on FOX at 4:15 ET.

MLB Betting Lines
Texas Rangers +140 (Wilson)
Detroit Tigers -160 (Verlander)
Over/Under 7 over -120

It was d?j? vu all over again for the defending American League champs who ripped the hearts right out of the chests of those in attendance at Comerica Park by scoring yet another 7-3 win in extra innings on Wednesday night. If you go back to Game 2 of this series, it was Nelson Cruz who launched a grand slam into the night to give the Rangers a commanding 2-0 lead with the series headed to Detroit. After Mike Napoli fisted a single to knock in Josh Hamilton and give the Rangers a 4-3 lead in the top of the 11th, Cruz added insult to injury by taking Jose Valverde out to left field to give the Rangers a 7-3 lead that ultimately turned out to be the final score. Texas has now won three of its four MLB playoff betting odds match-ups on the road.

C.J. Wilson gets the starting nod in Game 5 for manager Ron Washington?s troops. He last threw in Game 1 against Verlander in that rain delayed slop fest otherwise known as Game 1. He was hardly effective giving up six hits and two ERs while walking five and striking out six. The lefty hasn?t been himself in the postseason, as he was rocked in his Game 1 start in the ALDS vs. Tampa Bay as well. He has however been at his best away from Arlington where he?s 8-5 with a 2.31 ERA & .219 BAA in 18 overall starts.

Detroit got out to a fast start on Wednesday night, but when it was all said and done, it was truly evident just how hampered manager Jimmy Leyland?s squad is due to all the injuries incurred. The offense simply has no pop and managed just five overall hits while leaving 10 men on base. With his bullpen lacking bullets to load up the clip, Leyland desperately looked to both Joaquin Benoit and Jose Valverde to keep his team in it against Game 4?s closing MLB playoff odds. It worked with Benoit, but Texas? big bats treated ?Papa Grande? very unkindly.

The 2011 Cy Young Award will more than likely be issued to Justin Verlander who will take to the bump for the 38th time this afternoon in hopes of sending the series back to Texas. The righty has put forth an effort for the ages in 2011 going 24-5 with a 2.40 ERA and .192 BAA. He?s struck out 250 batters while only walking 57 making the opposition earn whatever they get off him all season long. Detroit?s won 12 of his 17 home starts, but Texas has actually beaten him twice this season.

MLB Playoff Odds Prediction ? Game 3 will not be three in a row. Of his three postseason starts, he?s only managed to throw a total of 13 innings with two games getting stopped by rain. In the other, he tossed eight innings of ball at home against the Yankees limiting New York to just six hits and four ERs while striking out 11. He?ll be ready to go in this one and will more than likely go the full nine with his pen needing the extra rest. It?s been a great season for the Tigers but it won?t end today against a Texas team whose Game 4 win was only the 5th time in 22 tries it won in today?s venue.

Last edited:

Rosey

Forum Member
Jul 1, 2001
Chicago
Was waiting for a thumbs up or thumbs down on posting these by admin. Actually scrolled past and didn't look up above. Sorry about that. Where am I to post these in the future?

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
Just make the posts here at madjacks instead of linking to another site, thanks.

Bet on MyBookie