Barcelona Trip Suggestions Needed

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

samayam

Forum Member
Feb 19, 2006
Traveling to Barcelona in a week for a 10 day visit.

Need any and all suggestions on must see/do.

Thinking of staying in the Ramblas area, if anyone is familar. Planning on catching a Barcelona match, would love to see Ronaldinho in person.

Anyways, if anyone has been and can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

Oh, and a girlfriend of many years will be coming along, so any whore house tips and what not wont suffice this time.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Happy Hippo

Registered
Forum Member
Mar 2, 2006
Thinking of staying in the Ramblas area, if anyone is familar. Planning on catching a Barcelona match, would love to see Ronaldinho in person.

:com: This is a great area for nightlife and sightseeing - the heart of Barcelona, but beware! There are some shady sections of town. For instance, my sister and I rented a flat there this spring and when I told my friend who lives in Barcelona where it was, she freaked out! Her boyfriend who has lived his whole life in Barcelona said a few years ago he would not even walk down the street we were staying on. Right outside our door was a street we renamed "hooker alley" and the characters hanging around left a little to be desired. However, we survived and it was a perfect place as far as pure location.

Breakfast is nonexistent. You eat at 1pm, then at 10pm or later. Most restaurants don't open until 9 or 10pm. The nightlife is unbelievable - the streets are more crowded at 2am than at 2pm. There are some really cool bars in the Ramblas and during the day you can see all the Cathedrals and stuff if that interests you. One of my favorite parts was just walking around town looking at all of Gaudi's architecture. Park Guell is one of the coolest places I have ever been - all designed by Gaudi, it's like dreamland. His cathedral is amazing as well. If you get tired of the city, you can go up to Estadi Olimpic and see the old stadium and everything. It is in a park high above the city and offers nice views and a breath of fresh air.

Enjoy - it is truly a party city and you will love it! The people are really friendly and there is never a dull moment.

Oh, and make sure to drink from the fountain just north of the Ramblas - supposedly if you drink from it you will keep going back to Barcelona...and you will want to!

Last edited:

samayam

Forum Member
Feb 19, 2006
Much appreciated hippo

The hotel is right on La Rambla. Here is the description from the webstie:

Our 3 star hotel is built in 1999 and reformed in 2004. Located on the city centre, in the popular Las Ramblas and from two minutes to the Gothic Quarters. Near to the harbour and the Olympic Villa. Ten minutes from the Barcelona International Fair and from the Olympic Mountain. 15/20 minutes from Barcelona Airport. Freeways can be reached from excellent access to freeways.

heard alot about the hookers and bad spots of town, does this suituation sound solid to you from your experence?
Thanks for the tips, will be sure to do them all-ive got nothing but time while there.
Thanks alot for the help hippo.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

lay the wood2

Forum Member
Jan 19, 2003
New York City
Nice post Happy Hippo, sounds very similar to what me and my buddies have experienced over there in bcn. Definately need to hold onto your wallets walking up and down ramblas. its a great street and terrific area but there are lots of con artists and pickpockets over there. watch out for shady "spectacles" like groups putting on shows and what not. while they have your attention watching what they are doing, they usually have another guy in the crowd looking for easy tourists. just one of the things i have seen happen. if you keep your eyes peeled and keep your valuables close and near you won't have a problem. hh is right, the city doesnt sleep too much. things are going on throughout the night.
about things that i have enjoyed doing, i usually end up going in july so i enjoy the beach. i am pretty sure the bullfight season is shut down or that would have been something to go see if you have never been. i am what they call an aficianado so that takes up most of my time. lots of gaudi and picasso showings and museums that are pretty cool to check out. the stadium olympic is beautiful, i would do that at night though to check out the lights. down by the beach past ramblas and the christopher colombus statue they have inlets, boats or i should say yachts massive in size are docked in there. some of the biggest boats ive ever seen, you have sailors from all over the world that dock in this area and those are pretty cool to check out. they have had a lot of worldwide events in bcn recently so the city is bustling, you'll enjoy it, again just hold onto your wallets.

Happy Hippo

Registered
Forum Member
Mar 2, 2006
samayam - you will be fine wherever you stay - we were two women staying in the shadiest part of town, and never felt harassed or had any problems. lay the wood2 is right in saying just watch your wallet when you're in certain parts of town.

Enjoy - have a safe trip!

samayam

Forum Member
Feb 19, 2006
Appreciate the help guys and girls. Leaving in 3 days. Will make sure to yall know how it went. Thanks.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg