Big 10/Big 12 Plays

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
Going to try to be more plugged into the action this season with my work schedule allowing me to work from home a little each week. Have decided to focus on the two conferences I follow the closest, and leave the capping of other schools to the experts. I am out of practice and will have to get back in the swing of doing the work consistently, and will label my plays accordingly. Hopefully before long I'll be worth reading from time to time. All that being said, will be back with my plays for this weekend in a while. My initial reads are a too favorite-heavy, and are evening games, so I may start small this week. I tend to prefer dogs as a rule, and need to poke holes in my first reads.

Good luck to all this season, be back later with plays.

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
3* Minnesota -9
2* Kansas State -28.5
2* Washington St. +7.5
2* Utah +3
1* Florida Atlantic +23.5
1* Nebraska -14

Comments:
Minnesota should be much improved defensively this season with the new formerly solid defensive coordinator that was over his head as HC at Duke. Back to his specialty now, and HC Brewster has recruited plenty of defensive jucos for him to work with. Soph QB Weber showed promise as a frosh, and should be better running the spread in his second season. Offense was not the problem last season, and should be even better, to go along with a much better defense. Gophers cover today.

Kansas State has a slew of new juco recruits (again) and they are a terrific home favorite under HC Prince. I look for this team to contend for the title this season, if the transfers and juco kids are all they are cracked up to be. While I like the Wildcats at face value, this is a play against No. Texas on the road out of conference as much as anything - they were crushed by Big 12 teams last season, and this one should be a tough one for them this season. Nice party in the Little Apple Manhatten tonight.

Washington St. was almost an outright pick winner for me, but I decided to keep it down early this season. I just do not buy into Oklahoma State on the road to open the season, and I think the Cougars will be much improved this season, especially on defense. To me, I think both teams will score plenty, but rate Washington State as a better defensive team, which will make the difference, at the almost home field. I don't discount the Cowboy offense, which should be tremendous, but I think they'll get stopped a time or two which will provide the cover with the points.

Utah Thought about giving props to Rodriguez and making more of that than some are, but he just does not have the offensive situation that will allow them to take off early - especially at QB. Defensively the Wolverines should be very good, but I like what Utah brings to the table on both sides of the ball. I think Utah should be a tough matchup for a new system to handle, and they have a great punter/FG kicker which will help with points and field position. Will take the points with what I think is a better team.

Florida Atlantic looks to be a pretty fair team, with a coach that knows how to play big schools. They return most of their players this season, and should start off playing well with a cohesive, veteran unit. I think the loss of Sweed and Charles will slow down the Longhorns offense out of the gate, and the points may be tough for them to cover against a pretty good football team.

Nebraska will probably kill me here, as I am putting too much faith in the Osborne/Pellini return. I just have to think that the sea of red will be frothing at the mouth today, and looking for Pellini to whip the Husker blackshirts back into the formidable group they always used to be. Ofensively with Marlon Lucky, a good QB in Ganz, and a good O line, they should put up plenty of points. If the defense is as improved as I'm betting it will be, they should cover a couple TD's at home.

Cheers!

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
Although I haven't caught much of the game, looks like Washington State is a big disappointment early. Utah overcoming some bad penalties to control the game. Really like the Ute's QB and receivers.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Cie

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 30, 2003
New Orleans
Although I haven't caught much of the game, looks like Washington State is a big disappointment early. Utah overcoming some bad penalties to control the game. Really like the Ute's QB and receivers.

Brian johnson is a stud when healthy. GL:weed:

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
Thanks, guys. Have to bump up Okie St. and drop Wazzou. Okie State looking very good today, a team to look for moving forward.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
Adding Mizzou for 1* in a late play. I respect what Zook has done in getting players to Champaign, but expect Mizzou and Chase Daniels to come out big time after getting snubbed for the BCS slot last season.

Chase Daniels for Heisman!!! :00hour

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
It means moving forward in my handicapping - giving Okie State more respect, and Washington State less respect. I totally was wrong in my thinking in looking at those two teams.

Probably played too much today, but nice to get back in the mix.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
Sorry to leave the spread of the Mizzou pick - have them at -9...pretty consistent spread here, actually worse than it could have been earlier.

Cheers!

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
Two notes - I do this as much as a reminder to myself in prep for the following week as anything, but maybe some of this will help others at some point.

Minnesota is still a poor football team. I was REALLY stupid for putting faith in this team and this coach on the heels of such a poor year last season - and the spread was probably a lot more than it should have been. And I made it my top pick of the day? :nono:

For those that have not watched Missouri football, Jeremy Macklin is something special to watch. That kid is flat out electric, and should be seen on Sundays in a couple years. In what has been a not-so-good performance by Daniel thus far (I credit the good Illini players Zook has there now), Macklin is a difference maker, and may save my ass tonight.