Athlon Sport's Top 25

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Devil Dog

Forum Member
Feb 1, 2004
Springfield, Ohio
This is Athon Sport's top 25 [not mine].
1. USC
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Miami
5.West Virginia
6.Texas
7. Michigan
8. LSU
9. Florida St.
10. Ohio State
11. Missouri
12. Kansas ST.
13. Clemson
14.California
15. Florida
16. Utah
17. Iowa
18. Tennessee
19. Auburn
20. Maryland
21. Wisconsin
22. Oregon St.
23. Nebraska
24. Minnesota
25. Virginia
What do you think?
Best Wishes
Devil Dog

Last edited:

wareagle

World Traveler
Forum Member
Feb 27, 2001
MEMPHIS, TN
www.dunavant.com
i will tell you what i think after i do some research...what i can tell you now is this athlon year after year is terrible... West Va #5 LOL

the only truth is that the sec has 6 in his top 25 and the pac 38 has 3:D

mansa_musa

Forum Member
Mar 11, 2001
Las Vegas, NV USA
Actually only 5 SEC teams. Florida is listed 9 & 15, I suspect one of those should be FSU.

5 teams from ACC, Big 12 & Big 10 -- no advantage for the SEC. Seems like the person who compiled this Top 25 didnt really feel like researching the strengths of the teams & just took name recognition as the main criteria for entry. 4 conf comprise 80% of the entire poll. Nebraska w a new coach & no QB, gets a customary ranking! What a joke!

Remember, Auburn was highly ranked in the preseason last yr???? 2 weeks (& 2 losses) into the season w no TD's -- & they were still ranked in the top 25! I also remember wareagle tooting their horn rather loudly, prior to their home shutout loss to a Pac 10 weakling.

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

wareagle

World Traveler
Forum Member
Feb 27, 2001
MEMPHIS, TN
www.dunavant.com
Mansa you are absolutely right! I was tooting our horn much like scotty my boy is doing this year. You are putting words in my mouth when you say pac 10 weakling...We all knew USC was going to be good, we just didnt know about Leinhart. I will be the first to tell you that preseason rankings suck and are inacurate. Hell we were not even a top 25 team at last years end and we were preseason between 1-6. Just proves that nobody knows shit until the the games are played.

fletcher

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 21, 2000
henderson,nv.
Laugh all you want War, this might be the best wvu team of all time , better then the 2 11-0 teams who lost ncaa championship game to ND and the 11-0 team who lost a share off the ncaa championship by losing to fl in sugar bowl mid 90's.

They go 2 and some spots 3 deep that can step in and play, very very good team speed and strong upfront, will or might lead the nation on the ground like they did 2 years ago, they will be able to strike fast and at anywhere on the field.

They will not give much on the ground and will be ok against the pass.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Scott4USC

Fight On!
Forum Member
Sep 11, 2002
Good post Fletcher. I really like that WV coach. He has turned that program around and has his players play hard. (#1 criteria IMO a head coach has to do) However their are 2 things I do not like about WV.

#1 Hate their defensive scheme. I am just not big fan of it and don't think it works well. Especially if you are going to play a big powerhouse. No way that defensive scheme would even contain a well balanced offense. (assuming they play a powerhouse with balanced offense)

#2 I dislike their QB. He makes poor decisions and is a hot and cold QB. Not a big fan of him. I am assuming he is returning next season unless they have new qb next year.