Banking question

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

ga_ben

Snarky
Forum Member
Oct 12, 2006
Acworth, GA
So I find out on Monday that some female has been impersonating my wife and has cashed approx. $ 6050.00 worth of bogus checks that were made out to her. This person or persons cashed the checks on the same day in the same branch. This is either bank incompetence as we never have that amt. in at one time or an inside job. We've taken all necessary steps (closed acct., credit alerts, police reports) to protect ourselves from future fraud. Now the bank (WAMU) is saying that we will not be made whole until their investigation is complete, which could be between 5 and 15 days. I have a couple of friends who've told me their banks policy is to put the money back in within 24 hours. Anyone have any insight into this? We're only out $1400 and I'm sure will be made whole but in the meantime I got bills to pay. What a freaken mess!

toastonastick

Forum Member
Nov 25, 2003
Atlanta
most banks will credit you the money while they investigate. At least they did for me when someone got a hold of ym checkcard number. Might be different with checks:shrug:

marcb1oo5

Forum Member
Oct 23, 2006
happened to me about a year ago, someone got my bank info and was writing $1950 payroll checks from my account, 6 of them to be exact...i also do not keep more than around $4000 in my account at one time, so most of them bounced, but the money was back in my account within 24 hours...and like you, i immediately closed my account.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Morris

Tent Maker
Forum Member
Aug 23, 2002
Above the Clouds....
My bank informed me today when I wanted to deposit a check and keep $100 out that I had to have a picture on file. I have to bring in my driver's license so they can scan it. Good policy now that I think about it with all the ID theft.

ga_ben

Snarky
Forum Member
Oct 12, 2006
Acworth, GA
I like the idea of having pics on file. I'm gonna see if there is a password option as well. This piece of crap also attempted to open a line of credit at a Home Depot using her info. Somehow they were able to open the credit and then get $1,000 worth of gift cards.

turksure

play the under
Forum Member
Jul 8, 2005
OK
Do you have an attorney relationship or just have a smart ass friend call the bank and request the funds credited. Tell them you are taking the story to the local TV station news department.

You funds will be credited quckly is my guess.

turk

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

shamrock

Forum Member
Aug 12, 2001
Boston, MA
something like this happened to me 3 days before Christmas this past year. Washington Mutual was also the bank. I don't even have a savings or checking account with that bank, just a credit card. Someone wrote 4000 + in those a bank transfer. Got my statement and almost died, because didn't have a balance. toast is correct, usually bank will credit you money while investigating, not Washington Mutual, and I was going to use that card Christmas shopping. Took about 4 weeks to get straightened out

ga_ben

Snarky
Forum Member
Oct 12, 2006
Acworth, GA
Boys,

I don't know if they checked the signature cards or not. They told me they are looking at tape and comparing signatures. The sigs are somewhat similar to my wifes. The thing is at WAMU the tellers don't dispense the cash. You get a slip of paper with a code on it and have to go to a cash machine and put in the code. They should have some pretty good up close shots of this hag. I still think its an inside job. I cant see a bank being that incompetent. Or maybe I can. Nothing surprises me anymore. Wife's got a solid alibi. She was giving a deposition to the IRS in a tax matter for her company.

Turksure, if I don't hear something soon I may have to go the attorney or television route.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

toastonastick

Forum Member
Nov 25, 2003
Atlanta
Those checks that credit cards send are the worst. You need to call your cards and tell them not to send them. Easy target to swipe out of your mailbox

ga_ben

Snarky
Forum Member
Oct 12, 2006
Acworth, GA
Toast,
God I hate those. What dumbasses use those! 18 or 19 % interest. When we were filling out the paperwork at the WAMU branch on Monday they had the audacity to push a WAMU credit card on us.