Betting ATS versus the Money Line

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

PerpetualCzech

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm sure most experienced handicappers will agree with me when I say that I don't generally find a big difference from game to game in the money line that is posted next to any particular spread line. That is, for a 3-point favourite you pretty much always see a money line of around -150 or -160 ... for a 7-point favourite you see a line close to -300, and so on.

What possible characteristics of a game could produce some variance in what the money line should be for a particular spread? One thing that pops to my mind right away is the total. I did a few studies that produce some interesting results.

The following data consists of all regular season games from 1995-2001, 7 seasons in total:

-----
For teams that were between -1.5 to -3.5-point favourites this is how often they won the game outright:

For games with totals of 36.5 or less: 78 out of 120 or 65.00%
For games of totals of 45.5 or more: 31 out of 51 or 60.78%
-----
For teams that were between -7.5 to 9.5-point favourites this is how often they won the game outright:

For games with totals of 36.5 or less: 23 out of 36 or 63.89%
For games of totals of 45.5 or more: 19 out of 21 or 90.48%
-----

The second category of games (involving heavy favourites) is particularly striking. Even with the fairly small sample of games, the difference seems clear: the higher the total posted for a game with a big favourite, the better chance the favourite has to win the game outright. This makes perfect sense because the more scoring there is in the game, the more chance the "cream has to rise to the top". What I mean by that is that the best chance a team has to prove it's better that its opponent is to score more points, and the more opprtunity there is for them to do that, the less chance the worse team has to get lucky and pull off an upset. This is why for example, a better team in any given sport has a better chance of winning a 7-game series than say, a 3-game series.

With respect to the smaller favourites, it looks like games with lower totals produce more outright winners than higher totals. Here the skill level difference between the 2 teams isn't enough to really produce the "cream rising to the top" effect, but it's possible that by betting the money line, the points that you get over to your side are much more valuable in a lower scoring game than a higher one, since points are more of at a premium. The more scoring there is in the game, the higher variance there should be in the final scoring margin and you will have less of a chance of that margin falling into the window that will make the difference between the ATS and ML bet.

These are all just theories and speculation of course. But the results themselves I think are very valuable to those with a more technical approach to their handicapping.

TheShrimp

Forum Member
Jan 15, 2002
The Flip Side

The Flip Side

PerpetualCzech said:
-----
For teams that were between -7.5 to 9.5-point favourites this is how often they won the game outright:

For games of totals of 45.5 or more: 19 out of 21 or 90.48%
-----
This would indicate that bets on Det SU and Hou SU are good bets this week.

Hou is presently +290 with a posted total of 33.5. Det is +340 with a total of 35.5.

Both of those numbers pay better than you need if they only win at a 36% clip.

TheShrimp

Forum Member
Jan 15, 2002
Re: Betting ATS versus the Money Line

PerpetualCzech said:
-----
For teams that were between -1.5 to -3.5-point favourites this is how often they won the game outright:

For games with totals of 36.5 or less: 78 out of 120 or 65.00%
-----

-----

Don't you find this VERY odd? Could your stats be off?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Nick Douglas

Forum Member
Oct 31, 2000
Los Angeles, CA, USA
PC,

Thanks for that info. Very interesting stuff.

I tend to agree with your logic. I think a team like the 2000 Ravens would be more susceptible to an upset than the 1999 Rams because bad teams are often simply incapable to keeping up even if they get a fluke score or two.

The only thing I worry about is the sample amounts. 21, 36 or even 51 games is not very many. That works out to 3, 5 and 7 games per year, respectively. Given such small numbers, it is tough to tell whether this is a legitimate trend or a statistical aberration.

The good thing is that the stats do seem to be backed by logic.

PerpetualCzech

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
Shrimp, I agree that that looks completely strange. I'll go back and check again but if the results hold up, then that would suggest Nick is right about being skeptical of the sample space (Actually I'm sure he is right about that regardless). I'll try and think about how I can maybe improve on this, and of course I'm happy to hear suggestions from others.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Skanoochies

Forum Member
Nov 15, 2001
Canada
P.C. I was wondering why there is no reference to games between 36.5 and 45.5. Just under 36.5 and over 45.5? Am I missing something here,please?

Thanks,

Skanoochies.:confused:

TheShrimp

Forum Member
Jan 15, 2002
Just some analysis this guy did on big/small spreads in games with low totals, and big/small spreads in games with high totals.

He ignored medium lines and medium totals.

Nolan Dalla

Forum Member
Sep 7, 2000
Washington, DC/Las Vegas, NV
Chech:

NIce work on this. I apologize for not citing you in the write-up. This is the first time I have seen this thread and was operating with a lack of information. Anyways, excellent work as always. This will be something to pursue in the future.

Nolan

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg