Big WCC Night

coolgi424

Forum Member
Apr 25, 2004
New York City
The WCC got a big lift today. Santa Clara beat UNC (even though it wasn't a healthy UNC), Gonzaga beat a very good Portland State team that looks as if it is going to make some noise. San Francisco is down 9 to Stanford. Probably won't come back but a good showing.

The Santa Clara win is huge for the RPI of the WCC. Getting a win like that will improve the entire conferences collective RPI and with a couple more big wins from the conference, could allow multiple teams into the NCAA tourney. Don't forget, even though the selection committee will take into account that UNC was not healthy and it was early, the RPI does not. Every game UNC wins from here on out, Santa Clara's and the WCC's RPI improves. Huge for a mid-major league. Even though league opponents battle it out during league games, they root hard for eachother during non-conferenct games.

Let's see if the league can get a couple of other great wins and make things interesting come tourney time...This will probably inflate all the teams RPI's in the league.

Can't believe I'm even mentioning the tourney right now :142lmao:

coolgi

coolgi424

Forum Member
Apr 25, 2004
New York City
San Fran is in OT with Stanford.

San Fran had a chance to win with 1.2 on the clock Stanford ran the baseline when it wasn't after a basket...unbelievable!!!

Had a good look at it but missed.

If San Fran wins this would be HUGE!!!

JCoverS

Forum Member
Jan 24, 2001
Maybe, just maybe, the WCC will begin to get some respect as a mid-major conference. I, for one, have never been of the theory that Gonzaga was the only good team to play in the WCC. It's just their dominance over the years that has really made it look that way to the general public. Those that follow this league much, realize that the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th finishers in this league year in and year out are not exactly slouches. In fact, I have thoroughly enjoyed following this league over the years. St. Mary's, Pepperdine, USF, Santa Clara, USD, etc., they are all fun to watch play. Good for the WCC...some of these "other" teams besides Gonzo deserve a little credit by now.

BTW, I have a feeling that if Marigney and Adjiwanou were playing for St. Mary's in this tournament Santa Clara might not have been the only one from the conference playing the role of spoiler. SMC did knock off Cal, but the huge impact from losing Marigney and Adjiwanou have caught up with them. Those were just two very big pieces of their team, especially offensively. Don't sleep on the Gaels, though. Once, and if, those two guys get back into their lineup...Watchout!

-JC

coolgi424

Forum Member
Apr 25, 2004
New York City
JCovors:

Agreed. I'm not sure how successful the other teams were against non-conference opponents though. Were there some wins against top 25 teams by teams other than Gonzaga? Really, the respect that the second, third, etc team gets is based on their conferences RPI. That RPI is based mainly on non-conference games. Once conference games start, it is difficult to improve.

How long are those guys out for St. Mary's?

JCoverS

Forum Member
Jan 24, 2001
Looks like the Dons shit the bed in OT and even lost the cover. OUCH! Lose by 10 in OT. That hurt my wallet. Hated to see OT....just knew it was coming. :rolleyes:

-JC

JCoverS

Forum Member
Jan 24, 2001
You're right, coolgi about those "other" teams not winning any biggies against Top 25 teams. St. Mary's put a scare in Arizona early last year, I believe but didn't pull out the victory.

Adjiwanou was suspended for the first four games of the year and the earliest Marigney would be back is Dec. 11th.

-JC

Bet on MyBookie