Car/Mont Series Thoughts

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

PerpetualCzech

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
I think the linemakers are way off on their thinking for this series. Montreal is favoured at home by a slightly bigger margin than Carolina was. Carolina totally dominated the first 2 games (result notwithstanding) - that combined with the previous series where Carolina was better than a decent NJ team and Montreal's last 2 games against the Bruins where they were totally outplayed makes Carolina an excellent pick for the remainder of this series IMO.

Very strong play: Carolina Series winner at +125

saint

Go Heels
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
Balls Deep
Personally, I agree, and it has nothing to do with the fact that I am a hurricanes fan. I've been able to watch a lot of canes hockey this year, especially in the post season. I went to all 3 home games vs. NJ and the 1st 2 against the Habs. The canes outplayed them last night, should have won the game if not for Theodore and that 10 mins in the 1st period. The main problem for the hurricanes is twofold; lack of production and weeke's long rebounds in goal. They just can't score goals right now...something like 12 in their 8 post season games. That alone is a big reason why they might be +125 for the series. It also is because they are heading north for games 3 and 4. Keep in mind though that Carolina had a great road record this year. I can't remember off-hand...but I think they ended up w/ the 2nd best NHL road record (though i may be thinking of something else).

Theodore has been the difference this year, and if he keeps up his recent play, the Canes will have more trouble scoring. But who knows, he got rattled a little bit vs boston so it could happen.

Good luck in whatever you play

Chenker

Forum Member
Jul 2, 2001
CA
I really think that the Canes are going to have trouble in Montreal- to me this series comes down to home ice- The Canes have never experienced a playoff atmosphere like the one in Montreal (no, New Jersey is not even close). I think if the Canes can get 1 win in Montreal they can win the series but Thedore looks really sharp- IMO Canes lose on Tuesday but they could steal Game 4 or Game 6 (if the series goes that far).

good luck....

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Frogy

Forum Member
Nov 26, 2000
Quebec, Canada
PerpetualCzech i dont agree.

Yes Carolina outshut montreal but out of 46 shuts on goals for carolina 15 where thru scoring chances and out of montreal 16 shuts on goals 9 where real chances.
It oke to control the puck but time possesion and shuts on goals doesn't mean you are going to win the game, you have to look at the succes ratio of those shuts which is a key stat, even more when you are going against a hot goally.

just my opinion

jakejj

Forum Member
Nov 14, 2001
I can only see the HABS getting stronger as this series progresses! I have to agree with CHENKER, the CANES have little playoff experience and are going up to Montreal to play against a team rich in tradition and history. The CANADIENS will be fired up and the Molsen Centre will be rocking. The CANES have been shooting at THEODORE like crazy and have only managed to get 3 goals (1 on a 5 on 3
powerplay) in the first two games. THEODORE has the CANES frustrated and he will continue to frustrate the CANES for the remainder of the series. I can't see the CANES winning a game in Montreal, but I can see them coming back to Carolina down 3 games to 1 and winning game 5, going back to Montreal and losing game 6!

saint

Go Heels
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
Balls Deep
jake, I def respect your opinions, but don't confuse a City's inexperience with a Team's inexperience.

If you compare each team's roster for playoff experience, Carolina has a total of 861 games of NHL playoff experience while 901 for Montreal. Not that big of a difference. Yes, maybe the Cane's experience is loaded down w/ several vets, but they are much more experienced than most people think. Several players have experienced big pressure.

I do agree, though, that most of the young players on Carolina have never seen anything like montreal's fever for hockey and that might intimidate them come Tuesday.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg