Baylor Bears -1.5

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

JCoverS

Forum Member
Jan 24, 2001
As if the fact that Baylor came out as the favorite here isn't enough fodder alone to get me on the Bears tonight, there are so many other factors that also make me side to the home team here. IMO, these are two teams headed in opposite directions.

Given the utter disarry of the Baylor men's basketball program that Scott Drew inherited when he took the Baylor job at the beginning of last year, a first year record of 8-21 (3-13 in B12) was actually quite good. It certainly proved to many what most people already knew, that Scott Drew is a wonderful coach, with a bright future. Outmanned seemingly every game, the Bears gave maximum effort and hustled every single night. There is no question that Coach Drew has the ability to get the most out of his young players.

Despite the baby steps Coach Drew and the Bears made last year, on paper, this year's squad didn't look like much, either. Returning only three TOTAL players (two walk-ons and ONE returning starter and scholarship player) is certainly not the beginnings of a "dream season". The fact that Baylor has already reached its total win mark of last year is rather remarkable, even despite the fact that they have faced some really weak opposition in their non-conference schedule.

Beyond Coach Drew's obvious ability to coach,the sheer work ethic of the team and an infusion of new talent this year has breathed new life into this Baylor program.

The Bears have won 6 of 8, and covered the spread in their last three lined games, including a real confidence-inspiring win at Purdue. This is a very good shooting team, and you've gotta know it's from reps, not pure talent. BU is shooting 47% from the field and 39% from 3-point land this year. Their recent shooting performances have been just as good, even against some quality defenses. CU's 45% defensive FG average, is not likely to thwart the Bears hot shooting tonight.

BU's floor general and uber-talented PG Aaron Bruce has caught the attention of fans and coaches alike. Recently even Dick Vitale gave him some publicity by tabbing him as one of his "Super Six All-Diaper Dandies". Even though he's a freshman, Bruce hails from Australia bringing with him lots of international basketball experience. He is certainly not playing like your typical freshman PG. He is a great ball handler and distributor, running the offense very well. But because Baylor lacks in talent and depth, he is also required to be a scorer, too. It's a good thing for Baylor fans that the kid can absolutely shoot the lights out (leads Big 12 in 3-point FG%).

Tim Bush, a transfer from LSU, has also added much needed talent to the roster when he became eligible after the fall semester. Offensively and defensively, Bush had added alot of spark to the starting lineup.

The steady improvement of C Swanson is also of major note. Swanson is averaging 13 and 6 per game, while shooting 58% from the field. While he's not going to match-up all that well against the likes of Klotz, Bookout, or Simien, he is certainly very serviceable against lesser talented post players, the likes of which he will see tonight. After facing the bigs of OU and Texas in Baylor's last Big 12 outings, you've got to think Swanson is salivating for the matchup tonight against a very weak Colorado front-line. Colorado's recent defensive efforts on the interior sure have left alot to be desired. Swanson should put up great numbers tonight.

Now to the Colorado side.....coming into the season, things didn't look great for the Buffaloes, either. They lost 4 out of 5 starters from a good squad last year. The loss of Morandis to graduation and the early, somewhat unexpected departure of Harrison was an even tougher blow. Despite some early season success this year, Ricardo Patton and the Buffaloes have really been in a tailspin as of late. It all began eight games ago when they lost starting C Julius Ashby to injury. An already thin front line got thinner after that. That one injury has taken a huge toll on this team and their make-up. It is beginning to wreak havoc on some of their young, but talented guards/forwards. To say the least, confidence is not at a high point.

CU enters this game tonight, losers of 4 out of their last 5 games. Their lone win during this stretch was at Richmond, which looks good on paper, only. Reading the quotes after the game, Richmond Spiders HC Jerry Wainwright mentioned that his team had been battling illnesses prior to the game and even admitted that his team "looked as if they didn't have any life or bounce in their step during the game". Throw in the fact that this year's Richmond squad looks to be quite a bit down from recent, pesky Spider teams and all of the sudden I don't take much stock in that Colorado victory.

Some of Ricardo Patton's comments after the last few games really don't shed too much positive on the CU team, either. He has indicated that this team is searching for answers, but finding none. Coach Patton is still fiddling with lineups, trying to find the right chemistry. This is not something typical, or very beneficial this late in a college basketball season. Ricardo also made some references to some players not playing hard all the time and a lack of execution by the players.

