Brown?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
I'm going to think about this one for a while and give you guys my opinion later this afternoon on who to play.

After their home loss to Brown last weekend, Yale lost to Army on Monday. This is not a good sign for Yale fans. Army ranks #320 of 327 Div 1 teams in Sagarin's ratings.

Yale couldn't/didn't try to penetrate to the basket as they launched 31 shots from the arc (of 53 FG attempts), just missing their school record for 3 pt attempts by one. They lost because they only hit 10 of these.

Brown had a poor early season, going 1-7, but much of their poor early play was a result of an injury to star Earl Hunt which he tried to play thru. Now that he's 100% I think they're a much better team. Jason Forte, younger brother of Sonics guard Joe, is really coming into his own as a good PG. And the team seems to be putting behind them some of the personal problems that they had last year. Also Brown is small and their recent shift to a four guard O seems to be working.

I don't know what to make of Yale. Personally I think their recent problems have been due to the absence of Gamboa from the line-up due to his appendix surgery on 1/11. Gamboa was Ivy rookie of the year last year, he's been replaced now by Leanza at point who had been the starting PG before Gamboa. Leanza is a decent shooter and ball handler but he doesn't play D.

Gamboa was Yale's leading scorer in the game at Brown last year.

Yale has never stopped Hunt before, I'm not sure how they will tonite.

History says Yale should win. But I think Brown will be in this one until the end.

Later.

- Jon

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
No question that the smaller Brown will get outrebounded but if Yale can't score they can't win.

Yale has had real problems making shots in their last few games.

With the exception of the game vs RPI where they were 42/65; the rest of their L5 featured some pretty dismal shooting: 23/53, 21/55, 22/58, 19/59.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
Gamboa is not starting.

He's listed as a reserve but he hasn't played since the appendix operation so even if he plays I don't think it will be for many minutes.

Wish I had more for you but I don't.

- Jon

chuckles

Forum Member
Sep 6, 2002
ny
I think Yale was very distracted by the loss of several student athletes in a car accident last Friday. The game with Brown last week was changed to Saturday due to the accident and other campus activities were canceled. No one was in a playing mood and this carried over into Monday vs. Army. I think that this will be a breakout game for Yale with them winning by 6 - 8 pts.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
Lewey: Update on Gamboa

Lewey: Update on Gamboa

Just heard from one of my friends up in New Haven who told me that Gamboa practiced with the team yesterday and that he has been cleared to play tonight. He won't start but he will play, my friend didn't know how much.

- Jon