Big East 2002-03

Rosey

Forum Member
Jul 1, 2001
Chicago
MIAMI HURRICANES 10 RETURNING STARTERS O:4 D:6

HC LARRY COKER 12-0 SU

Can QB Dorsey be as good with his revamped O-line??
Will RB Gore be back in time, or will RB Payton get the nod??
How will the green secondary affect this nasty defense??
Can the Canes dominate their tough road schedule, and repeat as champs??

The 2001 Hurricanes were simply the best. I would've rather seen them lock horns with the Ducks, but you can't always get what cha want. I'll be the first to tell you that I lost a pretty penny betting against these boys LY, and I always found myself scratching my head & asking why halfway through the 1st quarter. This team was unbelievably explosive. They turned a close game into a slaughter in a matter of minutes. The 2002 version is very talented, but a bit inexperienced. In my opinion, the Canes were so dominate in 2001 b/c of their O-line & their secondary. Both of these units are depleted this year. The O-line loses its stud LT McKinnie to the draft, and it's very hard to replace a player of his caliber. The kid didn't give up a sack in his entire collegiate career for crying out loud!! It'll be interesting to see just how good Dorsey will be w/out as dominating an O-line. The backfield also has a few question marks since stud RB Gore went down with an ACL injury. Walters' son just might get his shot this season. The defensive front 7 is loaded with talent, and the Canes are delighted that DE Joseph decided to stick around. The LB core is anchored by hard-hitting DJ Williams & Jonathan Vilma. This is quite possibly the best front 7 in all of football, but the secondary is a completely different story. I know the new secondary will be good, but it's almost impossible to expect them to be as dominating as LY's group. It will take some time for this secondary to adapt, but they better have their "A" game ready when they invade The Swamp September 7. HC Coker and his staff return for their sophomore season with even higher expectations. I don't think they'll be able to live up to them due to the loss of so many high impact players. Miami will be in a bowl, but it won't be the Fiesta!!!

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES 16 RETURNING STARTERS O:8 D:8

HC TOM O'BRIEN 31-27 SU

Who will replace RB Green & WR Dewalt??
Can BC finally nut it up, and win the Big East??

The Eagles had a nice season LY, and they'll look to do even better this time around. Back is QB St Pierre, and a veteran O-line. He also has a few weapons at his disposal. The defense is one of the better in the conference, and they'll improve on LY's numbers as well. BC had Miami on the ropes LY, and it took a miracle-deflected interception to escape Chestnut Hill with a "W" for the Canes. BC has gotten better each of the last 3 years, and I expect that trend to continue in '02. The Eagles can finally get over the hump this season if they win a big game on the road. Winning at Miami Sep 21 would send shockwaves through the nation, but I don't foresee that happening. This could be a season to remember for BC if they take care of business, and they will definitely be bowling for the 4th straight season.

VIRGINIA TECH HOKIES 11 RETURNING STARTERS O:6 D:5

HC FRANK BEAMER 107-65-2 SU

Who will step up at the QB position??
Will the defense be exposed up the middle??
Can they survive their nasty schedule??

VTECH has quickly become a powerhouse year in and year out. HC Beamer has done one hell of a job over the years molding the Hokies into Special teams monsters with solid defenses. The offense also had a few skilled position players. This year's team has a few question marks. The first of which is the QB position. QB Noel ripped an ACL, but he says he'll be ready for the spring. QB Marcus Vick is also waiting in the wings...yes, Michael's brother. The RB position is loaded with talent, and the return of a stronger Lee Suggs will only add to their success. I expect him and Jones to be a very solid tandem. The loss of WR Davis really hurts, but Richard Johnson returns & he's lightning fast. The 2002 defense won't be as good as LY's, but their secondary has the makings of a great one. Special teams will dominate once again since HC Beamer takes pride in coaching those boys. The Hokies schedule is tough as nails, and they'll have to come up with huge wins on the road if the plan on making any trips to AZ.

PITTSBURGH PANTHERS 14 RETURNING STARTERS O:8 D:6

HC WALT HARRIS 27-31 SU

What QB will step up to replace Priestley??
Will the defense stay on par even with the loss of 2 studs??

