Big 12 South

Rosey

Forum Member
Jul 1, 2001
Chicago
BIG 12 SOUTH 2002-03

TEXAS LONGHORNS 13 RETURNING STARTERS O:8 D:5

HC MACK BROWN 38-13 SU

Can the Horns finally get over the hump??
Can Mack Brown win the big one??

What is there to say about the UT Horns?? Nothing!!! They've been a bunch of chokers so far, and they've clearly had some of the best talent in the country. The 2002 version just might be the squad that breaks through. Everything was set up for them last year, and maybe they expected to just win the championship. That's not the case this year, and they'll be w/out some excellent players from LY. Back is QB Simms, RB Benson (I could've sworn I heard he was done for the year...not sure), and all of LY's WR's for a very potent offense. This year's offense could set records at UT. The O-line loses its premier tackle, but HC Brown has recruited very well & talented hogs are looking to step right in. The defensive line is stacked, and will terrorize other squads O-lines. It just might be the best in the country. The LB's are a bit inexperienced, but talented nonetheless. The secondary is my main concern for UT. They lose stud cover men in Jammer & Brooks so they'll need some time to gain some experience & to gel. What just might put UT over the top this year are their special teams. They've gotten better every year Mack's been HC, and they could be dominating this year. The schedule is much tougher than LY's, but the Horns
might also be better than last year.

TEXAS A&M AGGIES 16 RETURNING STARTERS O:9 D:7

HC R.C. SLOCUM 117-41 SU

Can the Aggies stay healthy at every position this year??
Can they take care of the big dawg's at home??

Last year was one the College Station faithful would rather forget. They exploded out of the gate, but then injuries flat out killed this teams chances. Most of LY's team returns, and the only major loss is C McKinney. QB Farris returns for his senior season, but he's got some very talented recruits trying to take his job. The Backfield is loaded as everyone returns from injury, and RB Farmer will be ready to tear it up from the start. The O-line will suffer from the loss of their premier center, but this year version has a ton more experience, and they'll be stronger at getting the ground game going. The Wrecking Crew defense looks to be straight up nasty this year. The front 7 is very athletic, and very big. They're also anchored by one of the best secondaries in the country anchored by CB's Davis & Jones. The Aggie Special Teams will also improve due to the fact that Cody Scates can concentrate on punting since they landed the best punter in the nation. I'm really getting excited about the '02 Aggies b/c I want someone else to represent the South other than UT or OK. It's time for some new blood. This team has the goods to get it done, and they have the schedule as well. They get VTECH, Nebraska, and Oklahoma in front of the 12th man at home. This team could be undefeated when they stroll into Austin for their season finale.

OKLAHOMA SOONERS 15 RETURNING STARTERS O:8 D:7

HC BOB STOOPS 31-7 SU

Will they get better play out of the QB position??
Can their offense score in the big games??
Can they take advantage of their schedule??

The Sooners of 2002 seem to have the easiest path to winning their second National Championship in 3 years. They get every tough game at home except for roadies to Dallas to play Texas, and a Nov 9 date w/ the Aggies in College Station. I honestly can't believe how pathetic their schedule is!!! Hybl and White return & they better improve, or stoops will bench them for rFr Brent Rawls.
Little man Griifin is back as well for his SR season, and he's got a solid O-line paving the way. The WR core is loaded w/ talent, and returns most of LY's squad. The defense loses 2 impact players, and I just can't see the Sooners making up for those losses right away. Gone are LB Calmus, and CB Williams. They were the 2 studs of LY's dominating defense, and their losses will definitely be felt. The '02 defense returns plenty w/ game experience, and I'm sure HC Stoops will get them in the groove of things very quickly. This team clearly has the talent, AND SCHEDULE, to get to the Fiesta. It all just might depend on their 2 tough roadies vs. the Texas schools.

TEXAS TECH RED RAIDERS 16 RETURNING STARTERS O:7 D:9

HC MIKE LEACH 14-11 SU

Will the Red Raiders be able to win at least 2 from the big dawg's??
Can they're defense step it up??

Tech has gotten better the past few seasons, and they've been bowling in each as well. HC Leach has done a great job w/ this program, and they're one of the better Big 12 teams this yr as well. Their offense will be deadly lead by stud QB Kingsbury, but a RB will have to step up. The defense will also be better this season since 9 starters return, but they have to cut down the 23.8 ppg they gave up. This team just happens to be in the tougher South region of the Big 12, and they'll have to knock off one of the big dawg's along the way to make some serious noise. The Red Raiders will be bowling again in 2002, and they just might eclipse LY's win total.

OKLAHOMA STATE COWBOYS 16 RETURNING STARTERS O:8 D:8

HC LES MILES 4-7 SU

The Cowboys season was made LY when they invaded Norman, and crushed OU's hopes for repeating as National Champions. This team has a bunch of athletes that are capable of anything when things go right. I'm a big fan of the coaching staff, and they're new schemes will pay off big-time. OKST does pull a very tough conference slate, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them step up
& bite someone in the ass again.

