Bush Eases Environmental Rules on Gasoline

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/st...ff/story/0001/20060425/1803185129.htm&sc=1151

Bush Eases Environmental Rules on Gasoline
By NEDRA PICKLER

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush on Tuesday ordered a temporary suspension of environmental rules for gasoline, making it easier for refiners to meet demand and possibly dampen prices at the pump. He also halted for the summer the purchase of crude oil for the government's emergency reserve.

The moves came as political pressure intensified on Bush to do something about gasoline prices that are expected to stay high throughout the summer.

Bush said the nation's strategic petroleum reserve had enough fuel to guard against any major supply disruption over the next few months.

``So, by deferring deposits until the fall, we'll leave a little more oil on the market. Every little bit helps,'' he said.

Wholesale gasoline futures prices for June delivery dropped 8 cents a gallon to $2.10 on the New York Mercantile Exchange immediately upon Bush's remarks.

Easing the environment rules will allow refiners greater flexibility in providing oil supplies since they will not have to use certain additives such as ethanol to meet clean air standards. The suspension of oil purchases for the federal emergency oil reserve is likely to have only modest impact since relative little extra oil will be involved.

The high cost at the pump has turned into a major political issue, with Democrats and Republicans blaming each other for a problem that is largely out of Congress' control. Republicans are worried that voters paying more than $3 per gallon would punish the party in power. Democrats want to make that happen.

Democrats sought to turn gas prices - like Hurricane Katrina and the Iraq war - into an issue that hurts Bush's standing with voters. ``What happen to Iraq oil, Mr. President? You said Iraqi oil would pay for the war. Ain't seen no money. Ain't seen no oil,'' Sen. Barbara Mikulski of Maryland said.

``Families are gripped by the fear of rising gas prices,'' she added.

At the same news conference, New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez proposed a 60-day suspension of the gasoline tax, saying the money could be recovered by repealing tax breaks for energy companies. He scoffed at Bush's call to curb tax breaks for the oil companies.

``What we're left wondering today is why it took five years'' for Bush to support tax increases on the energy industry, Menendez said.

Bush, in his speech, urged Congress to revoke about $2 billion in tax breaks over 10 years that Congress approved and he signed into law to encourage exploration. ``Taxpayers don't need to be paying for certain of these expenses on behalf of the energy companies,'' Bush said.

He also urged lawmakers to expand tax breaks for the purchase of fuel-efficient hybrid automobiles.

The president said Democrats in the past have urged higher taxes on fuel and price caps to control fuel expenses, but he said neither approach works. Instead, he called for increased conservation, an expansion of domestic production and increased use of alternative fuels like ethanol.

Bush said high energy prices are disturbing.

``Our addiction to oil is a matter of national security concerns,'' the president said in a speech to the Renewable Fuels Association, which advocates alternate energy sources. ``After all, today we get about 60 percent of our oil from foreign countries. That's up from 20 years ago, where about 25 percent of our oil came from foreign countries.''

Bush said gasoline prices are expected to remain high throughout the summer and ``that's going to be a continued strain on the American people.''

Bush said the Federal Trade Commission, the Justice Department and the Energy Department were investigating whether the price of gasoline has been unfairly manipulated. The administration also contacted all 50 state attorneys general to offer technical assistance to urge them to investigate possible illegal price manipulation within their jurisdictions.

During the last few days, Bush asked his Energy and Justice departments to open inquiries into whether the price of gasoline has been illegally manipulated.

It's unclear what impact, if any, Bush's investigation would have on prices that are near or at $3 a gallon or more. Asked if Bush had any reason to suspect market manipulation, White House press secretary Scott McClellan responded, ``Well, gas prices are high right now, and that's why you want to make sure there's not.''

The administration sent letters Tuesday to state attorneys general urging them to vigorously enforce state law ``against any anticompetitive, anticonsumer conduct in the petroleum industry.''

``Consumers around the nation have expressed concerns about what they have perceived as anticompetitive or otherwise unfair conduct by the world's major oil companies,'' said Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and Federal Trade Commission Chairman Deborah Platt Majoras. Their letter said federal agencies had substantially increased efforts to monitor, detect and prevent any violations of the law.

House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., and Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., urged Bush in a letter Monday to order a federal investigation into any gasoline price gouging or market speculation.

``There is no silver bullet,'' Frist said Tuesday on ABC's ``Good Morning America,'' but ``we need to make sure that any efforts at price-gouging be addressed and addressed aggressively.'' Meanwhile, Frist said, consumers should take steps to conserve gasoline - drive at slower speeds, tune up car engines for maximum efficiency and carpool.

Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid of Nevada dispatched his own letter, calling for a multi-pronged approach to restrain gas prices.