The Pitt Panthers had 2 seasons last year. A terrible first half, and a dominating second half. I think this Pitt team could've competed w/ the big boys towards the end of last season. I was very impressed how they lived up to their potential once HC Harris scrapped his spread "O", and went back to his pro-style attack. This years version looks just as good, but they'll need some time to gel on both sides of the ball. Their schedule won't allow that though. The Aggies come a calling Sep 7. The offense has a newcomer that will open many people's eyes. RB Brandon Miree finally gets to play after transferring from Alabama, and he'll quickly become one of the conferences best backs. The defense will have a better year as a whole, but they won't be able to top LY's output. If the Panthers can catch a few breaks on the road, they'll be in the running for the conference championship. Roadies to VTECH, Cuse, and Miami won't be fun whatsoever, but anything can happen.

SYRACUSE ORANGEMEN 9 RETURNING STARTERS O:3 D:6

HC PAUL PASQUALONI 91-39-1

Who will step up in the backfield??
Can the defenses make up for the loss of DE Freeney??

Last years Orangemen squad surprised the heck out of me. They went 10-3 on the year, and picked up a big win at VTECH. QB Anderson returns, and I'm expecting him to have an even better season as the full time starter. Someone has to step up in the backfield to replace the loss of RB Mungro, and the inexperienced O-line also has to step it up. The defense is what made the 'Cuse such a tough team LY. They simply dominated, and they had their highest sack output ever. They do lose a bunch of players off the squad, and it'll be hard to match last season's effort. They do have a very favorable schedule, but I really don't see The Orange making any real noise this year.

WEST VIRGINIA MOUNTANEERS 13 RETURNING STARTERS O:7 D:6

HC RICH RODRIGUEZ 3-8 SU

Who will win the starting QB position??
Can the offense run smoother this time around??

Last season didn't go to smoothly for new HC Rodriguez. The Mountaineers were hit hard with injuries, and they weren't able to recover. This years team looks very promising provided they stay healthy. The team has a year of the new schemes under their belts, and a QB better situated for the HC's spread offense. They also return stud RB Avon Cobourne. This kid is elusive, and can straight up torch the opposition. The WV offense will be much better this year, and I also expect a solid defense. DC Elmassian has decided to switch to a 3-3-5 defense so there might be some adjustments made early in the season. They get 3 of the 5 top dogs at home, and have 2 very winnable conference roadies. I expect a much better sophomore season for Rodriguez's' Mounty's, and they could knock off a big dog at home!!!

RUTGERS SCARLET KNIGHTS 17 RETURNING STARTERS O:9 D:8

HC GREG SCHIANO 2-9 SU

Why is this a division 1 team??

I do expect the Scarlet Knights to improve on LY's record, but the disparity in talent is just to big for them to do anything in conference. They could start off the season 3-0, but then they'll get turned into Swiss cheese as usual once Big East play begins. It would be nice to see them knock off a big dawg though!!!

TEMPLE OWLS 17 RETURNING STARTERS O:10 D:7

HC BOBBY WALLACE 12-32 SU

Why is this a division 1 team??

I had high hopes for LY's Owls, but they let me down. They were the most experienced team in the country a year ago, but they weren't able to improve on their record. They return a ton of players from LY's squad, but I'm not sure if that's such a good thing. They're still fighting for their conference lives so they might actually cover a few games as big dawgs.

Rosey

Forum Member
Jul 1, 2001
Chicago
I just wanted to make sure everyone saw these before they were knocked off the page.

fletcher

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 21, 2000
henderson,nv.
Rasheed Marshall will do very well this year for wv and the off will work, yes they had tons of injuries and a whole new system on both sides of the ball.

but the biggest problem was the ass that was brought in to run the deff and thats why he is gone.a foul mouth big headed jerk,that thought he was the main man well Rich is the main man there and won't let any player or coach upset what he will build,still a few years away but will get back to the big east power they were and deff will preform much better with wiley,king and estrada all being healthy.

no-one can stop cobourne ,have not in 3 years ck the stats even the mighty cains couldnot shut him down.

with a break or two wvu 8-4 or 7-5 and go to a mid size bowl game. it will not be a repeat of last year and should get some good dog numbers with them and at home as a dog i will bite everytime.

as for my other wv team only va.tech stands in they way of 11-0 and they will give the hokies all they can handle in blacksburgh.

sorry mac fans who all hate marshall no-one has a chance against them just like i said last year in july on here that the cains would win it all with ease. ck back if you want it is on here. so the mac is over before it starts. so all the ohio people start bitching now because it will be the heard walking over your teams again this year. but i still love the mac:D it's just marshall has out growen it.

GOAT

Forum Member
Dec 9, 1999
AURORA, OHIO, USA
You got that right, Marshall is the real deal. But i will say Kent State will be alot better this year. No not a Marshall but a good dog play more to come.

Bet on MyBookie