Particularly disturbing was the recent poor effort seen out of the Buffaloes in a home loss to Nebraska two games ago. That was certainly a game they could and should have won, but they failed to show up in the first half of their conference home opener, scoring just 22 points in the first half to the 'Huskers 37. While they did mount a little come back in the second half, the damage had already been done and it was too much for them to overcome. That is a game that the better Colorado ball clubs of past years would have won. In fact, recent history tells us that the mountain air of the Coors Event Center has been a great home court advantage for the Buffs, as they had gone 15-1 at home over the last two Big 12 seasons. The fact that they have already lost two Big 12 games at home, lends credence to my opinion that this is simply NOT a very good Colorado team, one that will be hard pressed to go on the road and beat even the lowly Big 12 programs, like Baylor.

Reading some of the grumblings written by their own fans on the CU message boards, it seems that the team is not running much of an offense. Lots of one-on-one, create your own shot stuff. The Buffs are not even trying to get the ball inside because they lack capable post-up players, so they have been doing alot of standing around behind the three-point line, passing the ball around the horn with little off the ball movement, cuts, or screening. The result is that they are forced into poor shot selection and a bevy of contested, long-range shots. Their recent poor shooting stats certainly bare witness to that. In recent games against Utah, OU, Nebraska, and KU, the Buffs have hoisted an average of 22.5 threes/game, only connecting on 24% of them. Not pretty.

Bottomline: Even though Colorado holds an edge in overall talent and athleticism against the Bears tonight, they hold very few, if any other edges outside of that. Baylor is at home for a rare, nationally televised contest (ESPN Classic). We all know how big the home court advantage is in college basketball. I fully expect this team to be extremely pumped up, along with the crowd. Let's face it, Baylor won't have too many opportunities to get Big 12 wins this year. This game had to be circle on their calendars as a winnable one. I fully expect the Bears to make the most out of this opportunity tonight and march to a comfortable victory, all the while leaving Colorado as the new front-runners for the dubious distinction of being the worst team in the Big 12. You know that Baylor is anxious to pass on their "crown of sh!t" for good!

Good Luck to All,

-JC

JCoverS

Forum Member
Jan 24, 2001
Added some more at PK. Pinnacle still holding at -1, though.

Good Luck to All,

-JC

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Clem D

Mad Pisser
Forum Member
May 26, 2004
Long Branch NJ
Good luck great write up. Im on the other side. I think Roby is the best player on the court. Just think this is one of the few conf games Colorado wins.

Again great respect for the time you put in your write up.

gman2

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2002
outstanding work JC. thanks for the winner. coattailed sun tzu on baylor the other day and liked the result, and then went right back with em tonight after you posted the bears. just a damn solid winner tonight. thanks for taking the time to post that wire to wire winner.

JCoverS

Forum Member
Jan 24, 2001
Thanks, fellas. Glad to make a winning contribution to the board, tonight. I thoroughly enjoyed reviewing the boxscore after this one ended. Several things played out, spot on. Always nice when that happens, huh? Colorado continued their cold 3-point shooting, but continued to fire away anyway (3-23 :scared). Swanson got a double, double as predicted, etc. Also, it looks like Coach Patton might have been feeling some desparation there in the 2nd half, as he went ahead and threw Julius Ashby in the lineup to no avail. Ashby logged 16 minutes tonight but couldn't have been anymore than about 70% healthy. He wasn't supposed to be cleared to play for another week or so. Perhaps Ricardo felt his job slipping away from him? :shrug:

Anyway, every once in awhile I feel confident enough in a play to post it and do a long write-up. Literally, spent hours on this one today. I guess these less than succinct posts take so much out of me that I can only submit one about twice/month. :lol: Just kidding. Actually, it's just my feeble attempt at trying to earn my keep around here after all the coattailin' I do. Fine group of 'cappers we have here. :yup

BTW, gman I am especially pleased to hear that I was able to put some extra coin in your pocket tonight. Lord only knows how many more I owe you. Unfortunately, at the current rate of 25 winners taken from gman for every 1 winner given to gman, it doesn't look as if I'm ever gonna be able to settle up. I beg for your forgiveness! :grins: :lol:

-JC

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Box and one

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2000
Hudson Valley area.....NY
JC,thanks.I took BU for a small play after your post.Wish I played it stronger.I think the score was 18-1 at the start.But the Buffs came back but the Bears prevailed.Congrads..nice win and write up.