On the Net:

White House: http://www.whitehouse.gov

Energy Department: http://www.doe.gov

Justice Department: http://www.usdoj.gov

04/25/06 18:03 ? Copyright The Associated Press.

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
My guess is this will not trickle down to the consumer, it will only increase profits for oil comapanies even more - and worsen our air quality at the same time.

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
Bush never gave a chit about the environment so that had to be easy for him.

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
I think we have a bingo here. Looks like they are getting just what they want.

buddy

Forum Member
Nov 21, 2000
Pittsburgh, Pa.
If President Jethro relaxes environmental rules for refineries, I'm laying 5-2 softer environmental laws for steel mills and chemical plants aren't far behind. Remember when Pittsburgh was the filthiest city in the nation? Hello!

dr. freeze

BIG12 KING
Forum Member
Aug 25, 2001
Mansion
Why shoudl the federal government make these rules

If Pittsburgh or Baytown, Tx doesnt want to be the filthiest city in the nation than they should be able to make their own decisions without the feds telling them what to do

buddy

Forum Member
Nov 21, 2000
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Before there was an Environmental Protection Agency, before there was an Earth Day, before Rachel Carson wrote "Silent Spring," there was Donora.

Donora is a small industrial town south of Pittsburgh which experienced this nation's worst pollution disaster 50 years ago, before any of our major environmental laws were written.On the evening of October 26, 1948, the people of that working class community went to bed not knowing that a suffocating cloud of industrial gases and dust would descend upon them like some biblical plague during the night.

Twenty residents died and half the town's population -- 7,000 people ? were hospitalized over the next five days with difficulty breathing. The cloud, a poisonous mix of sulfur dioxide, carbon monoxide and metal dust, came from the smokestacks of the local zinc smelter where most of the town worked.

The Donora tragedy shocked the nation and marked a turning point in our complacency about industrial pollution and its effect on our health. Donora made the survival of area residents, not to mention the economic revival of the Pittsburgh area, an imperative.

This Wednesday, 50 years later, a memorial service at Our Lady of the Valley church will honor the innocent victims of the Donora Smog.

This memorial serves the memory of those who lost their lives by affirming the lessons learned and by celebrating the progress made in cleaning our air nationwide. The Monongahela River mill town that taught the world that pollution kills has become an icon for clean air.

Nearby Pittsburgh has long had to live with the stigma of being called the "smoky city." Newspaper editorials dating back to the mid-19th century decried the foul sooty air belching from iron and steel industry smokestacks and pressed for government action to control pollution.

Ordinances limiting smoke in the city were twice enacted at the turn of the century, but were later invalidated by the courts. Street lights were lit during the day to cut through the smoke until after World War II, when true enforcement of a 1941 smoke control ordinance began.

In 1945, anticipating the health problems from filthy air, newly elected Pittsburgh Mayor David Lawrence and financier Richard King Mellon, head of the Allegheny Conference on Community Development, pledged cleaner air as part of the "Renaissance" they envisioned for the city. A decade later, coal burning for home heating was outlawed and clean natural gas was piped to all homes. Industry began screening its emissions. And diesel engines replaced coal-fired locomotives and river boats by 1952.

By 1955, Pittsburgh's heavy smoke had cleared, its visible emissions reduced by nearly 97 percent. Delegations journeyed from far and wide to marvel at how it was done. Other industrial cities like St. Louis and Cincinnati, seeing the success of the Pittsburgh area, also took drastic steps to scrub their air and polish their national image. The results were equally remarkable.

As a result of civic action, Americans could now see, smell and, in fact, taste the improvements in their air. They would not settle for less. And in 1963, Congress passed the first federal Clean Air Act, then amended it in 1970 to give it teeth. States were now required to come up with plans for reducing pollution to meet federal clean air standards.

Since the passage of the 1970 Clean Air Act, we have removed 98 percent of lead from the air, 79 percent of soot, 41 percent of sulfur dioxide, 28 percent of carbon monoxide, and 25 percent of the smog soup now called ozone.

We've come a long way since Donora, but our work is not done. America no longer has black skies or belching smokestacks. Today's air quality problems are more insidious. We now understand how air pollution blows across state lines, how nitrogen oxide emissions from a coal-fired power plant in the Midwest can cause unhealthy levels of ozone smog for children living in the Northeast.

Ground-level ozone -- today's smog -- is still with us, and so is its associated health problems. An estimated 10 to 20 percent of all respiratory-related hospital visits in the Northeast can be attributed to ozone pollution. Cases of death among children from asthma have reached alarming levels and are on the rise.

