Argentina v Nigeria, Sun 2 June, 6.30am BST

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Going to play the Over 2.5 @ 1.80 with Bet365 for 1.5 Units.

Nigeria have scored a goal in each of their eight previous matches at World Cups. Argentina have made a commitent to attacking football is this WC and with difficult games against Sweden/England to follow will be looking for a fast start. Nigeria have been overshadowed by Senegal and Cameroon in recent yrs and lack the discipline in defense to mount a serious challenge in the competition. They do though have quality and pace going forward and should be expected to continue their scoring run. I just wish this game wasn't on so early on a Sunday morning :rolleyes:.

I was also interested to know how the World Cup was being received/perceived (in general) by the American/Canadian public. I guess both are regarded as non-footballing nations and are quite insular in your sporting tastes but surely an event of this magnitude would stir some interest? I think the times of games in North America must be a killer also.

Hoops

Forum Member
Aug 10, 1999
Monarch- I think your last comment is the problem. I'm sure it would get more exposure but when you have a time-frame for 3 games of 2:30am-9:30am on the east coast, it's not what I would call ideal viewing times. I tried to watch the entire Ireland/Cameroon match but fell asleep in the second half.

I would have to assume with the internet gambling boom, that more Americans (such as myself) who aren't familiar with international soccer are trying to learn a bit and wager on the games, thus creating a larger interest once money is riding on a game.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Flipper13, the odds in US terms are -125. In England we primarily work with fractions/decimals - hence 1.80 for the Over 2.5.

thisisbad

Call me TIB
Forum Member
Jun 14, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
Just to echo Hoops real quick, these times for the games is killer.

I actually love soccer, and would be interested in the games without wagering (although it does add some spice), but trying to be up at 3 in the morning to watch two nations that i have no real interest in.....that's not really worth the time.

I'm not blaming the networks or anything like that, i understand. I just wish it could be better.

BobbyBlueChip

Trustee
Forum Member
Dec 27, 2000
Belly of the Beast
I don't watch the MSL (the US league) games on TV because its not that interesting, but I've always loved the World Cup due to the magnitude and the different styles of play.

Most people couldn't care less, but for those who do, it's passionate. As Mexico, Nigeria, Poland, and Ireland all have immigrant communities in Chicago and are in the World Cup, I would think that there are going to be some tired people around the city this month.

I got my interest in Soccer when I lived in England when I was 6 for a year. I loved Kevin Keagan and Liverpool as much as I loved Roger Staubach and the Cowboys when I got back. You get the love of the game when you are young and the Americans just don't have that much exposure to this game at a young age.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg