Bears stadium ??

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Chenker

Forum Member
Jul 2, 2001
CA
I believe they are going to be playing in Champaign, IL all season where the Illini plays.:shrug:

BobbyBlueChip

Trustee
Forum Member
Dec 27, 2000
Belly of the Beast
Chenker is correct. They're playing at Memorial Stadium in Champaign. They got the new turf in there last year, which should help the Bears on defense as they have more speed than just about anybody.

The Sun Times talked about their "home game" schedule in the paper today. They will be chartering a plane to get down to Champaign on Saturday. To a man, the Bears say that the travelling won't bother them, but come November and December, some fatigue will have set in.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Big Daddy

Forum Member
Apr 30, 2000
Wisconsin
Also, from what I have heard, the "home" games in Champaign may be blacked out in the Chicago area on TV if the games are not sold out. This, to me, would suck if I still lived in the Chicago area. Anyboby else heard about this?

BobbyBlueChip

Trustee
Forum Member
Dec 27, 2000
Belly of the Beast
It's astroturf, but the new kind that they have in Huskie Stadium and the one that Nebraska uses.

Bears plan to lower ticket prices to ensure that the games aren't sold out. But 70,000+ seats is 70,000+ people. It will be tough.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Valuist

Forum Member
Aug 21, 2001
Mt. Prospect, IL
I don't know why they just didn't bulldoze that eyesore and start completely from scratch. The reality is we could use a multi-purpose dome here that could be used for football, baseball, concerts and conventions. But idiots like Daley just can't fathom an indoor stadium. (Oh my God, you mean December games don't *HAVE* to be played in zero degree wind chills?). Now we'll have two subpar newer stadiums in town.

BobbyBlueChip

Trustee
Forum Member
Dec 27, 2000
Belly of the Beast
I'm one of those idiots. I've been to the Silverdome and the Superdome and the atmosphere isn't the same. And you wouldn't be able to see the skyline from your seats. There is no atmosphere in an indoor facility.

JJP

Forum Member
May 3, 2002
IL
The Silverdome is one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL. When Detroit has any kind of halfway decent team at all, it is very difficult to go in there and win. I'll sacrifice a view of the skyline for comfort and 70 degrees.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

BobbyBlueChip

Trustee
Forum Member
Dec 27, 2000
Belly of the Beast
Forgot about this thread.

Valuist/JJP,

I guess we look for different things in going to a game. I'm glad they stuck with Soldier Field.

Also, on the question about the blackouts. The Bears will only be seating about 55,000-60,000 in Memorial Stadium because they aren't going to be selling the "obstructed" view seats. I've been to Illinois and there are none. But it shows they're going to do everything they can to keep the games on TV.

redsfann

ale connoisseur
Forum Member
Aug 3, 1999
Somewhere in Corn Country
If the Bears ever build an indoor stadium, I'll stop watching the NFL. Why give up that kind of home-filed advantage of playing outside vs a warm weather team in Nov/Dec/Jan?

besides, those of us that live in the Upper Midwest can handle a little cold weather, right? And if you can't, you don't need to be at the game anyway. Stay home, be the wimp that you are, and let the real fans go to the games.

Update on the Bears' blackout situation. They are saying that if they sell 50,000 tickets that that will be enough to stop any blackouts in Chicago.
I, too, have been to Memorial Stadium in Champaign and BobbyBlueChip's right-- there are no "obstructed view" seats there. But hey, if thats what the NFL has to do to avoid blackouts in Chicago....

Speaking of outdoor games in December-- anyone for that Bears/ Packers Sunday nighter from Champaign? I think that one is on Dec 20th or so. Wanna bet on it being cold at that game? :D ;)

packfan

Forum Member
Aug 18, 2000
Franklin,WI USA
It doesnt matter where the Bears play...because they're still not beating da Packers! :D :D :D

No offence bears Fans...let the best team win!!!

Go Pack Go

-Packfan

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

jmizeus

Forum Member
Dec 15, 2000
western,ny
have to agree w/redsfann! no way in hell should the bears ever go to a indoor stadium! 1st of all they are a team on the rise-play-off bound probably this year to say the least!
2nd of all, i go to all the bills games and believe me brother i love it in the cold @ a football stadium and watch the opposistion trying to play in horid temperature and conditions! when a team comes to play at the ralph in december-gl!