Charger's question

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

4bubba

Forum Member
Jun 10, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
Talk about balls!!

***Starters*** from last year on defense:

OLB Seau --- cut (call it what you want)

SS Harrison --- cut

FS Beckett --- cut

CB Molden --- cut

CB NcNeal --- switched to FS

This years projected starters

CB Jammer -- drafted last year 1st round.

CB Davis -- drafted 1st round this year

CB Florence -- drafted 2nd round this year

SS Lassiter -- from Arizona Cardinals free agent ??

SS Kiel -- 2nd round draft pick this year.

Its going to take a while for these young guys to learn to play together. Unfortunately the first games are:

@KC
DEN
Bal (a break offensively)
@OAK

3 tough division passing teams the first 4 games. It wont be pretty.

ChuckyTheGoat

Forum Member
Dec 18, 2000
My guess is that Lassiter will play great, like a lion out of the cage. He has to be thrilled to get out of the Cardinal jersey.

Vegas Dave

Forum Member
Jul 23, 2002
Actually I think their secondary will be fine.

Their very soft against the run though.

They need Brees to really develop into something more than what he did last year if this team has a prayer.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Vegas Dave

Forum Member
Jul 23, 2002
I'm just curious......what do you think of Brees? Do you think he will develop into to a top notch starter? or is he just mediocre?

I remember on draft day when the Chargers traded down and got Tomlinson instead of Vick, and then got the QB that they needed in the second round (Brees) I thought they had made a steal.

For me its really tough to say how good he will be. I can't tell if its the conservative run-based offense he's in or if he is maybe lacking armstrength. Offensive line wasn't great for SD last year, and his receiver weren't anything special either so that could be the problem.

I know its still early in his career, but I can't get a good read on him just yet.

ELVIS

Forum Member
Sep 25, 2002
memphis
i watched brees at purdue several times. he definitely benefited from tiller's system. brees is a decent qb. i think he would e better if marty was not there, and he had better receivers. i guess we will see this year with boston becomin a charger. the chargers are always good on def, and marty will play ball control as much as possible. i could be wrong, but i have watched marty for years, and he hasn't changed yet. look for the chargers to make the playoffs soon and lose after the 1st/2nd round. marty ball doesn't win playoff games. ask the the chiefs. the chargers scare me every year- getting tomlinson a year ago was huge for them.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Wolftaz

Forum Member
Sep 29, 2001
Tasmania
The addition of Lorenzo Neal should also improve the Chargers offense. The passing game and Tomlinson will definitely benefit from his blocking skills. The Chargers have the base for a very good offense and it will be very interesting to see how well Boston performs this year.

Personally, I have never been a fan of Marty because of his past coaching performances in Cleveland and KC. I think the Chargers are headed in the right direction, but I do not feel Marty can take them to the Superbowl.

:shrug:

ELVIS

Forum Member
Sep 25, 2002
memphis
not trying to start trouble, but marty will never win a sb trophy- too conservative.....

Vegas Dave

Forum Member
Jul 23, 2002
ELVIS

ELVIS

you won't get any anrgument from me.....

but the more I watch the Miami Dolphins and Dave Wanstadt, the more I'm reminded of Schottenheimer. Both get the lead early, and then try to run the ball the rest of the game regardless of how tired the running back is, or how many men are in the box.....

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

4bubba

Forum Member
Jun 10, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
A disclaimer first.

OK- This is Brees 3rd season with S D. I was in S D when QB Dan Fouts was in his 3rd season. He had not done much. Of course, he had a head coach named Coryall.

As I said in the begining, I am not trying to compare Brees and Fouts, just that it takes at least the 3rd year to get comfortable in the NFL.

Schott will adjust if Brees becomes a world-beater, but I dont think it will happen yet, if at all.

Elvis, not to disagree, but the Charger defense has been terrible.
Look at last years stats will confirm this.

NOTE:
The Chargers offense was so bad in years before that teams did not have to do much to win. That is why for years their defense put up "good numbers". Teams didnt have to risk anything. Just get a lead and coast.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!To me that sounds a lot like the Dallas Cowboys now. Last year the Dallas offense was putrid. Teams only had to get a small lead and sit on it. The offense would self-destruct.
Thats why Dallas defense stats were not bad.
Watch; as the offensive stats get better (it may take a couple of years) the defensive stats will go the opposite direction.

Last edited:

ELVIS

Forum Member
Sep 25, 2002
memphis
bubba4, you are probably correct. being a Raiders fan, i have watched the beloved struggle against seau and co. for a while. it has never made any sense to me- the chargers struggle w/seattle and play oaktown tough. i did not check the stats from last year. i just know the raiders have struggled to beat the bolts every year for quite some time. probably due to being familiar w/ each other rather than the bolts being that good. :shrug:

4bubba

Forum Member
Jun 10, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
The main thing to watch on defense for the Chargers is their defensive line (DT).

The starters are good, but there is no quality depth behind them.

Jamal Williams is the stud at DT, but thats it. If you see him on the injury report, bet the other team.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Vegas Dave

Forum Member
Jul 23, 2002
Don't forget the linebackers. This team is very thin at that position too. To be honest I thought they had a very good secondary last year. Jammer is good, Ryan McNeil was a stud a year ago, Molden is a decent 3rd guy, and Rodney Harrison is usually a pro-bowler. Problem is that this team would get run on like a treadmill, forcing them to focus more on the run then the pass, and then they got burned.

Mainly why Marty-Ball doesn't work with this team is because they don't have a good enough defense for it to work.

This team has problems on the O-line too.......