Brewed my first batch tonight....

taoist

The Sage
Forum Member
I would have put this in the "Hittin' the Brews" thread, but it would have only gotten lost....

I brewed my first batch of homebrew tonight.... A "coffee stout" which should be primed and ready for the drinking in about 6-8 weeks...maybe a little longer depending. It's sitting quietly in the fermenter for now.... :SIB

I realize that most of you don't give a shit, but some of the "real" beer drinkers in the forum might take an interest.... Fuk it, it's a down time for me betting, so why not start a new hobby?!?!? :shrug:

I'll keep you updated on the progress.... :0corn

Dice34

Off parole
Forum Member
Dec 18, 2004
D.O.C.
nice, keep us posted............i'll do some sampling

oh and you still look like kurt busch

Dice34

Off parole
Forum Member
Dec 18, 2004
D.O.C.
i'm just bustin.......

but i'll be lookin for your updates.....that coffee stout sounds good.....

redsfann

ale connoisseur
Forum Member
Aug 3, 1999
Somewhere in Corn Country
Next up is a Nut Brown.... I'd like to get it started before the weekend is over so that they are on the same time frame.... Updates to follow. :)

Are you brewing using a "kit" or are you boiling the wort, etc, etc?

The kits are easy but don't produce that good of beer, IMO. While much more time consuming, brewing using all raw ingredients is the way to go.

I home-brewed for quite a while ending about 15 years ago when the home-brewing craze was big around Iowa City where I lived at the time.

I belonged to a club and many of my friends also brewed their own beer. That was great as you could get tips on the brewing process from other home-brewers and you got to sample many experimental brews--some good, some not so good...
It was a very time-consuming hobby, but when done right, the beer is great and the cost per case is significantly less than buying it at the store.
One tip. Make sure you thoroughly clean all your bottling equipment and bottles--the slightest contamination will ruin all the hard work you put into brewing your beer.
Nut brown ale; that sounds good. Will head out today and see if any of the local brewpubs have any on tap and grab myself a growler full if they do...:D

Cie

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 30, 2003
New Orleans
Sweet deal. I hope you're still gonna hit the nashville beer fest this summer. Maybe you'll enter the coffee stout ;). A buddy and I brewed a belgian white wednesday. I have brewed mead a couple of times in the past, but never beer. Mead is less hassle, but beer is worth the extra steps imo:toast:

taoist

The Sage
Forum Member
redsfan,

I'm doing partial extract brewing.... I'm boiling the wort and steeping the speciality grains, but don't think I'm entirely ready for all grain yet, but we may get there.... I've looked up the local Nashvill brew club and intend on checking into it for the comraderie. :)

Cie,

Probably won't be making an entry in the brewer's fest this summer, but I will definitely be there, as I have been for the last 4 years. I may want to pick your brain later on regarding mead, as a friend of mine has started a compatible hobby of keeping bees. I told him he may have to contribute some honey to the effort. :SIB

Dawgball,

She's bubbling along merrily this morning, just as expected. I'll let you know when it's tasting time, bro. :00hour

Doc,

Give me a call when you get a chance. We've got a lot to catch up on, my northern friend. :)

taoist

The Sage
Forum Member
I came home tonight and the damn thing has almost blown the top off of the fermentation bucket!!! :scared Good thing that I choose my extra shower for the cool dark place for my fermenter.... What a mess!!! (Easily cleaned up in the shower, but if that were on my carpet, whew!!!) However, I hope we weren't oxygen compromised too badly.... I sanatized it and it's still bubbling away.... We got some kick ass yeast going on, fellas! :00hour

Here's my new favorite t-shirt....

greenbeershirtback2.jpg

You know I am less than 30 minutes away... neighbor:mj07:

And I like beer :shrug:

:0corn

Did you think I was gonna leave you out, bro? I specifically stated herein above, "Taste testers apply here!" I figured you'd eventually stumble by... LOL

p.s. Stop using that damn icon!!! Makes me have the munchies! LOL :142smilie

Let us know how it comes out. Something I've always wanted to try.

What made you pick coffee?

I just like coffee...and I like dark "stout" beer.... Sounded like a good combo. Better than a "milk stout" right? (Actually, I kinda like those too.) :SIB

Bet on MyBookie