Baltimore Raven's direction

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

4bubba

Forum Member
Jun 10, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
The Ravens were given an A for their draft this year, but I do not agree.

Lately,
Baltimore Ravens
Updated: 6/2/2003

The Baltimore Sun reports that Kyle Boller is capable of starting this season, according to his coach. "He's got a strong arm, the athleticism and is very intelligent," coach Brian Billick said. Chris Redman is still considered the front-runner. (6/2) ... The Sun reports that Terrell Suggs is making the transition from college defensive end to NFL outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. There will be growing pains for the 20-year-old, who will likely be used in pass-rushing situations more than anything else as he acclimates his game. (5/12)... The Sun reports that Billick denies the Ravens have any interest in trading for the Jags' Mark Brunell. "We've had no discussions," Billick said. (5/7)

One of the last times a team started a QB the first year was San Diego and QB Ryan Lief (beyond beLief?)

Also, the knock on Suggs was that he was not that fast for a DE. Now they have him playing a position (OLB) were he is REALLY to slow.
Maybe the Raven's did a good job picking, but for actually using the players, they get an "F".

Hoops

Forum Member
Aug 10, 1999
Suggs 40 time was slow, but I don't take much from that... anytime I saw the guy play in an actual game with pads on he looked plenty fast to me.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

bjfinste

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2001
AZ
One of the last times a team started a QB the first year was San Diego and QB Ryan Lief (beyond beLief?)

The Colts started Manning as a rookie that same year, and that hasn't turned out too bad. However, I'm still not sold on Boller. Even like with Palmer, they both had one good college year and that doesn't make a successful pro.

As for Suggs, I'm with Hoops. Defensive players that aren't D-backs don't run 40 yards on the field in a sprint. I'll withhold judgement on Suggs until I see him in preseason, but I never felt speed was a problem with him with what I saw.

It may be a couple of years before you can decide if the Ravens deserve an A or not, but I think they went the correct route with Suggs. Now let's see if they sign these guys before camp.