BAKER

Tlaw

Forum Member
Jan 7, 2001
brooklyn, new york
I admit I was too quick to call this game a fix. I didn't take into account that Dizzy Baker is an overated manager. Yes I know he has a winning record and he was manager of the year, but he won those awards because his team never gives up. I have watched him manage for years and I often have to question his moves. He was totally out managed by Bobby V. last year. Not to many managers can say that. How about game one playoff against the Mets last year, top 8th 5-1 and based full of Mets with 2 outs. I like Felix Rodriguez but Nen was his $ man having a spectacular year. Yes Felix got out of the inning, then Dizzy brings in Nen to start the 9th with a 4 run lead. If I go down I am losing with my top guy. Playoffs, and you can't use Nen for 4 outs? Tonight letting Estes hit and then starting Rodriguez in the top 8th was the worst move yet. The Giants won inspite of his poor managing. Don't let manager of the year awards fool you, I am a Yankee fan and I like Torre, but what did he win until he hooked up with the best team in baseball.

Never Caught Up

Forum Member
Apr 17, 2001
Tlaw,

You make some really interesting observations that for the most part I agree with. I think technology has taken over the game and some of the boneheaded moves we see managers make are actually determined before the games by computers.

I love technology and would be lost without my computer, but I haven't seen a computer yet that had a lick of horse sense.

That's what I like about the old time managers like Don Zimmer. When he was with the Cubs they didn't win any championships, but when it came to horse sense he had more of it than any other manager in baseball. Today he may be an assistant manager, but he still brings that horse sense to the table and good managers know how to find that balance between technology and old time insight that computers can't provide. That is why Popeye is still an important part of a winning team.

I do disagree with you on one thing and that is even the mention of the word fix in major league baseball. Perhaps I am just a purist, but I just don't believe baseball games are corrupt. Basketball . . . expecially at the college level . . . yes . . . but God help us if we can't still believe in the integrety of the sport that is as American as apple pie.

Thanks for your thoughts. They obviously made me do some thinking myself.

NCU

Bet on MyBookie