Broncos @ PACKERS

taxi driver

Forum Member
Aug 21, 2000
Biloxi MS USA
Broncos @ PACKERS:

Since this line is Denver -1, I'm going to look at Straight Up Records. This game has blowout written all over it. I don't even know where to begin.

Allow me to just rattle off some facts:

1.) Sherman is 1-3 SU in pre-season.

2.) Shanahan is 12-1 first two games pre-season, his only loss came on the heels of a 31-10 win.

3.) Shanahan is 20-8 all games, and 18-3 vs. NFC teams.

4.) Shanahan 2-1 vs. Green Bay Pre-Season.

5.) Denver practiced for the first time as a team at Invesco field before a crowd of over 20,000 Saturday.

6.) New Bronco DC Ray Rhodes a former Packer HC playing old team; will have field day 2nd half vs. Tolliver, Burris. Players describe his style as 'nastier'. No wonder Denver D held Pokes to 4 yards per attempt.

7.) This will be Denver's lone national television broadcast of the preseason.

8.) Packer Defense is in literal shambles and going against a very potent and very deep Denver Offense, complete with 2 starting QB's and 4 starting RB's. On top of that, look for the Bronco offense to be much more focussed this week after 7 penalties for 68 yards and 4 turnovers last week vs. Dallas in a game they completed dominated. Shanahan will have them focussed on better execution.

The Broncos last week committed 7 penalties and 4 turnovers and still won by two touchdowns. True the pokes are not the Packers, but make no mistake, believe it or not Dallas is playing some solid defense so far in pre-season and is atleast as good as the Packers current swiss-cheese style Defense.

Here's some numbers from last week. Broncos numbers are first, Dallas second:

First Downs 21 11

TOTAL NET YARDS 360 200
Average Gain Per Play 5.8 3.8
NET YARDS RUSHING 139 76
Average Per Rush 4.1 3.5
NET YARDS PASSING 221 124
Pass Completion 21-28 14-30 (75% for Denver)
Yards Per Pass 7.9 4.1 (doubled Dallas)
Had Intercepted 1 2
PUNTS 1 6
PENALTIES 7 7
Penalty Yards 68 59
Fumbles Lost 3 0
Time Of Possesion 33:45 26:15

I believe the Broncos will dominate in similar fashion tonight. While the Cheeseheads will be rocking, it doesn't change the fact that these guys are simply outgunned. With their defense virtually on crutches, the Pack will play to avoid injury.

In contrast, the Broncos will be focussed on offensive execution after last week's disaster (in Shanahan's mind), and I'll look for a strong defensive effort from former Pack HC Ray Rhodes vs. his old team who dissed him after merely one season.

To get Denver without laying wood is a gift...

4*Broncos -1 over Packers (4* up to -3, 3* if higher)

-dave

Denver - QB Rotation: Brian Griese, Gus Frerotte, Jarious Jackson. QB Steve Beuerlein is out eight weeks with an elbow injury. WR Keith Poole (hamstring), RB Terrell Davis (knee) will not play. Defensive secondary banged up with CBs Eric Davis (groin) and Willie Middlebrooks (knee), the team's top pick this season, unavailable.

Green Bay - QB Rotation: Brett Favre, Doug Pederson, Billy Joe Tolliver, Henry Burris. The Packers are hurting. RB Dorsey Levens will not play and WR Antonio Freeman has recovered from an injury, but may be held out. Defense very banged up. Defensive linemen Russell Maryland, Santana Dotson, Steve Warren, Vonnie Holliday, Jamal Reynolds (#10th pick in the draft) are all expected to miss the game, as is CB Bhawoh Jue.

beertime

Forum Member
Aug 22, 2000
denver
i agree withya taxi this should be a mismatch. i piled denver at -1 hoping when i get home before the game its -3.5 so i can hedge back part as a backup.
im playing the action points at wsex up to fifteen points on denver.ive never played these before but seems like a decent situation to try it.
im curious if you or anyone plays these very often? example is i bet 33/30 for every point the broncos cover the 1.5 by. so roughly if the broncos win by 10 i make 300 and if they lose by 10 i lose 330.up to 15 points eitherway.
anyhow good to see you like denver also lets reel er in..

4bubba

Forum Member
Jun 10, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
If this was the regular season I would totally agree. Den would have 30 points by halftime.
However this isnt the reg season. I thought
TB would run over Cle, even if they didn't try (and they didn't).
Farve is going to play the entire 1st half. On Mon night football he will be tempted to air it out (as will pederson and Tolliver).
Den sounds like they intend to run the ball the majority of the 2nd half.

------------------
indecision is the KEY to flexibility

coldbeer4soul

Forum Member
Both Green and Levins out for GB. , Rondell Mealey is the top candidate to work with the No. 1 offense, though De'Mond Parker and Herbert Goodman are expected to play extensively also.

Mealey, Parker and Goodman are battling for the No. 3 halfback job, and Mealey is the leading contender.

BearDownAZ

Registered
Forum Member
Jan 24, 2001
Tucson, AZ, USA
taxi-

Funny, you and I are in total agreement again. I wanted to jump on this game HUGE last night at -1 and am now pissed to find the line at -3! I'm still on Denver, but will take a little off this bet and make it a normal solid play.

Even if GB was injury free and ready to play this game, I'd be on the Broncs. . . here's to a nice easy win for us tonight instead of losing our nice teaser in OT!

TheBlackCloud1

Forum Member
Aug 12, 2001
Sunset Beach, Ca, USA
I agree with most of what you say, however, I would have to say that any stats gained against Dallas need to be looked at with a grain of salt. One thing I have been burned by is the fact that games like this that look so potentially one-sided never play that way in the nfl.

UMRebel

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2001
MS
BlackCloud,

I agree man! Last year there was this one game where everyone was on on a Monday Night. There was so many people on it that it seemed like a lock. By me saying this, I know you guys knew what happened. All of us got burned! And this is a preseason game! Take caution you guys that are hammering on Denver! I was leaning towards the Packers all week and will probably stay with my first reaction. I hope all goes well. As always, GL to everyone!

Tony

Bet on MyBookie