Barry Bonds Tested Positive for Amphetamines

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Please, can we finally get this guy booted and his records scratched.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/01/11/bonds.amphetamines/index.html

Barry Bonds, already under investigation for lying under oath about his steroid use, failed a test under Major League Baseball's amphetamine policy last season and then initially blamed it on a teammate, the Daily News has learned.

Under the policy, which went into effect only last season, players are not publicly identified for a first positive test.

But according to several sources, when first informed by the MLB Players Association of the positive test, Bonds attributed it to a substance he had taken from the locker of teammate Mark Sweeney. Sources did not identify the drug in question but characterized it as a serious stimulant.

When asked last night whether Bonds had an explanation for why he failed the test or if he wanted to issue a denial, Bonds' agent, Jeff Borris, said, "I have no comment on that."

Giants officials did not return calls seeking comment last night.

Bonds, who has long defended himself against steroid accusations by saying he "never failed a drug test," did not appeal his positive test, but was immediately subject to an additional six drug tests by MLB over the next six months.

Sweeney declined comment, but his agent, Barry Axelrod, told the News, "Mark was made aware of the fact that his name had been brought up, but he did not give Barry Bonds anything and there was nothing he could have given Barry Bonds."

Bonds was not punished for his transgression, but instead was referred to treatment and counseling. While amphetamines are considered performance-enhancing drugs, they are treated differently than steroids under baseball's drug policy. Had Bonds failed a steroid test, he would have been suspended for 50 games, but under baseball's amphetamine policy no one is publicly identified or suspended until a second positive, which would result in a 25-game suspension. A player is suspended for 80 games for a third positive.

The policy covers a range of stimulants, including the ubiquitous "greenies," or Dexedrine. Benzedrine, ephedrine and the stimulants Ritalin and Adderall, which are used to treat attention-deficit disorder, are among the substances on the policy.

"We're not in a position to confirm or deny, obviously," MLB spokesman Rich Levin said. "A second failed test would mean a suspension."

Sources said Sweeney, a first baseman/outfielder, first heard about the test when Gene Orza, the chief operating officer of the players association, called to say the player's name had been dragged into the controversy.

Orza told Sweeney that if he had anything troublesome in his locker, he should remove it and that he should not be sharing substances with other players. Sweeney told Orza that there was nothing in his locker that would be of concern, sources said.

Axelrod would not comment on the conversation between Orza and Sweeney. Orza also refused to comment on what he said to Sweeney or about Bonds' failed test, but added, "I can say unequivocally in my 22 years I've known Barry Bonds he has never blamed anyone for anything."

Sweeney apparently confronted Bonds, and Bonds told him that Orza had misunderstood, that he had not intended to implicate his teammate.

Bonds has been in the doping spotlight since September 2003, when federal agents raided the BALCO lab and the home of Bonds' personal trainer, Greg Anderson. Bonds testified before a grand jury in the steroid-trafficking case that he had taken substances identified by the government as steroids, but that he believed they were legal supplements. A Daily News reporter overheard part of his testimony that day admitting he had unknowingly used steroids, and a year later the San Francisco Chronicle published extended excerpts from the grand jury transcripts.

The leaks about Bonds' steroid use were not sufficient evidence to allow MLB to test Bonds for cause, but the failed amphetamine test is.

BALCO founder Victor Conte, Anderson and three other men served prison sentences for their parts in the trafficking ring, and Bonds has been under investigation for perjury and tax evasion for more than two years. Anderson is in prison on a contempt charge for refusing to testify against his longtime friend.

Long before steroids took hold in clubhouses in the early 1990s, amphetamines were the performance-enhancer of choice in baseball.

