Boxing; 9/3/2011; Berto-Zaveck; HBO

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

fastfrank

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2010
desert southwest
Berto is a 5-1 chalk. Think its a little overpriced but he is the right side here. Problem is I cannot/will not ever lay that kind of lumber. So what to do? Either parlay Berto, or round prop it. That is also a little vague, depending on what type of Berto we get. After that carnage with Ortiz, who knows? The OVER 9.5-140 seems to be the play; also Berto INSIDE as a hedge. This Zaveck chap doesn't have what I would call very fast hand speed. He is also like 35, and 2cm(1 inch) shorter than Berto. Also Zaveck may not be in his comfort zone first time in the states. And the guy he beat for the "title", Hlatshwayo, was'nt even world class. How the hell did he get a title? He gets waxed by Zaveck in 3! If Berto isn't damaged goods he can stop this guy. So its over 9.5-140, or parlay Berto, or Berto inside for a little back up. Also I doubt Zaveck stops Berto, and Zaveck by decision is 8-1. :00x21
PS: I just checked my pending wages and I bet Berto inside @+144. Now its -120.

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

fastfrank

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2010
desert southwest
The new comedy team...

The new comedy team...

Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome the comedy team of thong & weasel! At least its a catchy moniker, I'd say:scared

Zerwas

Forum Member
Jul 19, 2007
yep, and their avatars would be fitting as well!!
:0074

BTW, I'm not sure if Zaveck is the best guy to come back against! At the very least he is tough and willing! I'm sure he will be in top shape!
If Berto is at his best, he should win...and the homeadvantage is a big factor as well...

@frank
I had pretty much the same train of thought!
I played over 8/9/9.5 and then hedged a bit with Berto inside +144 and under 9.5!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
yep, and their avatars would be fitting as well!!
:0074

BTW, I'm not sure if Zaveck is the best guy to come back against! At the very least he is tough and willing! I'm sure he will be in top shape!
If Berto is at his best, he should win...and the homeadvantage is a big factor as well...

@frank
I had pretty much the same train of thought!
I played over 8/9/9.5 and then hedged a bit with Berto inside +144 and under 9.5!

i was wondering why frankie thought hlatschwayo was such a soft touch.....i always thought he was a capable,tough guy at the appropriate weight(although that ben rabah early tko was puzzling to me)....:shrug:

fastfrank

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2010
desert southwest
Weasel; I say that about Hlatschwayo as he WAS something of a force, and seemed to lose whatever made him a good fighter over night. He did have some names on his resume, but he looked horrible versus Zaveck, and his next 2 fights were versus what I would call scrubs. Maybe I was a tad harsh, but he wins the IBF title from a vacancy, and he beat Delvin Rodriguez, who as we all know does just enough to almost win, to get it. Guess I just felt he looked so bad in the Zaveck fight that I over reacted. But you never let me get away with anything around here anyway!

Zerwas

Forum Member
Jul 19, 2007
Agreed!

Isaac seemed to have lost his abilty over night, maybe his fights against Delvin were very tough for him!!!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

fastfrank

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2010
desert southwest
Berto comment; need some help here...

Berto comment; need some help here...

"I know there are a lot of Victor Ortiz questions and that is fine but Jan Zaveck is coming over and he?s trying to defend his title. I have to give him the respect he deserves, that?s to make him noticed and to make him recognized as a champion.?
This is part of an interview with Berto but I do not understand his meaning here. He has to "make him noticed and make him recognized as a champion"? Huh? Sounds like the OVER 9.5 to me! Or does it just mean Berto is going to make it look like a tough fight, and win the belt but get recognition for doing so by beating a champion he helped look good:shrug: ? Read the interview at Maxboxing yourself if you want, because it's vague as all hell, to me anyway.

fastfrank

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2010
desert southwest
The more film I watch of Zaveck, the more I see Berto getting off a lot, and counter punching with serious results. Zaveck's last few foes I don't feel have prepared for what Berto COULD bring to the table, if Berto isn't damaged goods after Ortiz. He is still young enough to have recovered most likely. I think once Berto finds his range and times Zaveck, it will start to break down the champ.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

fastfrank

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2010
desert southwest
Partial interview with Randall Bailey

Partial interview with Randall Bailey

Bailey has been the mandatory to Zaveck for sometime now and could have taken the fight with Zaveck, but instead he chose to step aside and allow the fight between Zaveck and Berto to take place first. Whoever pulls out the victory Saturday night, Bailey will be next in line for a crack at the title. Continued ?
So maybe Bailey took "step aside" money to set up a much larger payday for both fighters, as Berto/Bailey would generate much more money than Bailey/Zaveck. If this means anything at all, it points to a win for Berto. Also perhaps Zaveck is being paid a tidy sum(I don't know) and he isn't getting any younger, so he feels its a good deal for him.

THE_THONG

Forum Member
May 2, 2008
Victoria's Secret
i don't see zaveck catching more than michael trabant did

trabant took all berto's punches and kitchen sink with no offense reply

fastfrank

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2010
desert southwest
Most amazing thing is the photo at fightnews.com. Zaveck is pointing to Berto who is mostly holding Zaveck's belt!! This is preposterous. Who the fuck is the belt holder RIGHT NOW! Zaveck last I heard. Go check it out. I mean its like he already lost and is congratulating Berto! WTF!!!!

Buck Swope

Forum Member
Apr 14, 2006
I just don't see it

They're importing some 35 year old pale Slovak against a kid who was supposed to be the nuts about 6 month ago.

Maybe I am biased because I have always liked Victor Ortiz so I see that as a high quality loss.

Unless Zaveck brought over some lovely 21 year old Slovak girls for Berto, I just do not see how this does not turn into a mauling.

Under 9.5 +110 (quintuple pop)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
I just don't see it

They're importing some 35 year old pale Slovak against a kid who was supposed to be the nuts about 6 month ago.

Maybe I am biased because I have always liked Victor Ortiz so I see that as a high quality loss.

Unless Zaveck brought over some lovely 21 year old Slovak girls for Berto, I just do not see how this does not turn into a mauling.

Under 9.5 +110 (quintuple pop)

i can see it....berto actually a tad taller.....ashamed you couldn`t just find berto itd....

but berto`s a strange bird....you`d think he`d be uber-prepared after the ortiz emabarrasment...