Over the past year and a half, EPA has taken several important steps to keep the momentum moving forward. In July 1997, to better protect public health, EPA tightened the ozone standard and set a new standard for fine particles. Last month, the agency required 22 states and the District of Columbia to reduce their smog-causing nitrogen oxide emissions by 28 percent by the year 2003 -- that's 1.1 million tons.

Compliance with this new requirement means that 31 million Americans can breathe air that meets the nation's new health standard for ozone.

Whether it would have saved 20 lives in Donora in 1948, or will improve 31 million lives in the Northeast in 1998, it is clear that protecting air quality has become a healthy imperative. Special interests are trying to undo our improved air quality standards.

We may never return to the disastrous conditions of Donora, but we need to keep up the momentum to get clean, breathable air.

We can't live without it.

October 26, 1998

ImFeklhr

Raconteur
Forum Member
Oct 3, 2005
San Francisco
dr. freeze said:
Why shoudl the federal government make these rules

If Pittsburgh or Baytown, Tx doesnt want to be the filthiest city in the nation than they should be able to make their own decisions without the feds telling them what to do

I gotta agree in local decision making, but the environment is the ONE tricky issue that makes me squirm on federalism. Pittsburgh might choose to be filthy, but does a town nearby get any say in it? Of course that is what litigation is for, but is there actual accountability in such scenarios? We could have towns suing towns, and the responsible companies just going bankrupt and disappearing if an unfavorable ruling was administered.

A messy issue.

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
If we think in many case the industry would volunteer to clean it's self up. Good Luck. And it's fine to say states fix your problem. But that problem was and is national and to big. And doc you for sure know the saying. If you have'nt good health you have nothing. Don't matter how rich or poor. Everyone shares. Our planet needs to stay healthy.

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
If we could just get rid of the environment and middle class once and for all, then there would no longer be any barriers to the kind of corporate profits we've been denying our executives the last few decades. Damn these pesky obstacles!

Anyone been to a city in Mexico or China lately? I think that's the kind of air quality Dubya's shootin' for.

buddy

Forum Member
Nov 21, 2000
Pittsburgh, Pa.
My nephew was in China for two weeks back at the beginning of the year.

He said his most unforgettable memory was the smell.

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
What part was in?? Been there numerous times--granted the out door markets where they sell fish-frogs ect is somewhat rank--but smell like a rose compared to your inner city slums--and you can walk through them any time night or day without getting mugged-won't see any graffitti written anywhere--no welfare--you don't work you don't eat--the disabled are taken care of by family--however you do have to watch where you step as they are nortorious for cough up big hocker and spitting anywhere--that is pretty gross.
If you go DO NOT rent car--you'll be nervous wreck--their traffics lights are like ours however they all fly through red if no comimg.
--besides you can get taxi and driver for $8 a day.They have upscale restuarant in Nanning there with huge wall to wall aquariums all live seafood. No menu--you walk through and pick what you want. Sad thing was they had 2 large sea turtles (the protected species type)--bout 8 ft in diameter each--they had the saddest eyes being cooped up--cost to feed 13 people was about $30 USD--and they don't except tips.
Thier markets are pretty stout smell wise Buddy but there are some gorgeous places.If any interest I will post a few pics--got one of the turtle and some 6 foot sharks at retuarant.--they weren't to happy about it either--maybe they thought I was with PETA :)

Bottom line I'll take living in China over numerous places here--but hate that traffic. However if one is reliant of gov to take care them----into crime-drugs-alternate lifestles ect I would not reccomend it.

Last edited:

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
OK Dogs, Lemme get this right - you'd rather live in Communist China than many places in the US? I just want to make sure this is what you are saying.

ImFeklhr

Raconteur
Forum Member
Oct 3, 2005
San Francisco
I found myself suddenly intrigued at the idea of living in a country with no freedom, bad environment, corrupt officials at every level, and a concept of human politeness invented only to lure the olympic games.

BUT then I heard about having to leave my alternative lifestyle at the door... damn... so much for Xanadu.

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Buddy - great article on "donora". Thanks.

...China and "alternative lifestyles"....hmmm. Based on gender statistics since China began the 1 child laws, there will be many millions of Chinese males forced to choose between a lifetime of celibacy or an "alternate" lifestyle. The ratio of males to females among young adults and older children is 3-2!!! 3-2 in a country that big means that probably at least 50 million males of that generation will have NO HOPE OF A FEMALE PARTNER. ....I've been in many bars and clubs where I complained about the sausagefest, but this is ridiculous.

Based on genetic statistics, 5 million of those lonely 50 million will be fine - in fact they will have a surplus to select partners from....as long as the government and DTB will allow it that is. But what will happen to the other 45 million? .....All I know is I'd hate to run up against an army that size and that frustrated - they'd make Islamists seem like a friggin paintball fight.