Even when baseball first adopted a steroids policy in 2003, amphetamines were not specifically banned or tested for, although many are illegal without a prescription.

bryanz

Forum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Syracuse ny, usa
I have no use for Bonds but why single him out ? If you throw out his records you have to throw out who knows what in the steroid era of baseball. Every era of baseball is different and history judges player by who was the best in their era. Bonds was the best in his era, the steroid era. It all started in the mid 80's with even little guys like Lenny Dyksra, Howard Johnson, Bret Boone and Brady Anderson. These are just a few that took roids. Not to mention all the pitchers that took them. More players that not took that stuff. Sosa , McGuire and Bonds are the poster boys but this thing ran deep. Baseball fans will have to look at all the records from 1985 to 2005 and just accept that most of what we saw was Steroid induced. I say leave all the records in, anyone that cares about baseball records and the history of the game will know , steroids was a huge part of baseball for these 20 yrs.

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
maybe we should scratch the last 20 years then. i'm fine with that.

how about everything since 1984 - that way the orioles will be defending champs going into next season!

deadeye

Forum Member
Oct 22, 2006
south texas
steroids

steroids

they have no choice but to keep the records but they oughta put an asterick by them. how can anyone really think bonds didn't take the juice? same way majority of blacks in this country thought oj was innocent. too much money involved to ever again keep the game clean. what a shame. the babe did it on hotdogs and booze.

ImFeklhr

Raconteur
Forum Member
Oct 3, 2005
San Francisco
maybe we should scratch the last 20 years then. i'm fine with that.

how about everything since 1984 - that way the orioles will be defending champs going into next season!

Try at least 40 years. Mays and Aaron (and stars of that era) were both heavily suspected to practically sprinkle amphetamine on their corn flakes. People knew, nobody cared.

As a Giants fan, I have desperately hoped Bonds never took any steroids or broke any rules, but at some point "we" eventually stop being Bonds apologists. Nobody has ever loved the guy, but everything aside he is one hell of a player. If he wasn't such a punk, I would feel really bad that everything related to him is constantly "leaked" and that he is being ridiculously hounded by the US Attorneys.

kcwolf

Forum Member
Aug 1, 2000
Iowa City
While much of the coverage of this has been on the level, some of the reporting has been misleading. Most importantly, the Giants were aware of Bonds' positive test. Teams are always conscious of positive tests, since things like additional tests and administrative needs would have to be communicated through the team. Saying that privacy rules would prevent Brian Sabean from knowing about Bonds' test are laughable. While we're on the topic of the additional tests, those are one more interesting data point. Since Bonds was not suspended, there was no second positive test, nor was there a positive test during that point for any other banned substance. Bonds may not have "played naked" during his comeback season in 2006, but he didn't play juiced. That much we now know. Finally, the initial story of Bonds blaming the positive test on Mark Sweeney didn't seem right. Bonds is nothing if not loyal, and needs to look no further than his friend Anderson to see the value of a shut mouth. Add in that Sweeney's locker was not located near Bonds' complex of lockers and the story just doesn't fit the facts.

layinwood

Forum Member
Aug 29, 2001
Dallas, TX
KC, there aren't many people on this forum I respect more than you if any but I have to disagree with you man.

1. Bonds keeping his mouth shut and we look to Anderson. Bonds didn't do crap, Anderson is the one who is loyal and is paying for it. Bonds hasn't proved to be a loyal friend to anyone.

2. When you say he didn't play juiced in 06. I may be in the minority here but as someone who lifts, has dabbled in performance enhancing substances and who has friends who do juice, I consider HGH juicing and we really don't know if he's doing that because of not being able to test for it. So to say he was clean this year is an opinion, of course mine is as well.

heleanth

Forum Member
Oct 17, 2001
Northern Wisconsin
Anyone that got caught should be penalized with having his records asterisked in the record books. If you didn't get caught, no asterisk. The writers will have to determine if Bonds or McGuire or anyone else deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

Personally, I think that those that juiced did far more irreparable harm to the game of baseball than Pete Rose or any of the Black Sox. What the juicers did was cheapen the records of those that played before, which is almost criminal in my extimation. If Hank Aaron sued Bonds in civil court, I think he would have a good case.

If Bonds had any class at all, he would retire now.

Bet on MyBookie