Bos/Tor gm 1

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Valuist

Forum Member
Aug 21, 2001
Mt. Prospect, IL
After Pedro, the knuckler should be even tougher to hit than normal. The Jays lose their 2nd biggest run producer; you pitch around Delgado and make the rest of that lineup beat you. I'm going under 9.5.

TJBELL

Forum Member
Jul 22, 2001
Port Richey, Florida
seems like the betting public likes the over. have to think about this one for a bit. maybe a letdown with Raul leaving.

anyone care to chime in as well?? :shrug:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Terryray

Say Parlay
Forum Member
Might not Toronto respond big after getting over initial shock the way the Tribe did?

from Blair in Globe and Mail....."The trade was completed 20 minutes before the start of the game. Mondesi had been in the starting lineup, batting third, and went about his pregame business apparently unaware of the impending deal. When the game started, Jose Cruz Jr. was in right field and hitting second, with Eric Hinske dropped from second to third.

Even general manager J.P. Ricciardi seemed a little surprised after the deal was made. "Honestly, I never thought [the Yankees] would want Mondy ?not because of the player he is but because of the money involved," Ricciardi said. "But I guess if George [Steinbrenner] wants a guy, he goes out and gets him."

but maybe team in for rough period of losing good guys. Delgado is hoped (by management) to be next. This from Simmons in Tornto Sun:

"Finding a home for Carlos Delgado and convincing him it's time to say goodbye. As if $17.2 million US for being mediocre on a terrible team wasn't enough to satisfy Delgado when the Jays signed him, this guy wanted, and received, a no-trade agreement along with the money.

Apparently, he likes Toronto or losing or playing where there isn't any expectation or pressure. Apparently, he wants a dollar or two more to give us his no-trade agreement.

And that is assuming the Jays can find another sugar daddy just like the New York Yankees, who last night gobbled up Raul Mondesi and most of the $18.5 million remaining on the contract Ricciardi inherited when he took over as general manager last winter. "

full story here..........................http://www.canoe.ca/Slam020702/col_simmons-sun.html

of course Toronto's Carpenter is no great shakes here. This from ticker preview:

"The righthander started at Boston on Opening Day and failed to hold a 7-1 lead as he was
pounded for six runs and six hits in 2 1/3 innings. Carpenter is a New England native who grew
up rooting for the Red Sox and is 1-5 against them with a 5.75 ERA."

But then Toronto did win that Carpenter start opening day, tho the Sox have won all five meetings since.

But Toronto has won four of last six Carpenter starts.

Boston has lost 8 of Wakefield's last 10 starts, and lost his last two vs Toronto.

Toronto is 4-6 on road as dog between +150 to +175

Boston is 25-8 vs Division opponents

Just some thoughts that lead to no conclusion.....
an_burningbag.gif

Last edited:

TJBELL

Forum Member
Jul 22, 2001
Port Richey, Florida
Thanks Terry! MY eyes :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Maybe have to think some more. Snap.....oh, another Stoly Citrona....3 days off and would love to grab some day action :D

THANKS MAN!!!! TOM

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Valuist

Forum Member
Aug 21, 2001
Mt. Prospect, IL
OK, so you made your points for the over. Here's points for the under:

Toronto median # runs scored on the road: 4
Boston median # runs scored at home: 4

Damon 5 for 29 (.172) vs Carpenter with 1 extra base hit
Daubach 4 for 20 (.200) vs Carpenter
Sanchez 2 for 11 (.182) vs Carpenter
Nomar is .364 vs him but only 1 HR
Delgado is .235 vs Wakefield w/only 2 HRs in 51 ABs
Cruz is 6 for 35 (.171) vs Wakefield; all singles
only 4 players on Tor have more than 3 ABs vs Wakefield.

Hailmary

Forum Member
Dec 1, 2000
Charlotte, NC, US
Sorry Time, GL on all your others though

Wakefield has pitched a hell of alot more innings than Carpenter this year and is alot more conditioned IMO. Wake brings in a WHIP of 1.1 and an ERA of 2.7 and has allowed 41 hits in 60 innings pitched vs. Carp posting a 2.0 WHIP and a 7.88 ERA while allowing 24 hits in 16 innings pitched. ADV.-WAKEFIELD/BOSTON
The bullpens couldn't be more different (only talking about available BP from here on):
Toronto's BP is posting a WHIP of 1.54 and an ERA of 5.17 and the last three outings they are posting a whoping 2.18 WHIP with an ERA of 9.32 while Boston's pen is posting a WHIP of 1.35 and an ERA of 3.93 and over the last three they post a WHIP of 1.35 and an ERA of 0.69. Even if we assume that they both snap back to normal that means Toronto is back to ONLY giving up 5 runs while Boston balloons back up to allowing 4. ADV.-BOSTON

Some recent trends are:
TOR is 4-2 in Carpenter's last six starts.
The over is 7-2-1 in Carpenter's last 10 starts.
TOR is 4-9 in their last 13 on the road.
BOS is 2-8 in Wakefield's last 10 starts.
The over is 6-1 in the last seven meetings.
BOS is 4-10 in their last 14 at home.

Hitting (both vs. righties):
Toronto is avg. .244 with an on base % of .316 while Boston is averaging .276 with an OBP of .338 The rest of the hitting stats look pretty even. Adv- SMALL TO BOSTON

UMP:
BILL HOHN
Strike % 62.7% avg. 10.2 runs/gm
Starter runs 6.47, BP runs 3.73 and has a record of 9-5 this season favoring the over. He has a record of 9-6 favoring the home team.
ADV. BOSTON

Conclusion:
I thing that Boston is going to give this team fits today. Mondesi is gone and he was their best run producer and now its all up to Delgado. I am going to take my chances and lay the wood this morning on Boston -175. I hope it pans out cause this could be closer than expected.

GL & PEACE, HAIL :D

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Goiing Gone

Forum Member
May 13, 2002
WIS
Well I was not even in the ball park as it certainly seems that it was alot tougher rather than easier to hit that knuckler even though my play was more based on sox doing the most damage but neither panned out,, :(

Goiing Gone

Forum Member
May 13, 2002
WIS
Hail -value

You guys were all over this gm, low score with sox on top in a close one , very nice , I'm throwing some more up later all ops welcome:D

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg