Big West tonight.

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Dax22

Forum Member
Feb 17, 2000
Utah
Tonight is going to be a tough night in the Big West becasue of the big numbers of the spread. The game that looks the best is the Idaho vs. LBST game in Idaho.

I'm on LBST -2

Idaho is the basement deweller on alot of stats in the BW. Three of the most alarming to me are they are last in

*in scoring margin (-10.8)
*last in FG %
*they are 9th in rebound margin (-5.0).

This Idaho team will have a HARD time out scoring LBST and it doesn't rebound well enough to get the extra chance they need to win. Both of these teams shoot alot of threes and LBST is 1st in the BWc in 3-pt FG%. I think LBST wins this game becasue of their superior back court play not only on the offensive end. On the Defensive end they are quicker and more aggresive. Idaho has only won 2 home games out of six the two wins were a one point win vs. Montana and the other was a 14point win against West Montana the first game of the season. The big problem with laying on LBST you never know which team is going to show up and play.

UCI vs. USU

USU -10.5 small wager

This number is too big for me to lay alot on it on I'm surpised it is that high but last year the Aggies were up by 21 points before Coach Morril called the dogs off. With the departure of New Mexico St, Boise St, and Nevada the Aggies have found UCI to be their big rival in conference play. The aggies will be up for this and the Spectrum will be ready to come apart at the seams. When ESPN comes to Logan the atomsphere is wild and the team really preforms. There is still alot of bad blood between these two from last year when UCI won in Irvine on a fluke call. I think the Aggies are the better team still then UCI and they are awesome at home. Aggies on ESPN: Utah State will be making its only regular season appearance on ESPN this Thursday when USU hosts UC Irvine. USU went 3-0 on ESPN last year defeating Long Beach State (76-60), Cal Poly (82-55), and Pacific (50-38) in the Big West Tournament championship game. Overall, USU has won 12 of its last 13 games that have been broadcast on ESPN.

Third-Longest Home Court Winning Streak In The Country: Utah State has won its last 31 games at home dating back to Jan. 8, 2000 which is the third-longest winning streak in the country. USU's last loss at home was a 82-73 decision to BYU. USU has won 43 of its last 44 games at home. Michigan State leads the country with a 53-game winning streak at home, while Detroit has won 35 in a row. Utah State is third with its 31 wins in a row, which is a USU school record.

Home Sweet Home: Utah State has had tremendous success at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum since the building was opened for the 1970-71 season. In its first 30 years, USU has had only one losing season at home, with a 3-8 record during the 1981-82 year. All-time, USU is 345-96 (.782) at home. Over the past six seasons, USU has compiled an incredible 76-3 (.962) record at home.

RPI: Along with Utah State's 11-2 record, the Aggies have a RPI of 19 in the country following its road win at UC Santa Barbara over the weekend. USU has also defeated Utah on the road and BYU at home, teams with RPI's in the top 100.

Aggies Own The Boards: Utah State has dominated the boards thus far this season, outrebounding every team it has played. On the year, USU has a 9.3 rebounding advantage over its opponents.

THe Aggies will win tonight becasue of their superior defense and rebounding. Jerry Green is a stud and can light a team if given a chance but with the D that the aggies play he will have to work extra hard to get his. The 7 footer that UCI has is improving and will get better but, he is overmatched with Penigar and Vauge. Both Vague and Penigar are ALOT more athletic and can draaw him out with their shooting skills.

Dax22

Forum Member
Feb 17, 2000
Utah
I will also have a small play on Cal Poly +8

I can't figure this one out. Which is the reason for the small play Pacific is horrible down low they don't rebound well they don't block shots ( only have total of 3 in three league games), and they are last in turnover margin. This team has attempted the least amount of free throws in the whole league which shows they relie to much on their shooting. Unstead of working in down low and banging they are throwing it up alot. Cal -Poly proved they can beat a good team with the win over USU last week at home. I just see giving Pacific 8 points is way too much. Now Cal-Poly isn't a great rebounding team either but they are more aggresive and hit the boards more and muscle it more then UofP. Basically Cal-Poly is going to try to work the ball up quick and keep the pace fast and I believe Cal will give the Tigers all they can handle on the defensive side. Pacific has played well at home and this might be why the number is so big. Take Cal- poly and the 8 points and run.

Any help or info on this one would be great.

ddubs

Let's Go Boilers!!!
Forum Member
Oct 22, 2000
The Windy City
Nice write-ups, Dax. I'll be riding the Anteater train tonite, though. The reasons being that UC Irvine has won 20 of its last 21 Big West Conference games dating back to the 1999-2000 season. The one loss was to Utah State (67-52) in Logan last season (Feb. 8, 2001). The loss to Utah State was arguably the reason they were left out of the tourney last year, although ending the season with 2 straight losses certainly hurt. I think they'd remember that. And UCI has much lesser national exposure than USU, thus this is a big statement game for them. Logan is not a friendly place to play in, but I will have to take the DD and root for the Anteaters.

Go ZOT!! :drinky:

Good luck to you though, one of us will win.;)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Daydreaming

Forum Member
Nov 16, 1999
Concrete jungle
Great analysis Dax

Great analysis Dax

keep em coming. We need more great analysis like this and less people braggin with no back up with information. I don't always post analysis, but sure enjoy reading quality stuff like this.

GOOD LUCK OR SKILLS