MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

homerh

Forum Member
Jun 5, 2002
s carolina
16-13 +17.30
5-1 +13.70 last week

S. Carolina -7 5x

Making the Gamecocks my top play this week. Offense playing much better and defense giving up less than 10 @ home. Holtz will have 10 days to prepare for "Pillsbury Throwboy" and team should be focused. IMO the spread has been adjusted too much for Ky good performance with Fla. Gators are awful this year and doubt will have winning record.

Would like some input from you guys.

glta :D

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
homer

homer

you have my attention......i do like the way carolina is coming on....and i agree that florida isn`t much more than mediocre.....maybe give lou the benefit of the doubt here....i`m gonna look this one over a bit....

i see that the initial impulse on several boards is to take kentucky.....you may be on to something....

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Cie

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 30, 2003
New Orleans
Nice weekend Homerh. Keep it up.

I am leaning early to SC and Holtz with prep time. Lorenzon will make several poor decisions each game and the key is to capitalize on them.

GL............

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

USC Gamecock

Forum Member
Dec 5, 2000
Williams-Brice
This game has been the talk of the town ever since the UT game. There is one guarantee I will give for Thursday night. You will see one fired up crowd of 82,000 +, and you will see one fired up football team looking to avenge the UT loss. Look for Meat Summers to have another spectacular performance in the spotlight.

GLTA :D

USC Gamecock

Forum Member
Dec 5, 2000
Williams-Brice
If you are going to bet this game, check out this website, and more specifically, its "practice reports." One thing that I've learned since Holtz has been at USC is that if he says the team practiced well that week, then chances are they will play well (example-UT game).

If Holtz says they didn't practice well, then stay away b/c chances are they will play poorly. Holtz said all week before the UGA game that they were not practicing well, and we all know what happened in the ass whipping. Conversly, the week of the UT game, all Holtz could say was how well they had been practicing.

Of all the poor mouthing Holtz usually does, he's got one helluva barometer when it comes to how practice play correlates into game play. Hope Jack doesn't mind me posting the site...

www.uscsports.com (click on "Football" on left side and scroll down...the practice reports are done by date).

GLTA

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
gamecock

gamecock

i checked the site and i didn`t find holtz` remarks encouraging.....i have some change on the gamecocks and now i`m sorry i read his remarks:shrug: ....did i miss something?

forget my comment...i see there`s no report subsequent to 10/02....i`ll check back....thanks for the info....g.l.

Last edited:

Kdogg21

who?
Forum Member
Dec 8, 2001
Chicago,IL
Tough game for me to pick. Someone was telling me though that when Kentucky is on national TV, they have a good ATS record.

dont know were you could find that out.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

USC Gamecock

Forum Member
Dec 5, 2000
Williams-Brice
From a SC newspaper:

This time, honestly, Holtz is really worried

By Gary McCann The Herald
(Published October 7? 2003)

COLUMBIA -- To hear coach Lou Holtz tell it, South Carolina's defense is teetering on the brink of disaster as the Gamecocks prepare for Thursday night's nationally-televised home game against Kentucky.
"I'm greatly concerned," Holtz said during his weekly news conference on Monday. He called Sunday's practice "very disappointing" defensively. He criticized his defensive coaches for teaching "assignments" too much and failing to emphasize "technique" and "not teaching fundamentals."

He's greatly concerned about not creating enough turnovers and sacks or getting enough pressure on the quarterback.

Wonder how he'd feel if his defense wasn't ranked No. 8 in the country?

Here are the categories, numbers and rank for a defense that, at least in terms of numbers, looks pretty good:

? Points allowed: 15.6 per game, fourth in the SEC, No. 17 in the nation.

? Total defense: allowing 262.6 yards per game, fourth in the SEC and No. 8 nationally.

? Pass defense: allowing 144.2 yards per game, fewest in the SEC and No. 6 in the nation.

? Rush defense: allowing 118.4 yards per game, sixth in the SEC, No. 32 nationally.

Opponent first downs: 61 in five games, fewest in the SEC.

Opponent third-down conversions: 28.4 percent, third in the SEC.

Turnover margin: plus-3, fourth best in the SEC.

But the numbers, apparently, don't mean much to Holtz.

"I don't know where we are in the conference or in the country on defense," Holtz said. "I know this. We've got to get a lot better than what we are in a lot of different areas."

A couple of things do stick out about the defense.

They have only seven sacks in five games, and the opposition has scored 10 of 11 times, 90.9 percent, when getting into the red zone.

The Gamecocks (3-2, 0-2 SEC) haven't played since losing in overtime at Tennessee Sept. 27. Holtz had hoped the time off would get his team healthy and better prepared defensively. Neither has happened, he said.

"We've gone against our offense an awful lot," Holtz said, "and the offense has just moved the ball, which should never happen. We could not stop the scout squad running Kentucky's offense."

Holtz cites injuries as a major factor in the defensive play, and he announced another Monday.

Defensive end George Gause, who had combined with Moe Thompson to give the Gamecocks quite a 1-2 punch on the outside, will not play in Thursday's games. Gause suffered a knee injury against Tennessee. It was originally thought not to be that severe and that the week off would be enough to get him ready.

Holtz is not sure when Gause will be back and wishes he'd known about the situation sooner.

"Had I known or suspected or been more aware of his injury last week," Holtz said, "we would have made a permanent switch there. As soon as this game's over, that's going to receive our first priority, finding a rush end.

"We've got to find a permanent solution there."

Defensive lineman Eric Stroman, Holtz said, is expected to play some Thursday night, and that could help. Stroman suffered a broken foot in spring practice and has not played. If he progresses quickly, he could move into the line with Jason Capers, who is playing well, could slide into Gause's spot.