Last edited:

ImFeklhr

Raconteur
Forum Member
Oct 3, 2005
San Francisco
smurphy said:
...China and "alternative lifestyles"....hmmm. Based on gender statistics since China began the 1 child laws, there will be many millions of Chinese males forced to choose between a lifetime of celibacy or an "alternate" lifestyle. The ratio of males to females among young adults and older children is 3-2!!! 3-2 in a country that big means that probably at least 50 million males of that generation will have NO HOPE OF A FEMALE PARTNER. ....I've been in many bars and clubs where I complained about the sausagefest, but this is ridiculous.

Based on genetic statistics, 5 million of those lonely 50 million will be fine - in fact they will have a surplus to select partners from....as long as the government and DTB will allow it that is. But what will happen to the other 45 million? .....All I know is I'd hate to run up against an army that size and that frustrated - they'd make Islamists seem like a friggin paintball fight.

a vienna sausagefest... oh yes... i went there

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
OK Dogs, Lemme get this right - you'd rather live in Communist China than many places in the US? I just want to make sure this is what you are saying.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Not only would prefer to but plan to --on probably short term 3 month basis--unless like I stated in other thread--things get further out of wack here with immigrants and taxes--then maybe reverse it 9 months there and 3 here.

Hanain Island (same latitude Hawaii)--Shenzen(mainland China next to Hong Kong) Macau--their Las Vegas equivilant--

All these places great weather-- $100,000 has buying power of about $400,000 in U.S. no crime.

Communications a little tough--but english is the 2nd language there--as it will be in CA and other liberal strongholds in a few years--;)

"(AP) SACRAMENTO California's state senators on Thursday endorsed Monday's boycott of schools, jobs and stores by illegal immigrants and their allies as supporters equated the protest with great social movements in American history.

By a 24-13 vote that split along party lines, the California Senate approved a resolution that calls the one-day protest the Great American Boycott 2006 and describes it as an attempt to educate Americans "about the tremendous contribution immigrants make on a daily basis to our society and economy."

Prefer kicked back atmosphere of Hanain my self but heres a little on Macau which thegamblers would like.
http://www.movingtomacau.com/page--6.html

---and you ask me wheter I'd rather live there or DC- San Fran NY--with dismal weather--30 times cost of living--disease/crime captals of the world--surely you jest :)

and back to original topic environment/gas

I chose PTR (China Petro) as my oil company stock of choice for 4 primary reasons
Buffett bought it
little chance of litigation costs
no environmental added costs
no whiners and gov intervention on profits

-----Gas Prices: While We Point Fingers, China Takes Action

Thursday , April 27, 2006

By Neil Cavuto

Just let it be known for the energy record: While Congress digs up oil companies' tax records, China's digging for something else: oil.

China is plunking down more than $4 billion to gain a foothold in key ******** oilfields.

This is on top of PetroChina's $800 million deal last year to tap up to 30,000 barrels a day of ******** crude.

And get this, it's spending billions more to explore for oil. Guess where? Here! Only miles off the Florida coast.

That's the same coast environmentalists prevented U.S. oil companies from tapping.

I don't know. All I do know is while we bicker, China bites at any and all oil opportunities it sees

Last edited:

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
I can understand your preference for living in very nice sections of China with the spending power provided by wealth accumulated in the US. So long as you don't confuse that lifestyle and opportunity with an actual advanced society. What we can do and buy in China is not at all the same for most Chinese people. It's not like they are a better place than the American cities you abhor simply because YOU can afford a great lifestyle there, insulated from crime and undesirable elements.

Please give info on the Florida oil drilling. Why would a US company be stopped from drilling, but a foreign one allowed. It can't possibly be that simple. Perhaps Bush changed the drilling rules there and China is willing to spend ? We know our oil companies will only spend government money.

kosar

Centrist
Forum Member
Nov 27, 1999
ft myers, fl
Didn't take long to find. Looks like Cuba is involved as well. Nice.

http://www.reedlink.com/SingleArticle~ContentId~59798~pub~CE.html

"A top U.S. chemical industry official is warning that Chinese companies may soon drill for oil and gas 50 miles off the U.S. coast. American Chemistry Council President Jack Gerard cited a production contract between Cuba?s state-owned Cubapetroleo and China Petroleum & Chemical Corp. (Sinopec) for Sinopec?s development of Cuban offshore oil reserves, noting that by longstanding convention the territorial waters boundary between the U.S. and Cuba is half the distance between the Florida Keys and Cuba?s coast, less than 100 miles. ?That means that a Chinese company is or will be drilling for oil and gas within 50 miles of the U.S. coast even though under U.S. policy American energy companies are barred from drilling along most areas of the U.S. coast,? Gerard said."

Bet on MyBookie