Caps Notes.....

• Thread starter Investment Executive
  • Start date
I

Investment Executive

Jagr very doubtful....defense is thin....
===============

Swollen Knee Could Send Caps' Jagr To Doctor
Jaromir Jagr is doubtful for this weekend's games against Anaheim and Phoenix due to a swollen knee that has made it difficult for him to walk.

Where: Arrowhead Pond
When: 10:30 p.m.
Records: Capitals 2-1-0; Mighty Ducks 1-3-0
TV: Comcast SportsNet
Radio: WTEM-980; WNAV-1430
Probable Goalies: Washington?Olaf Kolzig (2-1-0, 2.35 goals-against average); Anaheim?J.S. Giguere (0-0-0, 0.00)
Injuries: Washington?RW Jaromir Jagr (swollen knee) and D Brendan Witt (charley horse) are doubtful; C Jeff Halpern (knee stiffness) D Calle Johansson (sore back) and RW Joe Sacco (sore shoulder) are probable. Anaheim?G J.S. Giguere (groin strain) and RW Jim Cummins (infected ankle) are probable; D Niclas Havelid (sore knee) and C Samuel Pahlsson (sprained ankle) are questionable.

Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, October 12, 2001; Page D01

ANAHEIM, Calif., Oct. 11 -- Walking with a pronounced limp after injuring his right knee Wednesday night, Jaromir Jagr did not practice today with the Washington Capitals and his availability is listed by the team as "day-to-day."

Jagr, whose knee is badly swollen, is unable to bend his leg. Trainer Greg Smith treated Jagr's knee at the team hotel.

"I think I might have to go to the doctor," said Jagr, who was acquired from Pittsburgh in July. "I can't even walk."

Jagr, whose five-year, $60 million contract extension is expected to be announced when the team returns from this trip next week, is highly unlikely to play here against the Mighty Ducks Friday night or the Coyotes on Saturday in Phoenix.

In his third game with the Capitals, Jagr was taken down from behind by Rangers defenseman Igor Ulanov in the first period Wednesday. Ulanov fell on Jagr, who bent back severely as he was dragged across the ice, although no penalty was called. Ulanov later was ejected for cross-checking Steve Konowalchuk in the face, an infraction the Capitals believe will warrant a suspension.

"It was a dirty play," Jagr said. "He tripped me from behind and all of my weight went to the one knee. . . . I don't know how bad [the injury] is going to be."

General Manager George McPhee said Jagr, the NHL's top scorer each of the last four seasons, would not see a doctor Friday. However, sources said that if Jagr is not in less pain or cannot move more freely by Friday, the team will consider having Jagr evaluated either here or by team doctors in Washington. Jagr, who is tied for second on the team with four points (one goal and three assists), said he has not had a similar knee injury before and is uncertain how to gauge when he will return.

"It's day-to-day right now," McPhee said. "We'll see how it is in the next 36 hours and go from there. You don't really know how players are going to respond to these things, whether it's going to take him one day or one month. I don't know. He's sore, but again, I don't know how long it's going to take, I really don't. At this point we don't know what it is. . . . But our trainers don't think it's so serious we have to go to [a doctor] right now."

McPhee declined to comment on the status of Jagr's contract extension. The deal was all but completed last Tuesday, as reported in The Washington Post, with owner Ted Leonsis nearly announcing the new contract at a team function that evening, sources said. The sides have agreed to most of the principles of the contract, according to sources, but a few small details have not yet been finalized and the deal has not been verified by the league.

"When it's done, I'll comment on it then," McPhee said.

With Jagr unable to play, the Capitals recalled forward Chris Ferraro from Portland of the American Hockey League and sent enforcer Stephen Peat back to Portland to get more playing time (Peat was not penciled into the lineup for the duration of this trip).

Defenseman Brendan Witt, who also injured his leg when he was taken down from behind by the Rangers, missed practice as well. Witt, who left Wednesday's game with a charley horse above his knee, will try to participate in Friday's pregame skate and could return for the Friday's game.

Washington is hopeful that top defenseman Calle Johansson, Witt's regular partner, could return Friday. Johansson missed Wednesday's game after taking a crushing hit from Boston's Kyle McLaren but practiced hard today. Meantime, Witt was receiving treatment for his injury.

"I'll see how it feels [Friday]," Witt said. "I think it happened when I got slew footed [his leg kicked out from behind him] in the second period. I couldn't really get going out there and I just thought it would be better not to aggravate it any more or be a liability to my teammates."

Capitals Notes: Grinding winger Joe Sacco, who missed the last two games with a sore shoulder (minor preseason arthroscopic surgery), is optimistic about returning Friday after practicing today. . . . Jeff Halpern missed practice as a precaution because of stiffness in his legs. Against the Rangers, he was struck from behind in a hit that was similar to Witt's. . . . Journeyman defenseman Frantisek Kucera, who was a throw-in in the deal that brought Jagr to Washington, has been assigned to Sparta Prague in the Czech Elite League. Kucera, who makes $1.2 million this season, remains the Capitals' property but he is not in the team's plans. . . . Team officials believe Rangers defenseman Dale Purinton also deserves a suspension for his actions Wednesday. Purinton struck Peat in the face with his stick and instigated a fight in the first period. The NHL has been cracking down on stick infractions and blows to the head the last few years. Any decision will be made before Saturday, when the Rangers play their next game.

Sports Junkie

Forum Member
Sep 24, 2001
VA
The Rangers really put a hurting on us despite the final score. There was some questionable stuff going on in that one. Hoping the Caps don't fall back into their old ways while Jagr's out and rely on the PP as their only offense. I guess they have reason to at times since they are 35% on the PP so far. Witt being out really hurts this defense and the physicalness of the team in general. And with Peat now back in the minors, that leaves Simon as really the only other banger/enforcer type, and he really has not been the same since his shoulder problems. I think we'll know more tonight, but it would not surprise me if Jagr does not play again till they get back here vs. MON on 10/19.

Bet on MyBookie