Changing Baseball

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

z2000

Forum Member
Apr 7, 2000
Milwaukee,WI,USA
Okay, so there is another strike on the horizon. The fans are saying they are not coming back. I think the game will be better off if they start over from scratch.

Im talking about a whole new league with new rules, new owners, the whole nine yards.

What would you do to make it better?

I was thinking performance based contracts would be nice. For example, if you hit .250 you get 300,000. If you hit .300 you get $1M. If you hit .350 you get $2M.

So what would you do?

Felonious Monk

Site Owner
Forum Member
Oct 26, 2001
Austin, TX
They had better start worrying about where they will find future generation of fans, at least at the level to keep them an elite sport. They could find themselves like soccer -- lots of kids play soccer, but wouldn't walk across the street to watch it after they quit playing.

It will be interesting to see what kind of national TV contract they get the next time around. They have pissed off just about every network.

How dumb is major league baseball? Bud Selig stiffs Fox after the All-Star game, because ESPN had the post-game press conference rights. Now there is a smart move.

Neither side gets it.

If I were one of the 8 or 10 so-called hard line owners who are talking about wanting a strike, and wanting it to last for a year so they can blow everything up and start again, I would remember one of my mother's favorite sayings,

"Be careful of what you want, because you just might get it."

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

bigdad2

Forum Member
Sep 10, 2001
NJ, USA
z2000- Contracts based on performance only are illegal in baseball. The "Black Sox" Scandal was caused mainly because their owner witheld Eddie Seacott for three weeks from the pitching rotation at the end of season. He told the media it was due to "saving him for the postseason", but really Seacott would be due a $10,000 bonus if he won 30 games. Guess how many he finished the regular season with? 29...

Now imagine a team in a pennant race on the last day of the season. A player comes to bat in the 8th inning and is given a bunt sign. He has 29 HR for the season and gets a bonus of $5,000,000 should he reach 30. Does he really bunt??

I totally agree with you that changes must be made in baseball with both salaries and a salary cap evening out the playing field.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

z2000

Forum Member
Apr 7, 2000
Milwaukee,WI,USA
Now imagine a team in a pennant race on the last day of the season. A player comes to bat in the 8th inning and is given a bunt sign. He has 29 HR for the season and gets a bonus of $5,000,000 should he reach 30. Does he really bunt??

That's a really good point. I didnt think of that scenario. Now I dont know what to do about the contracts. I guess not making them guaranteed would be a good first step.

I think the tigers will have a chance at a penant if Bud can contract all the teams but the Brewers & the D-Rays. There is just so much wrong with the sport.

selkirk

Forum Member
Jul 16, 1999
Canada
"Which will happen first, Tigers win the pennant or Red Sox win the World Series? Discuss."

if you are a Red Sox fan you know the answer :(

thanks
selkirk

Neemer

Forum Member
Aug 24, 1999
Bluegrass!
I was thinking performance based contracts would be nice. For example, if you hit .250 you get 300,000. If you hit .300 you get $1M. If you hit .350 you get $2M.

So what would you do?

I'd sure as hell wouldn't want my two young kids to be pitchers!
:D :D :D

The fans strike tonight at 12:00 a.m. I can't wait to see how many empty seats are at the numerous ballparks on Thursday! There hasn't been a lot of talk about Donald Fehr, but I sincerely believe he's been the major ASSHOLE and idiot during the whole proceedings leading up to this point. I think if ya get rid of Fehr and Bud Selig, this whole situation would be a tad more manageable.

Whatever the case, I really don't give a big rat's ass anymore, and the majority of TRUE baseball fans WILL NOT be back. With the starting of football season on the horizon, I don't think they could've picked a worse time to call a strike.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

acehistr8

Senior Pats Fan
Forum Member
Jun 20, 2002
Northern VA
My fixes for baseball

My fixes for baseball

OVERPRICED PRIMA DONNA BITCHES :bigun: :bigun: :bigun:

OVERPAID GREEDY FAT BASTARD OWNERS:bigun: :bigun: :bigun:

Me and my buds with free suds in the owners box:drinky: :drinky: :drinky: