Bobby Knight just equated Gatorade with steroids.

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
Bob Knight: Gatorade Is a Performance-Enhancing Substance3
Comments
Say Something ?

1/11/2010 4:15 PM ET By Michael David Smith

PrintAText SizeE-mail More
Michael David Smith
Michael David Smith is FanHouse's Lead Blogger
I'm not sure why ESPN turns to Bob Knight for commentary when a baseball player uses steroids, but it does -- and Knight has an interesting perspective on the subject.

When asked on Baseball Tonight what he thinks of Mark McGwire admitting to using steroids, Knight said he doesn't understand the distinctions between substances that enhance performance and are legal, and other substances that enhance performance but are illegal.

"I have a different approach to performance-enhancing drugs than a lot of people do," Knight said. "My question is, Who decides what can be used and what can't be used, and on what basis is that decision made? You know, Gatorade is a performance-enhancing substance. It replaces electrolytes in the human body that are used up through extreme exercise. So I've always had a really skeptical approach to all this performance-enhancing stuff."

Knight made similar comments last year about Alex Rodriguez, and I think he's got a fair point: Our society has drawn some rather arbitrary lines on which substances athletes are permitted -- even encouraged -- to put into their bodies, and which substances athletes are prohibited from putting into their bodies.

None of this excuses McGwire violating the law or the rules of baseball, as Knight acknowledged. But I'm glad Knight is pointing out that the Congress and the media have gone overboard in their condemnation of athletes who have used certain substances.

Yeh Bobby good thinking there. Defend these asswipes.

Media and Congress going overboard for those that have used certain substances. :scared

No just the ones that blow you up like a bull and allow you to hit home runs out of the stadium

this world is just fawked up

Bet on MyBookie