Chicago/Toronto This Past Saturday

Tiger

Forum Member
Jul 14, 1999
Guys, I just felt I wanted to share a real "feel-good" story from this past Saturday night.

I was able to get two tickets to the Chicago/Toronto NHL game in Toronto and took my 12 year old son. The game was very entertaining with a penalty shot, a game misconduct and of course, a 4-1 Leaf win for my son, since his favourite team is the Leafs.

But the real highlight of the night came after the game. Through a contact, I was able to get the two of us down to the corridor outside the Chicago dressing room where we waited with about 20 other people for the Hawks. After about 15 minutes, the Chicago players started emerging...........first rookie Mark Bell, and then Bob Probert and Steve Sullivan came out. My son went right up to them, asking them very politely for autographs. They gladly obliged and were very polite back.

Soon after it was Igor Korolev who talked Russian to my son as he signed and then Eric Daze and Boris Mironov. To a man, ALL the Chicago players were polite and personable as they signed autographs and talked to the kids and adults. It was amazing!

Next out was Chicago star Tony Amonte and all the kids recognized him right away and rushed to get his autograph. Then coach Brian Sutter emerged and took his turn signing and was good enough to pose for pictures with all the kids.

And then Hall of Famer Denis Savard, now an assistant coach, came out and took time to pose for photos with all the kids. Next up was Steve Sullivan posing for a picture with the kids and it'll be hard to pick him out of that photo cause he's the same size as all the 12 year olds!

And just when you thought it was over, who comes strolling down the hallway but Don Cherry in his yellow suit. And he was great with the kids. He took lots of time to sign autographs, talk to all the kids, and then pose for pictures with all of them.

It was a great time to be a proud Dad as my son went from hero to hero to hero and it was simply awesome to see these professional athletes take the time to sign and talk and wait for photos.

In these times of rich, spoiled brats playing pro sports, this was a breath of fresh air and I want to thank the Chicago Blackhawks and also Don Cherry for giving my son memories that will last a lifetime.

Tiger

TexasBC6

Forum Member
Dec 10, 2000
Austin, TX
Just goes to show what good people hockey players generally are. You don't hear about many off the ice problems. Glad your son got a chance to meet those guys, must have been a real thrill.

Sam

Forum Member
Oct 16, 2001
Nice to hear Tiger. IF you goto the leafs game on the 11th against Phoenix, i can most likely get you down there, although there isn't any real stars on the squad.

ND2002HORNS

Forum Member
Tiger,

Just incredible. Glad to hear. You don't hear too often that an NHLer snubbed someone of a autograph or photo opportunity. There are so many great stories when it comes to NHLers, too bad we can't say the same about the NBA, MLB & NFL. There have been many times when I have been out downtown only to run into Wade Redden, Marian Hossa, Radek Bonk or Patrick Lalime, etc...and they are dressed in a top and jeans just like you and I. They shake your hand and chat with you about anything, just great people. My girlfriend and I had the chance 2 years ago to meet Brett Hull and Guy Carbonneau when the Stars were in town, they shook hands with us and we got a couple of photots with them as well. They even chatted with us for a good 10 minutes. Situations like these go a long way in bringing fans to the rink.

Props to NHLers!

HORNS

Chenker

Forum Member
Jul 2, 2001
CA
That is what makes the NHL so great, the players are real and don't have big egos. Best professional sport in my opinion. Tiger, your story brings back memories of my childhood of meeting players at the forum in LA. LA is defintely not a great hockey city but when they had the Great One and a supporting cast the forum used to get pretty loud. I remember attending some great playoff games against the Oil, Habs (in the finals), and Leafs.

wigs

Forum Member
Jan 27, 2001
austin, tx,usa
i used to see hull out in dallas when i lived there for a year or sometimes when i would go visit some friends, the guy is so laid back...dallas is very much a superficial city with notions of $'s strewn about. hull was always very casual and even had shorts and a tshirt one time. he also could pound brew pretty quickly...amazing that the NHL is about the only league where everyone really understands that sports are a team concept and you win as one and lose as one. i always love hearing hockey interviews also, as the players are quick to give praise to the teammates and the opposition...glad to hear you were able to give your son such a lasting memory, good stuff, Tiger!

[This message has been edited by wigs (edited 12-03-2001).]

Bet on MyBookie