The line has already lost Preston Thorne for the season.

Injuries to linebackers Jeremiah Garrison (foot), Ricardo Hurley (ankle) and Launce Laury (knee) have also "discombobulated" the defense, Holtz said. Hurley and Laury were expected to start, but neither has played with any consistency. They're now listed on the depth chart at the same position, with Laury starting. Garrison has been steady, but missed some time, too.

And safety Rodriques Wilson started early in the year, but lost his slot to Andre Gause after a chest injury.

It leaves Holtz thinking about what might have been, which may be the reason he's not pleased with his defense.

"I'd like to see how good it could be," he said. "I thought that for a while we were coming on defense.. But we always get a setback.

"We've got a long way to go on defense, but having said that, we've also done some good things, and there are times when we are pretty good fundamentally."

USC Gamecock

Forum Member
Dec 5, 2000
Williams-Brice
From Coach Holtz's website:

Weekly Press Conference - October 6, 2003

Coach previews USC's Thursday night meeting with Kentucky

The South Carolina Gamecocks (3-2, 0-2) open a three-game Southeastern Conference homestand by hosting the Kentucky Wildcats (2-3, 0-2) on Thursday night in an ESPN prime-time national broadcast. Kickoff is slated for 7:45 p.m. USC head coach Lou Holtz met with the media on Monday to preview this week's match-up and offered the following comments:

(on recent practice work)
"During the last eight or nine days we have had certain things that we wanted to do and improve our football team, and I think we have done that to a certain extent but we have not improved defensively to the extent that I would have liked to improve. One reason for that is the inordinate number of knee injuries that we have had. We have had seven knee ligament injuries this season. That is unusual. Because of all the various ailments, we have had to move too many people around and we really have not been able to fall into a system. Lance Laury's knee not coming along and then Ricardo Hurley hurting his ankle has caused us to move linebackers all around. It is very difficult when you keep having to move people. Now with George Gause's knee injury, trying to get that adjusted has been difficult. We do not have a permanent switch there and that concerns me. We need to find a rush end, and it may be Darel Slay."

(on the defensive line)
"I have to complement Jason Capers. He has been one of the more pleasant surprises and has become a very good football player. For the first time since he hurt his foot last spring, I expect Eric Stroman to play some on Thursday. This will be the first time he will be in a game since last spring. I do not how he will play since he just came back to us. I also think Darrell Shropshire is having a very good week."

(on the offense)
"Offensively, the key is our quarterback. We have thrown the third-most amount of interceptions in the conference and that needs to be reduced greatly. I think Dondrial Pinkins has had a good 10 days of preparation and I feel good about him. I think our offensive line has improved and keeps getting better. Woodly Telfort, Stephen Sene and possibly Chris White will time on Thursday. They are three players who definitely deserve to see more playing time."

(on Kentucky's offense)
"Jared Lorenzen owns every passing and total yardage record at Kentucky and that is pretty impressive when you realize that Tim Couch and some others have played there. Derek Abney was an All-American last year and leads the SEC in all-purpose yardage and is fifth in the country. He is a great return man and is one touchdown return away from setting a NCAA record. He is a very dangerous threat and they run him on reverses and can cause a lot of problems. Their offensive line has two award candidates and is very good to go along with great speed and a tremendous quarterback."

(on the Wildcats)
"Kentucky has played very well. They should be 4-1 and maybe even 5-0 at this point but lost a heartbreaker to Louisville and a game to Florida in which they outplayed them. Rich Brooks is a good football coach and has a changed offense that presents a few more problems than they have in the past, especially with the running game and play-action pass. Their offense is No. 1 in the SEC is red-zone scoring."

USC Gamecock

Forum Member
Dec 5, 2000
Williams-Brice
Anytime homerh. Didn't mean to hijack your thread, just wanted to give everyone some information. I hope the Gamecocks can pull it out this week. This will be Holtz's first Thursday HOME game, and USC's first Thursday HOME game in a while. Billy Brice should be rocking come gametime. GO COCKS!! :D

Cie

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 30, 2003
New Orleans
Holtz is sandbagging. They are gonna play very well defensively IMO.:weed:

GL.........

USC Gamecock

Forum Member
Dec 5, 2000
Williams-Brice
Thursday night ESPN game looms on Carolina schedule

Oct. 7, 2003

The Gamecocks continued their preparation for Thursday night's home contest vs. Kentucky with a two-hour workout on the practice fields across from Williams-Brice Stadium. Carolina is looking for its first SEC victory of the season in its first conference home game of 2003. Assistant head coach/offensive coordinator Skip Holtz met with the media following Tuesday's session and offered the following comments:

(on today's practice)
"It was a good practice overall. I think the enthusiasm is picking up again. Practicing last week with an open date means you are going against each other and not getting ready for an opponent, almost like spring ball in the sense that you are not getting ready for a game. Our players came back this week with a great attitude and are working extremely hard. There are an awful lot of good things."

(on the Kentucky game)
"I am anxious to see our team play and see if we can play with the amount of enthusiasm and effort we did against Tennessee. This is a very important game to us, as I am sure it is to Kentucky. It is a conference game and a night game in front of our fans. I think our players are excited about being in this type of environment."

(on the health of the wide receivers)
"Troy Williamson has been pretty much full speed all week. His injury has not hindered his performance; it was something that needed rest. We gave him a couple days off last weekend and coming back this week he has been great and feels 100 percent. Matthew Thomas is doing well and as a group, I think our receivers are all healthy at this time."

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

wideopen

Forum Member
Jan 17, 2003
Holtz is in midseason form. The more he complains the better his team does.