BAYLOR BEARS 15 RETURNING STARTERS O:6 D:9

HC KEVIN STEELE 6-27 SU

This teams in the Big 12 why? The talent disparity is just too much, and I wish they'd kick this school out already!!!!!

Rosey

Forum Member
Jul 1, 2001
Chicago
I just can't give you the method to my madness, but I will tell you that I did a ton of research....LOL.

Felonious Monk

Site Owner
Forum Member
Oct 26, 2001
Austin, TX
I'm really getting excited about the '02 Aggies b/c I want someone else to represent the South other than UT or OK. It's time for some new blood.
Ah come on Rosey! :) Just curious but why all the excitement for the Aggies? I don't think A&M has what it takes to win the South. Last year they averaged a pathetic 4 offensive touchdowns in 5 games against their division. As long as Mark Farris is calling the signals, I'll feel that much safer knowing they aren't a threat to us.

Thanks for all of the research on each conference. I think most of what you have regarding the Big 12 is pretty accurate. I think everyone should take the time out to read about each conference to get a better feel of the teams they don't know about. It always helps when you're putting money on them. :D

Last edited:

Bob Stoops

Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
Sooner Nation
I think I better weigh in on this subject.

Your write ups were excellent and well written. Here are my opinions on the Big XII South.

UT- This team has the most talent in the conference for the fourth straight year. At this point, they have nothing to show for it. They catch a break this season by playing K-State and Nebraska on down years. In addition, they have A+M at home. The season will again hang on the October 12 date in Dallas. This coaching staff has continued to choke in big games as Mack is 1-10 against top 10 teams. They have to prove it before I will start picking them.

A+M - If Mark Farris is their starting QB, they have no chance. The rest of the team will certainly be improved, but unless Farris shows huge improvement or frosh Reggie McNeal can come in and start, the D is going to have to pitch shutouts and create points for this team to win ( much like OU did last year).

OU - My area of expertise. The QB position will be improved (how could it not be). After dismal results last year the hiring of new run-game coordinator Wilson from Northwestern will make alot of difference. The OL has shortened their splits and will look to be more balanced. TE Trent Smith is tops in the country and the WR position is loaded. OL returns 3 starters and all 5 have seen significant playing time (will still be the weakness of the team).
The Defense will again be excellent. The loss of Calmus will be helped by the addition of JUCO AA lance Mitchell and Pasha Jackson. Both players went through Spring Practice and are expected to start. The DL returns all four statrters as well as 2000 starter Dan Cody who missed last year with depression. Tommie Harris returns after an unbelievable Frosh campaign and will continue to improve. The loss of Williams will hurt and a replacement has not been decided (Eric Bassey leads). The secondary will be top notch as the remainder are returning starters, Everage, Strait and Woolfolk in addition with the return of 2000 starter Thompson who missed 2001 due to car accident. The D will be just as good and October 12 will decide this team's destiny.

Texas Tech - The conflict between HC Mike Leach and School President is too much. This team will implode by mid-season and Leach will be out of a job. They have a fair amount of talent and QB Kingsbury may be the best in league. But, the outside issues with this team will be too much.

Oklahoma State - This team is getting better in spite of their record. QB situation is not resolved but sophomore Josh Fields has upper hand after upset of OU. However, he was fairly ineffective in his other outings. AA WR Rashaun Woods will help, but OL is very weak and will have to show major improvement. Defense will be better and led by CB Elbert Craig and SS/Ret. Chris Massey. Miles seems to be on the right track but tough start (at La. Tech, UCLA) will dictate the remainder of their season.

Baylor - Still have not won a Big XII game. They Suck. WR Newhouse is a fine player that most do not know. He is their only fine player. May not win one this year.

Let me know your opinions.

Last edited:

Rosey

Forum Member
Jul 1, 2001
Chicago
Monk & Bob:

Bottom line fellas, the QB position will be more productive at A&M this year no matter who gets the nod. The Aggies offense was decimated w/ injuries LY, and pretty much everyone returns. They will have a running game behind a more experienced O-Line, and they have tons of speed in the backfield. Not to mention that all the WR's return, and are HEALTHY!!! I don't even feel the need to talk about their defense b/c its loaded. The Aggies get all the big dawgs at home, and they're only tough roady is at UT. I gotta figure that UT will have ost a few by then, and NOV 29 could be the game that decides who will represent the Big 12 South in the championship game. I really feel that RC's gotta special team this year, and College Station deserves it!!!!

Bob Stoops

Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
Sooner Nation
Big 12 media preseason football poll
2002-07-23

South

1. Oklahoma 124 points
2. Texas 117
3. Texas Tech 79
4. Texas A&M 71
5. Oklahoma State 46
6. Baylor 23

North

1. Colorado 121
2. Nebraska 104
3. Kansas State 95
4. Iowa State 61
5. Missouri 43
6. Kansas 26

(Six points for first, five for second, etc.)

Bet on MyBookie